Sponsored

Anyone near Sacramento or Bay Area that can program the Jeep to forget start stop

petar7408

First Name
Petar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
3 years into the 2018 JL wrangler and had to replace the battery for $300... Seems silly but I'll bet its the stupid start stop that constantly hits the car at lights. AC, radio etc... all pull from the battery and it seems to be a waste as I can't believe I'm really saving any gas here. I would like the setting to "remember" when we push the button so it will basically stay off. I did this to my BMW 2016 (I can do it if anyone has a BMW) but hopefully someone has the module to plug in and some software - I bought both for my BMW. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
3 years into the 2018 JL wrangler and had to replace the battery for $300... Seems silly but I'll bet its the stupid start stop that constantly hits the car at lights. AC, radio etc... all pull from the battery and it seems to be a waste as I can't believe I'm really saving any gas here. I would like the setting to "remember" when we push the button so it will basically stay off. I did this to my BMW 2016 (I can do it if anyone has a BMW) but hopefully someone has the module to plug in and some software - I bought both for my BMW. Thanks in advance!!
https://www.smartstopstart.com/?gcl...SvDe_DIpPH8WCvCigtI1qAytTu707ZZhoCCAIQAvD_BwE

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@petar7408

There is no programming tool that can "program the Jeep to forget start stop" ... something that you can program one vehicle with and then move to the next vehicle to program that one.

You can though, buy a SmartStopStart unit to deal with ... do, in essence that button push for you.

The small footprint, SmartStopStart unit installs easily in minutes.

When you sell your JL someday, you will be able to easily sell the SmartStopStart unit to a forum member, here, etc. for a few $ less then you paid for it... you will recoop what you paid for the SmartStopStart unit.

Avoid knock off units you find on Amazon and elsewhere that cost a few $ less as the units are known to hiccup/not work on occasion and resale of them is poor. Also, don't buy/use an offering that plugs into the OBDll port.

@SmartStopStart.com is a forum sponsor. Thanks for that SSS!

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-should-have-been-designed.13946/post-2068404

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone near Sacramento or Bay Area that can program the Jeep to forget start stop smartstopstart

Note: The SSS does not ship to Calif. because of California's laws. 8-( Have the small SSS unit shipped to a friend outside of Calif. and have him/her mail it to you in California.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I am very pro the Tazer JL and I do promote it often ....

..... it is nonsensical/ laughable for anyone to recommend the Tazer JL to the OP .... to somebody that merely wants to deal with the ESS button push..

I'm confident that Joe Z. who own's ZAutomotive, would say exactly the same thing..

Sponsored

OP
OP
petar7408

petar7408

First Name
Petar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
There is another option that provides additional functionality. I used the Tazer when I changed out to 37’s and need to adjust my speedo. I did use it to also turn off the start/stop functionality.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_tzr_jll/#accessories
Thanks, I was seeing that a year or two ago because I was also thinking of upgrading my headlights to the LED version, but we never did and the Tazer device became too much for what we needed.

Since the Tazer is a one time programming thing, if you are anywhere up here, I wouldn't mind driving to you to change that one setting if you have an extra 15 minutes :D

OP
OP
petar7408

petar7408

First Name
Petar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
While I am very pro the Tazer JL and I do promote it often ....

..... it is nonsensical/ laughable for anyone to recommend the Tazer JL to the OP .... to somebody that merely wants to deal with the ESS button push..

I'm confident that Joe Z. who own's ZAutomotive, would say exactly the same thing..

If I can't find someone locally with a tazer to use, this device looks like what I would like to have! Seems easy enough to install and nothing else is needed.. Now where to ship to outside california Eh!!

GR8ESC

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thanks, I was seeing that a year or two ago because I was also thinking of upgrading my headlights to the LED version, but we never did and the Tazer device became too much for what we needed.

Since the Tazer is a one time programming thing, if you are anywhere up here, I wouldn't mind driving to you to change that one setting if you have an extra 15 minutes :D
I’m in Loomis. Tomorrow isn’t good, but Friday would be fine.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)

No one can do this for you. The Tazer cannot program the start stop. It disables it via a "live feature". Meaning you must leave it installed into the OBDII port, along with a security gateway bypass module in order for it to work.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one can do this for you. The Tazer cannot program the start stop. It disables it via a "live feature". Meaning you must leave it installed into the OBDII port, along with a security gateway bypass module in order for it to work.
Indeed, it “Non-Menu” Live Function of the Tazer JL so for the Stop/Start feature to work, the Tazer JL hardware needs to be physically in place/installed.

For those reading @unsavory 's post.
It is obvious, to me but may not be obvious to you, that he is using an Original Tazer JL.... A 2 piece affair..

The Original, first programmer for JL to market, the Tazer JL was/is ....a combo affair....

...a Tazer JL module, that plugs into the OBDll port and plus a dedicated security gateway bypass module in use. That accounts for his comment where he said ... "must leave it installed into the OBDII port, along with a security gateway bypass module

The Tazer JL we purchase today from ZAutomotive that was made available after the Original Tazer JL is a one piece module... a Tazer JL / bypass module combo in essence..

Anyway, @GR8ESC and @petar7408 ..... You cannot do what you think.

As I mentioned in my 1st post in this thread:
"There is no programming tool that can "program the JL/JT to forget start stop" ... something that you can program one vehicle with and then move to the next vehicle to program that one. "

Sponsored

GR8ESC

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Indeed, it “Non-Menu” Live Function of the Tazer JL so for the Stop/Start feature to work, the Tazer JL hardware needs to be physically in place/installed.

For those reading @unsavory 's post.
It is obvious, to me but may not be obvious to you, that he is using an Original Tazer JL.... A 2 piece affair..

The Original, first programmer for JL to market, the Tazer JL was/is ....a combo affair....

...a Tazer JL module, that plugs into the OBDll port and plus a dedicated security gateway bypass module in use. That accounts for his comment where he said ... "must leave it installed into the OBDII port, along with a security gateway bypass module

The Tazer JL we purchase today from ZAutomotive that was made available after the Original Tazer JL is a one piece module... a Tazer JL / bypass module combo in essence..

Anyway, @GR8ESC and @petar7408 ..... You cannot do what you think.

As I mentioned in my 1st post in this thread:
"There is no programming tool that can "program the JL/JT to forget start stop" ... something that you can program one vehicle with and then move to the next vehicle to program that one. "

Thanks for the clarification.

JLJeepn

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Buy the Z mini tazer....its awesome. I use it for many options and mods that I have done including disabling start/stop. Its all over youtube if you want a rundown and they come available often in the "member market place" on this forum.

About to hit 40K mi 2.5yrs and on OG batteries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
petar7408

petar7408

First Name
Petar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks for that info, what a bummer! When I get my car back from the shop I might just get that Smart start stop device to get rid of this ridiculous feature- Its only 1/3 of the price of a tazer type tool.

Thanks to all! and GR8ESC for the offer! Much appreciated!
Sponsored