Anyone NOT have seat covers?

1. basinite

basinite Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Wrangler
    Liked:
    I just ordered a new Wrangler and am contemplating not putting seat covers on it this time around. The reason is because I personally believe seats look better without being covered.

Have any of you NOT purchased seat covers for your Wrangler? Do the seats hold up well, or do they rub and look worn after a year or two? My wife and I are really clean, so the seats would be vacuumed and etc. My main concern is the material eroding/rubbing from getting in and out of the vehicle.

I know the seats in the 80's and even 90's would start to look really poor after a year or two and the seam closest to the doors would start to tear, but I'm hoping new seats are made with better materials and etc.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thank you.

2. Will_Jeep

Will_Jeep Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle(s):
    Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes E400 Coupe
    Liked:
    I’m 8-9 months in and I don’t have seat covers, I did buy a couple of seat towels for post run, and for the kids post soccer. Like you I try to clean out on a regular basis, so far my seats still look great.

3. KnG818

KnG818 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    18 Rubicon
    Liked:
    1½ years no seat covers. Cant cover the beautiful leather seats and hide the Rubicon stitching with a cheap seat cover.

Seats still look brand new, just keep em' clean.

Jeeporama, OldGuyNewJeep and Bryce like this.
  4. Bryce

Bryce Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryce
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Agreed, but I am thinking about a set of the seat towels like this for hot topless days. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Q8UJCM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zBu0DbK339PS2

5. KnG818

KnG818 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    18 Rubicon
    Liked:
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandy
    Vehicle(s):
    17 JKU, 19 JL
    Liked:
    I haven't found any I like (price or aesthetics). I've had my Jeep since Christmas last year and the seats are doing quite well. Now, I don't have small kids (adult kids only) and I don't have animals in my Jeep either. So, that may change the equation :giggle: All in all, I'm pretty happy with the seats. But as soon as I find covers I like, I will put them on. I want to find some with neon green as an option:like:

7. 00Sebby

00Sebby Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR
    Liked:
    Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
    I never used seat covers in any of my Jeeps or other vehicles. Unless I had some old junker with a ripped up interior that I didn't want to reupholster, I wouldn't even know why they are needed. I can maybe understand them if you have the top off for months at a time and wanted to protect the interior from birds, sun bleaching, etc. but that is not my situation. Because of this, every time I see a set of seat covers in a vehicle, I think what are they hiding? If I want to keep the seats protected, like when my dog is riding, I use a blanket to cover the seats I'm concerned about.

blnewt and offset_98 like this.
  8. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Jeep Liberty
    Liked:
    I don’t have seat covers. I’m about 18 months in. sport S with cloth seats. My attitude is if they get trashed I’ll just recover them.

GreyFox and blnewt like this.
  9. Mugzzzee

Mugzzzee Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Hal (aka Mugs)
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR. 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4 x 4
    Liked:
    Retired since 2004
    I have cloth seats and have no plans for seat covers. I spray my seats with Scotchgard periodically and vacuum frequently.

Jennalee, GreyFox and ThirtyOne like this.
  10. blnewt

blnewt Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep JL Sport S, Infiniti G37, Toyota T100 (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
    Liked:
    Mine are holding up just fine, like @ThirtyOne posted if they get to the point that they need a re-cover that would be pretty simple. Now for the back bench we have a doggy bench cover, but that's the only cover I'd ever get.

11. Paluss

Paluss Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Rubicon, 2013 Porsche 911, 2015 Harley CVO Streetglide
    Liked:
    clean and treat the leather at least once a year and it will last and look new for a very long time...

12. Rahneld

Rahneld Banned

First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle(s):
    JL Wrangler
    Liked:
    Let me state up front Chris that I have, by choice, cloth seats. I didn't feel like spending the money for leather, and to be honest, in my case "ignorance is bliss." I've never known from leather seats personally to possibly be induced into believing that their greater comfort is more than justified by their additional price.

I completely get that others, quite possibly who have more experience in both types of seats here would disagree. Like nearly everyone here our wants for our rig exceed our budget so we have to save and prioritize.

That said, I have virtual seat covers ;)

Scotchgard.jpg

Jennalee and Mugzzzee like this.
  13. JLUin818

JLUin818 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU
    Liked:
    I dont but have planning to get some after offroading with the top down. Entire interior covered in dust. Be nice to pull a seat cover off and toss it in the washing machine. Those $20 towels may do the trick for the occasional time i need that. Instead of $200+ covers

14. OP
    OP
    basinite

basinite Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Wrangler
    Liked:
    My main concern isn't so much dirt (I can always clean/vacuum), but with wear and tear. Have you ever had any issues with the seat pre-maturely wearing on the area between the driver and door? Basically, the area that you "slide" over when getting in and out. I remember as a kid/teen back in the 80's and 90's, this area would always look like garbage in the older trucks and cars. This is probably why as an adult I have always put seat covers on my vehicles, as well as the wife's.

I really do hate the way seat covers look and they are a rip-off for custom ones that are made to fit the seat.

15. Agent47

Agent47 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
    Liked:
    Factory leather seats here and no covers. Over a year later, they still look brand new with no visible wear.

I wouldn’t really worry about it too much. If the cloth seats get too worn, I’ve seen a number of factory cloth dealer take-offs available for sale cheap when aftermarket leather seats have been installed.

Example, sub $200 for new takeoffs.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283594749116