Sponsored

Anyone regret getting 20 inch wheels?

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
My question was not directed at one person it was out of honest curiosity.

There are a lot of truck tires that ride better quieter and more fuel efficient than an A T Tire.
Sponsored

OP
OP
flyingmonkey

flyingmonkey

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (SOLD), RAM 1500 LARAMIE
My question was not directed at one person it was out of honest curiosity.

There are a lot of truck tires that ride better quieter and more fuel efficient than an A T Tire.
Like what? I’m all ears...

hogpowr

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Tirerack.com has an option to put in your make and model etc. Then you can choose to go to 20” wheels. Then it will give you tires to choose from. Each tire has a description, plus buyers reviews.

Sponsored

Blubyrd3

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Obvi your gonna feel a difference from stock to lift and tire . My Rig still gets great response and control with zero issues and avg 17.5 mpg .

Your rig your call

026a.jpg

37's.jpg

042.jpg
What rims and tires are those?

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
What rims and tires are those?
If you visit my Garage in this forum it has all the details

Toyo Open Country MT 37 x 12.5 R20
and Black Rhino Warlords in Gunmetal

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a personal choice thing but if you want a bling bling baller ride there are cars with better rides and nicer interiors.. a Jeep is an off-road vehicle and should be on 17s or max 18s to allow for a nice sidewalk to use for traction in sand and to mold around rocks and grip them... also the big Berger tires is just a more appropriate look for the vehicles use.. so basically I regret when other people put 20s on jeeps lol but respect your rig your ride and everyone likes what they like

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
It’s a personal choice thing but if you want a bling bling baller ride there are cars with better rides and nicer interiors.. a Jeep is an off-road vehicle and should be on 17s or max 18s to allow for a nice sidewalk to use for traction in sand and to mold around rocks and grip them... also the big Berger tires is just a more appropriate look for the vehicles use.. so basically I regret when other people put 20s on jeeps lol but respect your rig your ride and everyone likes what they like
Didn't really add to the discussion since you don't currently have, nor apparently ever have had 20s on your Jeep. Thanks for your opinion though.

I maintain that a Jeep on 20s, so long as you're on at least 35s or taller, is still far more capable off road than most. Bring that tire height to 37s and you have approximately the same sidewall to wheel ratio as a stock Rubicon on 33x17s. A JL so equipped, and with an appropriate lift, will likely tackle all but the harshest and most extreme trails. Not everyone wants to subject their ride to that type of trail in the first place.

Me, I just ordered a set 20in Hostile Predators and wrapping them with 37x12.50R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I do plan to wheel pretty hard once I have my lift in, and I will report my findings here, either good or bad.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't really add to the discussion since you don't currently have, nor apparently ever have had 20s on your Jeep. Thanks for your opinion though.

I maintain that a Jeep on 20s, so long as you're on at least 35s or taller, is still far more capable off road than most. Bring that tire height to 37s and you have approximately the same sidewall to wheel ratio as a stock Rubicon on 33x17s. A JL so equipped, and with an appropriate lift, will likely tackle all but the harshest and most extreme trails. Not everyone wants to subject their ride to that type of trail in the first place.

Me, I just ordered a set 20in Hostile Predators and wrapping them with 37x12.50R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I do plan to wheel pretty hard once I have my lift in, and I will report my findings here, either good or bad.

Just saying the 2 extra inches of sidewalk would help a lot with flex and grip, as well as ballooning out to protect rim from rocks, it’s also extra cushioning against washboarding, and the longer spikes of a 20” are more prone breakage.. I am not saying you can’t wheel them, just that it’s not really an optimal set up.. and for a steel axle vehicle, on stiffer shocks, it’s not an optimal for on road ride quality either.. if you like the look then you like the look, but for me it is something i would likely regret, since I regret going with 18s in my jku and plan to go with 17s on my jlu after learning those lessons.. I wheel my rig on 18s and my business partners on 17s both on 35s and I can feel a difference

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Just saying the 2 extra inches of sidewalk would help a lot with flex and grip, as well as ballooning out to protect rim from rocks, it’s also extra cushioning against washboarding, and the longer spikes of a 20” are more prone breakage.. I am not saying you can’t wheel them, just that it’s not really an optimal set up.. and for a steel axle vehicle, on stiffer shocks, it’s not an optimal for on road ride quality either.. if you like the look then you like the look, but for me it is something i would likely regret, since I regret going with 18s in my jku and plan to go with 17s on my jlu after learning those lessons.. I wheel my rig on 18s and my business partners on 17s both on 35s and I can feel a difference
Good post. You're for sure correct. To be seen is these factors will be enough to give me regret down the line. If I do, I'm screwed because this stuff is too expensive! I am likely stuck with them. I did consider 18s as a compromise, but was hella hard to find wheels and tires I liked as the its such a rare combo. Again, will report my findings back on this thread after I've lived with them awhile.
Sponsored