Anyone NOT have seat covers?

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I just ordered a new Wrangler and am contemplating not putting seat covers on it this time around. The reason is because I personally believe seats look better without being covered.

Have any of you NOT purchased seat covers for your Wrangler? Do the seats hold up well, or do they rub and look worn after a year or two? My wife and I are really clean, so the seats would be vacuumed and etc. My main concern is the material eroding/rubbing from getting in and out of the vehicle.

I know the seats in the 80's and even 90's would start to look really poor after a year or two and the seam closest to the doors would start to tear, but I'm hoping new seats are made with better materials and etc.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I’m 8-9 months in and I don’t have seat covers, I did buy a couple of seat towels for post run, and for the kids post soccer. Like you I try to clean out on a regular basis, so far my seats still look great.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I just ordered a new Wrangler and am contemplating not putting seat covers on it this time around. The reason is because I personally believe seats look better without being covered.

Have any of you NOT purchased seat covers for your Wrangler? Do the seats hold up well, or do they rub and look worn after a year or two? My wife and I are really clean, so the seats would be vacuumed and etc. My main concern is the material eroding/rubbing from getting in and out of the vehicle.

I know the seats in the 80's and even 90's would start to look really poor after a year or two and the seam closest to the doors would start to tear, but I'm hoping new seats are made with better materials and etc.

Thank you.
1½ years no seat covers. Cant cover the beautiful leather seats and hide the Rubicon stitching with a cheap seat cover.

Seats still look brand new, just keep em' clean.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I haven't found any I like (price or aesthetics). I've had my Jeep since Christmas last year and the seats are doing quite well. Now, I don't have small kids (adult kids only) and I don't have animals in my Jeep either. So, that may change the equation :giggle: All in all, I'm pretty happy with the seats. But as soon as I find covers I like, I will put them on. I want to find some with neon green as an option:like:

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I never used seat covers in any of my Jeeps or other vehicles. Unless I had some old junker with a ripped up interior that I didn't want to reupholster, I wouldn't even know why they are needed. I can maybe understand them if you have the top off for months at a time and wanted to protect the interior from birds, sun bleaching, etc. but that is not my situation. Because of this, every time I see a set of seat covers in a vehicle, I think what are they hiding? If I want to keep the seats protected, like when my dog is riding, I use a blanket to cover the seats I'm concerned about.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I don’t have seat covers. I’m about 18 months in. sport S with cloth seats. My attitude is if they get trashed I’ll just recover them.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Mine are holding up just fine, like @ThirtyOne posted if they get to the point that they need a re-cover that would be pretty simple. Now for the back bench we have a doggy bench cover, but that's the only cover I'd ever get.

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
clean and treat the leather at least once a year and it will last and look new for a very long time...

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Thank you.
Let me state up front Chris that I have, by choice, cloth seats. I didn't feel like spending the money for leather, and to be honest, in my case "ignorance is bliss." I've never known from leather seats personally to possibly be induced into believing that their greater comfort is more than justified by their additional price.

I completely get that others, quite possibly who have more experience in both types of seats here would disagree. Like nearly everyone here our wants for our rig exceed our budget so we have to save and prioritize.

That said, I have virtual seat covers ;)

Scotchgard.jpg

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I dont but have planning to get some after offroading with the top down. Entire interior covered in dust. Be nice to pull a seat cover off and toss it in the washing machine. Those $20 towels may do the trick for the occasional time i need that. Instead of $200+ covers

OP
OP
basinite

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Let me state up front Chris that I have, by choice, cloth seats. I didn't feel like spending the money for leather, and to be honest, in my case "ignorance is bliss." I've never known from leather seats personally to possibly be induced into believing that their greater comfort is more than justified by their additional price.

I completely get that others, quite possibly who have more experience in both types of seats here would disagree. Like nearly everyone here our wants for our rig exceed our budget so we have to save and prioritize.

That said, I have virtual seat covers ;)

Scotchgard.jpg
My main concern isn't so much dirt (I can always clean/vacuum), but with wear and tear. Have you ever had any issues with the seat pre-maturely wearing on the area between the driver and door? Basically, the area that you "slide" over when getting in and out. I remember as a kid/teen back in the 80's and 90's, this area would always look like garbage in the older trucks and cars. This is probably why as an adult I have always put seat covers on my vehicles, as well as the wife's.

I really do hate the way seat covers look and they are a rip-off for custom ones that are made to fit the seat.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Factory leather seats here and no covers. Over a year later, they still look brand new with no visible wear.

I wouldn’t really worry about it too much. If the cloth seats get too worn, I’ve seen a number of factory cloth dealer take-offs available for sale cheap when aftermarket leather seats have been installed.

Example, sub $200 for new takeoffs.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283594749116
Sponsored