Anyone make their dog a service dog?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Thanks. I've thought about seeing if I can have him certified but the legitimate places require you to have an actual diagnosis. Right now its considered "Other Stress related Disorders" even though my therapist keeps saying PTSD. He keeps me calm when I'm at home and people love him when we do get to take him out.

My wife runs a Facebook page for him: https://www.facebook.com/TheGoldenCharlie/
Damn it, hearing this makes me angry.

Sean, is it the VA who has to “certify” your diagnosis? I’m sorry that you’re suffering and not getting the support that you deserve. It isn’t right.

Great looking dog. Goldens are the best!
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Damn it, hearing this makes me angry.

Sean, is it the VA who has to “certify” your diagnosis? I’m sorry that you’re suffering and not getting the support that you deserve. It isn’t right.

Great looking dog. Goldens are the best!
I'm not quite sure who gets to "Certify" a diagnosis as I've seen multiple psychologists and at least one of them as said my symptoms support a diagnosis but she wasn't my provider. The paperwork is confusing, but I'm trudging through it. Otherwise the healthcare I'm getting through them is good.

I'm glad we found Charlie when we did, He's the best buddy you could ask for. A great pet at the very least, and we all consider him a member of the family. People are really disappointed if we don't bring him along.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'm not quite sure who gets to "Certify" a diagnosis as I've seen multiple psychologists and at least one of them as said my symptoms support a diagnosis but she wasn't my provider. The paperwork is confusing, but I'm trudging through it. Otherwise the healthcare I'm getting through them is good.

I'm glad we found Charlie when we did, He's the best buddy you could ask for. A great pet at the very least, and we all consider him a member of the family. People are really disappointed if we don't bring him along.
OK, I’m relieved to know you’re at least getting good quality care.

You have to own or know a Golden to understand how special they are. Our boy can be dopey and won’t hesitate to steal your dinner, but he’s the most affectionate dog I’ve ever known. 100% part of the family. I’m happy that you found Charlie.

upload_2019-5-29_16-13-55.jpeg

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Some of us suffer from depression but don't have an actual diagnosis to support a service animal. They still fill our needs, and support us and Keep us in reality. Charlie is a natural therapy dog despite not having been raised as one. I don't know where I would be without him. I've been shot at, Had my HMMWV blown up from under me by an IED, shot at again, watched one of my officers barely survive a Suicide Vehicle IED blast and having to take over the patrol after I had him Medevaced, then had his combat replacement lead us right into an ambush against my advise two months later. In between all of that recieving news about an officer I used to work for getting killed when his helicopter was shot down and also one of my friends from high school Killed by an IED shortly after that.

Then the VA keeps telling me my mental issues aren't PTSD. Seriously how much more does it take before they admit it?

You don't get to make the call about wether or not someone needs a therapy dog or emotional support animal ect @Mjmi69 and you should really sit down and think about your comments on suicide. IT IS NOT A JOKE!

Now excuse me I need to go punch something.

58008163981__D583AB32-9B0F-4F82-B225-17163D53A3AE.JPG
Just so we are clear, I help each year with Hometown Hero’s , those are vets with PTSD and other issues, raising tens of thousands of dollars, helping with Purple Heart Homes, who only job is to get veterans homes at no cost and getting service animals to our vets.
If you are having problems getting a doctor to help you there are organizations out there to help, those comment were never for any Veterans, Its the morons that take Fido onto airplanes and store, restaurants and other places because they are too cheap too pay to have the dog put into climate controlled cargo areas that screw it up for people like you.
Its the same with handicap tags, there have been sting operations that have found that up to 85% of the people using them are not even the owners of the tag. If you served our country I do thank you, If your not getting the help you deserve, I apologize to you for our useless leaders.

And not 5 minutes after typing this to you, my point is made again on yahoo: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man-sues-delta-air-lines-dog-mauls-him-on-flight-204221489.html

Last edited:

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know the process or how to get your dog to be a service dog?

When I search Google, I get sites like

https://usdogregistry.org/?gclid=Cj...0oJn16M6B8dkl6oFWD2ychZMT8cYv5tRoCGtcQAvD_BwE

Idk why it's so long I copied pasted it from my browser anyways it looks like you just give your info and pay the fee and that's it?

Is it that simple?
In fact, those services are scams. But pets are in fact good therapy for any human, despite being "service" related or not.

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
My grandmother had a guide dog back in the 60’s. It’s wasnt very common to see them back then. My first dog as a child was a guide dog reject. She went almost to the end of training as was a wonderful animal. I would love to have one again.

I have the utmost respect for actual service animals. They are incredible animals who perform an actual service. They are loyal and selfless animals. I also get to work very closely with k9’s on a daily basis. Amazing experience. It is very rewarding.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just so we are clear, I help each year with Hometown Hero’s , those are vets with PTSD and other issues, raising tens of thousands of dollars, helping with Purple Heart Homes, who only job is to get veterans homes at no cost and getting service animals to our vets.
If you are having problems getting a doctor to help you there are organizations out there to help, those comment were never for any Veterans, Its the morons that take Fido onto airplanes and store, restaurants and other places because they are too cheap too pay to have the dog put into climate controlled cargo areas that screw it up for people like you.
Its the same with handicap tags, there have been sting operations that have found that up to 85% of the people using them are not even the owners of the tag. If you served our country I do thank you, If your not getting the help you deserve, I apologize to you for our useless leaders.

And not 5 minutes after typing this to you, my point is made again on yahoo: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man-sues-delta-air-lines-dog-mauls-him-on-flight-204221489.html
Real service animals vs ones with a fake certificate, you and I are in agreement. Using suicide as a joke, is in very poor taste though, and that is what set me off.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I’m relieved to know you’re at least getting good quality care.

You have to own or know a Golden to understand how special they are. Our boy can be dopey and won’t hesitate to steal your dinner, but he’s the most affectionate dog I’ve ever known. 100% part of the family. I’m happy that you found Charlie.

upload_2019-5-29_16-13-55.jpeg
I really wasn't much of a dog person until we got him. I only had cats before so I wasn't prepared for the type of attention a dog gives you, especially a golden. lol

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Well I think the message has been pretty well conveyed but, it's not something you can "just do". I've trained many dogs (including working dogs), but for a dog to be a legit service dog takes A LOT of time/effort and a special dog.

I'm not bashing anyone for wanting to do it. I understand the appeal. You want to take your well behaved dog with you, and some places only allow service animals. But there's a reason those places don't allow pets, and a trained/disciplined dog is not the same as a service dog.
If you want to go out with your dog, there are a lot of places that welcome them, even if they're not a service dog. All they ask is that they're leashed, and well behaved. Such locations include Lowe's/Home Depot, Gander Mountain, TSC, nearly every pet store you can find, Barns and Noble, Michaels, Bath & Body Works, etc. Heck there are even places that you wouldn't expect like Tiffany & Co., Abercrobie & Fitch, Macy's, .Pottery Barn, and the Apple Store. The list is quite long. I got that list from BarkPost, but that's not all they listed. Plus there are a lot of local (non-chain) stores that are pet friendly who aren't listed. You can take doggo and puppers a lot of places without registering them as service animals, and subsequently discrediting the real thing. Just do a search for "pet friendly", or "dog friendly" stores near you. Have fun, and make sure you tether your pup while you travel (especially with the top off).
I did not know this! Baby Kya is definitely coming with me more!

upload_2019-5-30_8-4-21.jpeg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well I think the message has been pretty well conveyed but, it's not something you can "just do". I've trained many dogs (including working dogs), but for a dog to be a legit service dog takes A LOT of time/effort and a special dog.

I'm not bashing anyone for wanting to do it. I understand the appeal. You want to take your well behaved dog with you, and some places only allow service animals. But there's a reason those places don't allow pets, and a trained/disciplined dog is not the same as a service dog.
If you want to go out with your dog, there are a lot of places that welcome them, even if they're not a service dog. All they ask is that they're leashed, and well behaved. Such locations include Lowe's/Home Depot, Gander Mountain, TSC, nearly every pet store you can find, Barns and Noble, Michaels, Bath & Body Works, etc. Heck there are even places that you wouldn't expect like Tiffany & Co., Abercrobie & Fitch, Macy's, .Pottery Barn, and the Apple Store. The list is quite long. I got that list from BarkPost, but that's not all they listed. Plus there are a lot of local (non-chain) stores that are pet friendly who aren't listed. You can take doggo and puppers a lot of places without registering them as service animals, and subsequently discrediting the real thing. Just do a search for "pet friendly", or "dog friendly" stores near you. Have fun, and make sure you tether your pup while you travel (especially with the top off).
I quite frequently take Charlie out to the movie theater to see less crowded movies. He's pretty good and naps through most of em, even action movies. Most restaurants with outdoor seating love seeing him too.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
"Mundy, a military service member with the U.S. Marine Corps, said “the dog was issued to him for support,” according to a police report obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution."

I'm going to be the first one to raise the BS flag on his comment. There is no way no how the Marine Corps will "Issue" a dog to a Marine. You can be assigned as a Dog Handler, but they're not emotional support animals. They're trained as Police Dogs in most cases, or more specifically as bomb detection dogs for certain missions. A dog handler might have the option of adopting a retiring MWD but they are by no means adapted to the civilian world. I've done bite glove training, and even through the glove those chompers really get a good grip on you. Yikes.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
....and you should really sit down and think about your comments on suicide. IT IS NOT A JOKE!
Real service animals vs ones with a fake certificate, you and I are in agreement. Using suicide as a joke, is in very poor taste though, and that is what set me off.
Yes, I cringed at that too. I know the comment wasn't meant literally, but people make them too casually. Commonly they're made by people who haven't had anyone they know do it (or considered it themselves), so I understand their failure to perceive the gravity of it. Still in poor taste as you mentioned, but you both handled it well.
And just because I'm big on data/numbers: 22 veterans a day, and LEO's are twice as likely to die at their own hand than in the line of duty. Hyper-vigilance, PTSD, and alienation from your community can reek havoc on a person's mind.

I did not know this! Baby Kya is definitely coming with me more!
Ha ha, glad to help. We take our dogs to stores all the time. They take turns because it's a bit crowded to put 3 dogs into the back of a Wrangler or Renegade, especially when one of them is a Rottweiler. Which I'm sure you understand because your dog is a giant breed too.

I quite frequently take Charlie out to the movie theater to see less crowded movies. He's pretty good and naps through most of em, even action movies. Most restaurants with outdoor seating love seeing him too.
I've found that most stores are pet friendly, even if they don't publicly post it. I figure the worst case scenario is that I take my dog somewhere, and they say dogs aren't allowed. No big deal, we can leave. It's not like you'll get in trouble. The only way you'd get in trouble is if it's posted that they aren't allowed, then they could technically charge with trespassing, but I don't think I've ever seen a sign on the front of a store that said no dogs allowed. So you walk in with him/her and leave if they tell you to. It's weird a first taking your dog into stores but after a while you realize most people just want to come pet them.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I cringed at that too. I know the comment wasn't meant literally, but people make them too casually. Commonly they're made by people who haven't had anyone they know do it (or considered it themselves), so I understand their failure to perceive the gravity of it. Still in poor taste as you mentioned, but you both handled it well.
And just because I'm big on data/numbers: 22 veterans a day, and LEO's are twice as likely to die at their own hand than in the line of duty. Hyper-vigilance, PTSD, and alienation from your community can reek havoc on a person's mind.
Yes, my Aunt did while I was at boot camp. Getting rushed through training and then taken straight to the Chaplain, you know you're getting bad news. Another Marine I had met did shortly after he returned from deployment. I've known others that have made attempts and those are just as heartbreaking, even though we still have them with us.

I've found that most stores are pet friendly, even if they don't publicly post it. I figure the worst case scenario is that I take my dog somewhere, and they say dogs aren't allowed. No big deal, we can leave. It's not like you'll get in trouble. The only way you'd get in trouble is if it's posted that they aren't allowed, then they could technically charge with trespassing, but I don't think I've ever seen a sign on the front of a store that said no dogs allowed. So you walk in with him/her and leave if they tell you to. It's weird a first taking your dog into stores but after a while you realize most people just want to come pet them.
There have been a few times where I've seen people visibly saddened when they didn't have outdoor seating for us because they wanted to pet Charlie.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Speaking of people petting your dog at a store.
We have vests for ours, but they're not service vests. They're simply vests intended to tell the public about their personality. Our Blue Heeler mix has a vest that says "Reactive" because she is quick to react to things. If someone pets her she quickly buddies up to them, but if a person's dog barks at her she'll quickly bark back. Likewise if the person's dog is mellow, she reacts the with the same mellow demeanor. I've never seen a dog with such a personality but she pretty much takes on the traits of the people/animals we encounter.
Our Rottie has a vest that says "Do not pet". It isn't that he's aggressive, or that he's working, because he's not. His vest is to protect people and make him comfortable. He's social, but nervous about a fast approach. With his vest on people won't rush him. They'll usually talk to us first and we tell them it's okay as long as they rush at him. He wants to give them a sniff before he lets them pet him. He's never been aggressive, and retreated from a rush he's uncomfortable with. We learned this when he was young and kids yelled "doggy" while running to him. As typical, he would let them pet him, but he appeared uncomfortable with it. After getting the vest, and having people approach slowly he's clearly more comfortable with being pet by people.
And our third dog, is an AmStaf (aka pit bull). His vest says "Pet me". He absolutely LOVES people. If we're out and a person walks by without petting him, he'll watch them walk by with "puppy dog eyes" as if he's wondering why they didn't stop. Being the opposite of my Rot, he runs to people who show any sign of wanting to pet him. I know a lot of people are afraid of Pits so instead of having people approach he slowly, he has approach them slowly. If they rush toward him though, it's all good, he can love on them all he wants.

I don't really have any good shots of their vests, but here's one with all 3 wearing them. I made their leads from paracord, with a secondary strap that attached to the back of the vest (hard to see in the photo). Also, no, they're not wearing muzzles. They're wearing head Gentle Leaders (a head collar similar to design used on horses). They can open their mouths but you guide by their nose/head instead of a typical collar around their necks.
20180510_201347.jpg

Here's the pit as a puppy with his smaller "pet me" vest.
Pet me vest.jpg

And the Rottie with his old spike collar. They've all got custom camo collars now with their name and our phone number on it (seen in the first photo).
vest.JPG

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...There have been a few times where I've seen people visibly saddened when they didn't have outdoor seating for us because they wanted to pet Charlie.
Ha ha. I can definitely see that reaction.
Sponsored