Sponsored

Anyone park outside in the cold? No rhyme or reason as to whether or not the seat heater and heated steering wheel activate after a remote start.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
It was just 28 degrees outside this morning and neither was on this time. The other day it was 27 degrees and when I went out to check the Jeep both those convenience heaters were on and toasty.

My wife has told me a few times that these heaters weren't activated and I figured maybe it had something to do with the ambient air temperature not being quite cold enough. However, unless the activation point is 27 degrees, this doesn't seem to hold true. And I could almost swear there was a time or three recently at say 38-40+ degrees the heaters were on when I checked.

I'm going to try to keep better track, but I'm almost thinking this is some sort of temperature sensor issue. I just can't imagine a vehicle built with remote start in the last 10 years that doesn't have these types of heaters come on at 32 degrees fahrenheit or less. I thought most actually would come on about 40.

I did look through the settings the other day, but didn't find anything that looked amiss.

Oh yeah the high idle seems to be tied to the same system. I haven't heard it come on consistently.
Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
The steering and seat heat should be activated at something like 38-40deg if I recall right. However, if you're parked in the sun or the sensor is reading high before moving I bet that they won't kick on.

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It was just 28 degrees outside this morning and neither was on this time. The other day it was 27 degrees and when I went out to check the Jeep both those convenience heaters were on and toasty.

My wife has told me a few times that these heaters weren't activated and I figured maybe it had something to do with the ambient air temperature not being quite cold enough. However, unless the activation point is 27 degrees, this doesn't seem to hold true. And I could almost swear there was a time or three recently at say 38-40+ degrees the heaters were on when I checked.

I'm going to try to keep better track, but I'm almost thinking this is some sort of temperature sensor issue. I just can't imagine a vehicle built with remote start in the last 10 years that doesn't have these types of heaters come on at 32 degrees fahrenheit or less. I thought most actually would come on about 40.

I did look through the settings the other day, but didn't find anything that looked amiss.

Oh yeah the high idle seems to be tied to the same system. I haven't heard it come on consistently.
Not sure on the JL but on the KL it is a setting in Uconnect. Mine is set for 40 so when I remote start it if the temperature sensor determines it is 40 or below, I can set whether I want them to come on. I "think" I can also set the temperature but it has been a while since I looked at those settings.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
39 degrees is the cutoff to turn them on. The ambient thermometer reads higher than actual when the vehicle is stationary in the sun so they won’t turn on below 40 actual on occasion.

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
The auto turn on for the heated options (and vented options in other models) is based on a pre-set temp range. (I REALLY wish you change the temp range in the settings!)
The problem is that wherever the temp is being read form is HIGHLY inaccurate. I can get in the car from work where it's been parked for hours under overcast skies with temps in the mid-30's and the dash will say the outside temp is 45, so nothing turned on. Other times, I can get in when it's been sitting in the sun with temps in the mid-40's and the heaters turn on because the car thinks it mid-30's. Literally no rhyme or reason to why the temp gauge thinks what it does. It DOES start reading correctly after just a mile or two of driving, but that doesn't help with the comfort items that are supposed to turn on automatically.

Sponsored

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

Mine works. I have noticed that after I start the engine and I'm still parked, the temp seems to read high. Once I get down the street it starts dropping significantly and does seem to read very accurately after it stabilizes.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I put a grille cover on mine to get the oil/coolant up to temp in the AK winter...the outside thermometer must be near the radiator in the engine bay because the ambient temps I see on the screens now are hilarious at best...upwards of 80 degrees warmer than actual. It needs to sit for quite a while longer for the engine bay to cool enough to trigger the seat/wheel heaters when I turn it on. First world problems I guess.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone park outside in the cold? No rhyme or reason as to whether or not the seat heater and heated steering wheel activate after a remote start. 18904C06-F62E-48FB-9605-1DF7AB39E1DD

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
So I put a grille cover on mine to get the oil/coolant up to temp in the AK winter...the outside thermometer must be near the radiator in the engine bay because the ambient temps I see on the screens now are hilarious at best...upwards of 80 degrees warmer than actual. It needs to sit for quite a while longer for the engine bay to cool enough to trigger the seat/wheel heaters when I turn it on. First world problems I guess.
Is there enough cable length such that you could relocate the sensor to the outside?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there enough cable length such that you could relocate the sensor to the outside?
I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to splice in an extension even if there wasn’t, but I’d have to find the damn sensor first lol.

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
I checked mine tonight when leaving the office. It had been sitting for roughly 5 hours (the last hour in the dark) and the temp never got above 60 today. When I got in, it was telling me it was 77, but by the time I made it home (about 4 miles) is was reading correctly at 47.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
In my experience, Jeep hasn’t gotten this feature right since my 2012 WK2.

Like everyone has said, it’s supposed to come on at 39F, but the sensor doesn’t always get it right.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I checked mine tonight when leaving the office. It had been sitting for roughly 5 hours (the last hour in the dark) and the temp never got above 60 today. When I got in, it was telling me it was 77, but by the time I made it home (about 4 miles) is was reading correctly at 47.
It was about 35F in my garage yesterday, and when I got into the Jeep the thermometer was saying 70 degrees, after sitting unused all day.

Thermometer has been whacked out for days now for no discernible reason. Not sitting in the sunlight, not being used, no warm engine bay.

Anybody know the fuse for this? I may try that trick (it worked on my USB port when it stopped working).

Gonna have to take photos of my XM presets before I try.
Sponsored