Sponsored

Anyone played with or connected with the CAN-BUS data line?

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I have an aftermarket device that I want to install and it needs to connect to the CAN BUS data line. Was wondering if anyone had to connect to that for anything, and if the Jeep's CAN-BUS is similar to other vehicles? I'm assuming all Jeeps have the same CAN BUS, but if not, my question applies to the JLUR.

I guess the real question is are CAN-BUS generic, or is it something that has different specs based on each car/manufacturer?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I guess the real question is are CAN-BUS generic, or is it something that has different specs based on each car/manufacturer?
The CANBUS is specific to each vehicle type and manufacturer.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
The CANBUS is specific to each vehicle type and manufacturer.
So if there is an aftermarket device that works with the Tesla CANBUS, do you think there would be any issues connecting it to a JLUR 4xe?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So if there is an aftermarket device that works with the Tesla CANBUS, do you think there would be any issues connecting it to a JLUR 4xe?
If it's specifically for Tesla, then no.

Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Well it's not specifically made for tesla but for EV/PHEV so can the CAN BUS be generic for electric vehicles?
I don't know if you're still interested in this or not, but no, they're not going to be shared or generic. Not at all.

I just started reverse engineering and documenting the Wrangler's CAN-C and CAN-IHS busses. You're absolutely welcome to join me! What I've done over the past few days is regularly added to the document that's attached to this message. If you're still interested, it'd be more fun to explore with others!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I don't know if you're still interested in this or not, but no, they're not going to be shared or generic. Not at all.

I just started reverse engineering and documenting the Wrangler's CAN-C and CAN-IHS busses. You're absolutely welcome to join me! What I've done over the past few days is regularly added to the document that's attached to this message. If you're still interested, it'd be more fun to explore with others!
Ha, I was reading this thread as it came on new posts and was thinking, I bet the systems engineer who was data logging the trans hesitation would have something to add.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon

Thanks for the info. Actually I went ahead and ordered the device and had it installed a few months ago. Basically I added an electronic exhaust to my 4xe to add exhaust sounds while driving in electric. Typing it out, sounds lame, but the sound is authentic. Since it's connected to the CAN-BUS, the sounds are aligned when you accelerate. I detailed the device and how it works here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/lj’s-4xe-…with-active-exhaust-sound-system.73901/

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Thanks for the info. Actually I went ahead and ordered the device and had it installed a few months ago. Basically I added an electronic exhaust to my 4xe to add exhaust sounds while driving in electric.
Ah. If it worked, then it had to have been connecting to the OBD2 port! (Which also speaks the CAN protocol.) Regardless, I'm excited for you! You better believe I'm going read through that thread to see what all happened. Thanks for the link!

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
... Basically I added an electronic exhaust to my 4xe to add exhaust sounds while driving in electric. Typing it out, sounds lame, but the sound is authentic.
Meh, after 57 years, I've gotten kinda bored with that. The idea is cool, but I want something else. I mean, this is the 21st century... So even if I can't have a Jetsons flying car, I can at least sound like one, right?

Sponsored

Last edited: