Sponsored

Anyone Order the Mopar Cold Air Intake from the Factory?

wisconmd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 2018
I had it in my initial order on my 22 diesel, the salesman called me back and told me that it was a hard stop on the order due to supply chain issues. I did some research as to whether this was a worthy aftermarket endeavor. The best answer I could find was any benefit was anecdotal.
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have one on my JLR and only post from experience. I have only seen a Mopar CAI on 3.6 motors and do not believe they are available on any other motor.
Mopar says there is a performance benefit with their Mopar CAI and they are the only one's who tested it. The only information these Mopar CAI threads continue to expose is miss information and NO Dyno runs of a Mopar CAI to disprove the claim. Some members mention Mopar CAI filters having poor filtration. If you know Mopar's system, it has the option of using the stock disposable paper or the kits dry, high flow washable filter. Both have the same shape and fit in the filter box the same. The dry high flow filter is twice as thick BTW. Another mention is possible water intake issues with the hood intake. FYI, the hood vent has a manual door to close it off and draw air from the grill area like a stock 3.6 intake. So you could still push water over the hood as successfully:whatsgoingon: has before. Many post opinions they've heard and about experience with another brands under hood air intakes. I have my reservations as too under hood intakes true CAI values.
I have no proof to support Mopars performance claim, so why do I have one on my JLR. Because I swapped a Sahara owner hoods and got $500 cash. He wanted the Rubi hood vent look and I did not. I wanted the real vent look and Mopar was/is the only factory option. I wanted the rarity and look it gave my JLR. If there is a performance gain, that's just icing on the cake to me. Some are interested in sound. I have deleted the muffler and run M/T tires, so induction sound isn't distinguishable from the drivers seat. Cheers

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I had it in my initial order on my 22 diesel, the salesman called me back and told me that it was a hard stop on the order due to supply chain issues. I did some research as to whether this was a worthy aftermarket endeavor. The best answer I could find was any benefit was anecdotal.
Livernois did test some CAI's ( not sure what ones) and there were gains in the upper RPM range. There have been tests on the effects of ram air with positive benefits on other cars. GMHTP did a track test on a ram air kit for a trans am. Average gains were 2 tenths which is a 20 hp gain.

Now, all I am saying is ram air can work. I had no expectations of any gains when I installed this. I do have a Livernois tune though and they will certainly compliment eachother.

NJMAX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
It seemed to help my MPG when I cut the hood vent. Nothing scientific on my part though. A bit more sound when you give it throttle but quieter at idle. I did it mainly because I love the look of it.
@BrntWS6 I love the look of it too. So, for air flow does the Mopar CAI pull air from the OEM inlet air duct near the radiator and OEM lower air box or do you disconnect that to pull from the new cutout vent? Or can it use both?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
@BrntWS6 I love the look of it too. So, for air flow does the Mopar CAI pull air from the OEM inlet air duct near the radiator and OEM lower air box or do you disconnect that to pull from the new cutout vent? Or can it use both?
All that stays the same. Your just changing the upper lid, intermediate pipe and the hood vent if desired. Nothing else changes.

Sponsored

NJMAX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
All that stays the same. Your just changing the upper lid, intermediate pipe and the hood vent if desired. Nothing else changes.
@BrntWS6 I‘m going to stop bother soon I promise :) Now my question is for the vent that’s cut into the hood. How does it get air directly into the CAI? Is there a tube that takes the air from the vent to the CAI or does it just add general air flow into the engine compartment? I very much appreciate your time.

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I just received my 2022 Rubicon with factory installed CAI. No vent kit was in my goodie bag when I picked it up. I'm just now figuring out that it should have been there...I think. It's still not clear to me if the factory installs the main components and then just supplies the customer with the vent option in a bag (instructions, template, etc...). Besides that issue, which I will be finding out soon, the thing sounds great. Really hitting the gas makes a great sound on the 3.6. It should be noted that the only option you can get for a Rubi automatic is the 3.6 etorque. Is there someone out there who also had the factory option and didn't get the hood vent kit? or did my dealer steal mine before I showed up? hahaha

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I just received my 2022 Rubicon with factory installed CAI. No vent kit was in my goodie bag when I picked it up. I'm just now figuring out that it should have been there...I think. It's still not clear to me if the factory installs the main components and then just supplies the customer with the vent option in a bag (instructions, template, etc...). Besides that issue, which I will be finding out soon, the thing sounds great. Really hitting the gas makes a great sound on the 3.6. It should be noted that the only option you can get for a Rubi automatic is the 3.6 etorque. Is there someone out there who also had the factory option and didn't get the hood vent kit? or did my dealer steal mine before I showed up? hahaha
I bought a 2023 JLUR Etorque XR off the lot and it has the factory installed Mopar CAI. No hood cut out and there was no hood vent kit. I know the dealer very well and no way they would cheat me on the small accessory.
I am not going to cut the hood. I will just use it as installed by the factory.Will do some more research and at most may change the less restrictive reusable filter with the standard disposable Mopar filter.

Last edited:

Calvin&HobbsJLU

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU
I have 2023 JLUR XR that I ordered from the factory with the Cold Air Intake. I asked the dealer why I was not supplied the hood vent when the vehicle was picked up in Nov of 22. They stated when installed from factory the CAI has a air vent that goes to front grill that is not part of the CAI if you get it after the fact. Then they showed me where it is. It s hard to see, but looking on left side of grill in the opening next to headlights at the bottom left is a vent. Not sure if the are just giving me misinformation or if this actually does go to CAI. I tried to see where it ties in but without taking it apart I cannot. I will see if I can get a picture of it and post it.

I was able to post picture below. I am hoping someone with way more knowledge can verify if this the truth.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I have 2023 JLUR XR that I ordered from the factory with the Cold Air Intake. I asked the dealer why I was not supplied the hood vent when the vehicle was picked up in Nov of 22. They stated when installed from factory the CAI has a air vent that goes to front grill that is not part of the CAI if you get it after the fact. Then they showed me where it is. It s hard to see, but looking on left side of grill in the opening next to headlights at the bottom left is a vent. Not sure if the are just giving me misinformation or if this actually does go to CAI. I tried to see where it ties in but without taking it apart I cannot. I will see if I can get a picture of it and post it.

I was able to post picture below. I am hoping someone with way more knowledge can verify if this the truth.
I had my previous XR with factory CAI. There is no special vent but there is an opening on the side of the grille that it gets its air. I also did not notice any performance difference but the sound does make you smile. It also comes with a washable air filter but please change that air filter to the standard Mopar paper filter which is a better filter IMO, specially if you off road or live in a dry arid environment. The standard filter fits the Mopar CAI.
Sponsored