Sponsored

Anyone modify their tailgate hinges with Under Cover or the Red Rock?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I mounted a 35” mud grappler on the spare and have the obvious concern about weight bearing on the stock hinges. I found these hinge reinforcements from Under Cover as well as the Red Rock. Anyone used the under cover? They appear to go into the actual hinge (inside the door area). Seems like it may be a better option than the RedRock, as far as the reviews. My gate is already closing different after a few months.

However, the video on extreme terrain talks about the RedRock version achieving/remedying the weight issue and preventing further damage. Thoughts?

161B7564-12C7-4BED-9EDC-E5C2F6EC4554.png

B5333A40-5D0B-4548-AF07-59141917A2A1.png

D86F8C6F-9D8B-46CF-A3DA-857E0BAA6FB9.png

877923F5-A44E-4CEF-B38F-08C702C16397.png
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Not to be critical, but this seems like a bandaid to the problem if you're doing a lot of wheeling.

My opinion: Get a tire carrier. Even a hinge mounted tire carrier is better than pinning your hopes on something like this. I've had the issue on my TJ's where the gate starts to sag after putting e heavier tire/ wheel on it. Personally, based on my own experience, I prefer a bumper/ frame mounted swing out. completely removes the weight on the gate and hinges. I know a lot of people have had good luck with a Hinge mounted one (Motobilt, Evo, ACE, Rusty's, etc). Hope this helps.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Not to be critical, but this seems like a bandaid to the problem if you're doing a lot of wheeling.

My opinion: Get a tire carrier. Even a hinge mounted tire carrier is better than pinning your hopes on something like this. I've had the issue on my TJ's where the gate starts to sag after putting e heavier tire/ wheel on it. Personally, based on my own experience, I prefer a bumper/ frame mounted swing out. completely removes the weight on the gate and hinges. I know a lot of people have had good luck with a Hinge mounted one (Motobilt, Evo, ACE, Rusty's, etc). Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. I thought the undercover idea was interesting though.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I mounted a 35” mud grappler on the spare and have the obvious concern about weight bearing on the stock hinges. I found these hinge reinforcements from Under Cover as well as the Red Rock. Anyone used the under cover? They appear to go into the actual hinge (inside the door area). Seems like it may be a better option than the RedRock, as far as the reviews. My gate is already closing different after a few months.

However, the video on extreme terrain talks about the RedRock version achieving/remedying the weight issue and preventing further damage. Thoughts?

161B7564-12C7-4BED-9EDC-E5C2F6EC4554.png

B5333A40-5D0B-4548-AF07-59141917A2A1.png

D86F8C6F-9D8B-46CF-A3DA-857E0BAA6FB9.png

877923F5-A44E-4CEF-B38F-08C702C16397.png
I can't speak to Red Rock although I believe that is their in-house company and would likely shy away from them myself but I have never heard anything bad about UCF and had planned to use some of the products on my TJ right before I traded it in for my JL. As it is, I have been waiting to see if they come out with some skids for the JL and don't dislike their hinge set and reinforcement plate, which are what you really need to be addressing first if your spare is heavy enough. I have nothing against some of the others that look like good systems (e.g. Rusty's, Genright for two different ideas at some different price points) but this company will be an option to me as well given the quality of their products, especially for their skids if they begin producing them in aluminum. I also like the design of their rocker skids for the JK and hope that they eventually come out with a version for the JL.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I can't speak to Red Rock although I believe that is their in-house company and would likely shy away from them myself but I have never heard anything bad about UCF and had planned to use some of the products on my TJ right before I traded it in for my JL. As it is, I have been waiting to see if they come out with some skids for the JL and don't dislike their hinge set and reinforcement plate, which are what you really need to be addressing first if your spare is heavy enough. I have nothing against some of the others that look like good systems (e.g. Rusty's, Genright for two different ideas at some different price points) but this company will be an option to me as well given the quality of their products, especially for their skids if they begin producing them in aluminum. I also like the design of their rocker skids for the JK and hope that they eventually come out with a version for the JL.
It does seem like the idea of the plate misses the entire point. Since the issue is the load on the little hinges, and they don’t add anything to that section. In fact, it would seem to add even more weight. That’s the confusing part.

Sponsored

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

are you running a frame/bumper mounted carrier? This is the route I want to go, but having a hard time finding one that checks all the boxes. The biggest issue I have is the bumpers seem to become very large to accommodate the carrier.

I really like the Core Series 2 bumper from Expedition One, but I cannot find any real-world reviews on it. There is 1 YT channel that installed it, and it looks great, but the channel is very commercial. And their website states a 10-13 week wait for one. Seems odd that the demand is that high, but can’t get any info outside of their own marketing.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 35” BFG KO2 mounted on the standard carrier with just a RC relocation bracket, I only do light wheeling on the back roads and hit the sandy beaches but have zero issues with my swing gate and I even have a pretty beefy tailgate table mounted, granted the table does add weight but since the gate is closed that’s not an issue, the biggest thing is keeping the spare from bumping around with good bump stops.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
are you running a frame/bumper mounted carrier? This is the route I want to go, but having a hard time finding one that checks all the boxes. The biggest issue I have is the bumpers seem to become very large to accommodate the carrier.

I really like the Core Series 2 bumper from Expedition One, but I cannot find any real-world reviews on it. There is 1 YT channel that installed it, and it looks great, but the channel is very commercial. And their website states a 10-13 week wait for one. Seems odd that the demand is that high, but can’t get any info outside of their own marketing.
I am, or rather, Will be- once I get some time/ it warms up here in NY.
I don't want to hijack OP's thread, so check out my research on the Body Armor 4x4 Bumper/ Carrier Here and here (post #41).

It's true, there isn't much out there. I went back and forth for a while Struggling with a bunch of different brands I liked, the $400 cheapos from Amazon, etc. Ultimately I didn't want to take the chance with an amazon cheapout breaking down over time (I've done a lot of hard wheeling in the past, and I plan on getting back to that), and I couldn't justify the cost of some of the other ones. I saw this in a catalog my buddy gave me months ago and at the time it didn't have a tire carrier, but with a little research- now there is one available. So I went for it. We'll see how it goes once i get it installed. Feel free to post up in one of those other threads, or tag me into any other tire carrier bumper discussions you've got going on here, so we don't further derail OP's hinge thread.

Last edited:

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
It does seem like the idea of the plate misses the entire point. Since the issue is the load on the little hinges, and they don’t add anything to that section. In fact, it would seem to add even more weight. That’s the confusing part.
The issue isn't just on the hinges. The tailgate has the potential to flex as well when enough weight is hanging off the back of it, which is why the plate is also entirely relevant here. That is also why most systems are a one piece that include both for support. In the case of UCF, they have it designed to be multiple pieces and you can choose one, either, or both, depending on how much weight you are adding with your larger tire/wheel combo. It may be more modular but, if the weight is enough, both are needed to fully address the issue.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
The issue isn't just on the hinges. The tailgate has the potential to flex as well when enough weight is hanging off the back of it, which is why the plate is also entirely relevant here. That is also why most systems are a one piece that include both for support. In the case of UCF, they have it designed to be multiple pieces and you can choose one, either, or both, depending on how much weight you are adding with your larger tire/wheel combo. It may be more modular but, if the weight is enough, both are needed to fully address the issue.
I may just consider getting the UCF and the RedRock plate then. Sounds like the two will prevent future damage. The 35x12.50R18 Nitto Mud Grappler (80.64 lbs) and 18x9 Fuel Blitz wheel (33 lbs) spare.

Occasional wheeling, nothing too extreme.

Oem = 73 lbs

41 additional lbs

Last edited:

Sponsored

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

One of the U tube guys that crawls his JK/JL has had no problems with the stock tailgate/tire mount running 37's or maybe even 40's. He claims the tail gate problems are caused by the tire limiting departure angle and coming down on rocks or whatever. He uses a short piece of square tubing ibent with slight angle in the trailer hitch receiver to take the shock and protect the tire/tail gate.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I would like to see a company come up with a reinforcement bracket kind like what smittybilt uses with their tire carrier. It bolts across the the hinge mounting to support the hinges on the taillight housing side. I think something like that, plus the Mopar tire carrier to transfer the weight of the tire to the hinges would be great.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to see a company come up with a reinforcement bracket kind like what smittybilt uses with their tire carrier. It bolts across the the hinge mounting to support the hinges on the taillight housing side. I think something like that, plus the Mopar tire carrier to transfer the weight of the tire to the hinges would be great.
Check the carrier from Rusty's. It includes the bracket as well and no doubt uses more quality materials.
Sponsored