Sponsored

Anyone regret installing Rubicon suspension on Sport?

jdusza1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’m inclined to do it, but I don’t want to mess up a good thing. My Sport handles impeccably, and tracks like a train.

I have two concerns:

1. Warranty. If I have front suspension problems down the road, could this swap negate or complicate warranty?

2. While I’d like the 1.5” lift, better shocks, and greater load capacity without sagging, I don’t want to introduce handling issues.

Thoughts? And especially, experience from those who have made the swap?

Thanks.

Edit: Moderators, I know where this thread belongs. I just hope you will leave it up here for a bit. It isn’t a hardcore suspension thread, and will get much more exposure to the people whose experience I seek here. TIA. Joe
I have done this with no issues for 4 months now.
Sponsored

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The rubicon springs are about 0.8 inch taller than sport springs. The only regret I have is not waiting longer to do a bigger lift and tires. Now I’ll have to buy tires twice.

5Petes

First Name
Rustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in Punkn
I did it to my JLU Sport S with the shorter springs this weekend and got closer to 2” of lift. The springs I got were the higher part numbers from a JLUR with hard top and tow package. The ride is a bit stiffer, but not bad for the intended capacities. At the same time I put on the rubicon BFG KO2 from the same donor vehicle, so they’re quite a bit stiffer too.

I figure adding rails and anything else will end up reducing the lift and soften the ride back up. I’ve only driven 70 miles so that’s just my initial observation and the wife hasn’t had a turn yet to get her opinion.

I thought about the “wasted money” but this made a solid difference to the look without modding a ton and buys my time while I plan what I really want to do long term. If it’s a failed experiment it will take a short afternoon to put it back.

jeff00454

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel,
I installed the Rubicon suspension and 1/2" spacers on my 2019 Sport "S" Unlimited and I can tell you it is an awesome upgrade. Ride is the same and handling and tracking improved greatly. I also have the Rubi tires and wheels upgrade with the Falken M/T tires. The springs and spacers provided about 2" of lift, maybe 35's when these tires wear out.

IMG_0098.JPG

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I installed the Rubicon suspension and 1/2" spacers on my 2019 Sport "S" Unlimited and I can tell you it is an awesome upgrade. Ride is the same and handling and tracking improved greatly. I also have the Rubi tires and wheels upgrade with the Falken M/T tires. The springs and spacers provided about 2" of lift, maybe 35's when these tires wear out.

IMG_0098.JPG

I like the look of that. Pic saved to stare at.

Sponsored

5Petes

First Name
Rustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in Punkn
Here is an updated pic of mine with the doors back on. Got her all shined back up after a messy 4th of July.

After 1k miles I’m still happy with it. The ride is still a bit stiffer but for what I wanted for now I’m still pleased with it.

81863D51-0972-40AE-849B-94F2D4661807.jpeg

B07C890C-A685-4192-94B6-ED1400AE76CE.jpeg

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
If you’re putting rubicon suspension on your sport then your sport will ride like the rubicon. If you can test drive one or have a friend that has one you can drive before you do it , might help you. Only going up 1-1/2” won’t change your geometry. As for warranty, you can always ask your dealer about it before you do anything. Now all that said, just so happens I have my take off suspension for sale....:)
My guess is . . . well not exactly ? The Sport S lacks the Rubicon's "items" that make IT the Off Road King; beyond the Springs/Shocks stuff ! Those 2 items along with perhaps a Mild Spacer set to level the Sport S is ALL that I'd be interested in doing -- my off road interests are NOT "Rubi-Core" -- just get me to the River & back . . . & I'm good . But you know being a Jeep We all gotta do something to make it our own ! ;)

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder

IMG_0098.JPG

Hellakindawishminewasyella now.

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Just wondering if anyone used the stock length LCA or if they added the ones from the mopar lift when putting on the Rubi suspension? I was planning on it but it's been well over a month since I ordered them and no idea when they will actually arrive.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering if anyone used the stock length LCA or if they added the ones from the mopar lift when putting on the Rubi suspension? I was planning on it but it's been well over a month since I ordered them and no idea when they will actually arrive.
All I changed out was the shocks and springs, then adjusted the alignment. The control arms, and all other components remain as they were.

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have a rubicon suspension with 1/2” spacers on all 4 corners.

Initially I kept the original length lower control arms; it drove the same as before, best I could tell. I did add the longer Mopar LCAs that come with the Mopar lift about a month later, and there is an improvment in the tracking even compared to before I added the rubicon shocks/springs.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
My lca's arrived yesterday after about a 5 week wait. So there may be hope.

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I'm still holding out hope but I'm almost up to 7 weeks!

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
So last question about the rubi suspension. Did anyone change out the bump stops, or are they also the same? Will a bit of a larger tire (stock rubi size) rub if being flexed?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
So last question about the rubi suspension. Did anyone change out the bump stops, or are they also the same? Will a bit of a larger tire (stock rubi size) rub if being flexed?
Just used stock Rubi LCA, and parts. Had a front end alignment. Over 4000 miles later, still working great. No Bump Stop changes. Then again, no hard rock crawling done.
Sponsored