Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
This might answer some questions for you..
I'm no expert but I've seen "service dogs" that are obviously just pets presented as "service animals" so the owners can travel with them for whatever reason. I've seen them freak out, and crap in terminal areas. Obviously not trained..
It's a disservice to those that legitimately require real service animals.
https://www.certapet.com/fake-service-dog-registration/

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Count me in on the pile on. If not a legitimate need, it’s bullshit. True service dogs are trained from puppies to fill specific needs.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Count me in on the pile on. If not a legitimate need, it’s bullshit. True service dogs are trained from puppies to fill specific needs.
100% this. I have relatives who foster trainees (puppies) on weekends. Mon-Fri these dogs train for various specialties. They don’t all make it, as not every dog is cut out for work. (Wait list for a “reject” is miles long... they make awesome, well trained and obedient pets.)

My point is that training a real service dog is EXPENSIVE and time consuming. It’s done by professionals who start when the dogs are puppies. Any place that claims they can train your pet to be a service dog is BS.

Here is a real non-profit training center for service dogs: https://www.ecad1.org/

Here’s a story about my uncle-in-law and his service dog, Tuesday: https://www.courant.com/community/99770572-132.html

Tuesday is semi-famous: https://www.amazon.com/Until-Tuesday-Wounded-Warrior-Retriever/dp/1455853577

Here’s the non-profit training facility for which my relatives do work: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...-celebrate-with-new-service-dogs-12867634.php

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
They are finally stopping the morons who prints a certificate off the internet and then try to take Fido on a plane, restaurants, stores and hotels. The only people who are truly in need of a real service animal are now getting into the crossfire of these fake jackasses. Next they should put these other mental midgets in jail, they will get all of the emotional support from Buba in jail. If you can’t go somewhere without your Dog, Cat, Peacock or Giraffe then you should put a gun to your head and end it all.

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Glad to see some of you agree with me. I do not dislike animals but do not consider myself and animal "lover". True service dogs or animals are welcome anywhere. The fake ones piss me off. Well said MjMi69. Leave you animals home......

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Well I think the message has been pretty well conveyed but, it's not something you can "just do". I've trained many dogs (including working dogs), but for a dog to be a legit service dog takes A LOT of time/effort and a special dog.

I'm not bashing anyone for wanting to do it. I understand the appeal. You want to take your well behaved dog with you, and some places only allow service animals. But there's a reason those places don't allow pets, and a trained/disciplined dog is not the same as a service dog.
If you want to go out with your dog, there are a lot of places that welcome them, even if they're not a service dog. All they ask is that they're leashed, and well behaved. Such locations include Lowe's/Home Depot, Gander Mountain, TSC, nearly every pet store you can find, Barns and Noble, Michaels, Bath & Body Works, etc. Heck there are even places that you wouldn't expect like Tiffany & Co., Abercrobie & Fitch, Macy's, .Pottery Barn, and the Apple Store. The list is quite long. I got that list from BarkPost, but that's not all they listed. Plus there are a lot of local (non-chain) stores that are pet friendly who aren't listed. You can take doggo and puppers a lot of places without registering them as service animals, and subsequently discrediting the real thing. Just do a search for "pet friendly", or "dog friendly" stores near you. Have fun, and make sure you tether your pup while you travel (especially with the top off).

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
This might answer some questions for you..
I'm no expert but I've seen "service dogs" that are obviously just pets presented as "service animals" so the owners can travel with them for whatever reason. I've seen them freak out, and crap in terminal areas. Obviously not trained..
It's a disservice to those that legitimately require real service animals.
https://www.certapet.com/fake-service-dog-registration/
This. I travel a bunch and it is getting disgusting the amount of pets that folks figure out how to put a vest on. All these “therapy” animals as well. Sorry but if you are so messed up you need a “therapy” snake, yes no joke, then just stay at home and get your issues figured out.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
They are finally stopping the morons who prints a certificate off the internet and then try to take Fido on a plane, restaurants, stores and hotels. The only people who are truly in need of a real service animal are now getting into the crossfire of these fake jackasses. Next they should put these other mental midgets in jail, they will get all of the emotional support from Buba in jail. If you can’t go somewhere without your Dog, Cat, Peacock or Giraffe then you should put a gun to your head and end it all.
Some of us suffer from depression but don't have an actual diagnosis to support a service animal. They still fill our needs, and support us and Keep us in reality. Charlie is a natural therapy dog despite not having been raised as one. I don't know where I would be without him. I've been shot at, Had my HMMWV blown up from under me by an IED, shot at again, watched one of my officers barely survive a Suicide Vehicle IED blast and having to take over the patrol after I had him Medevaced, then had his combat replacement lead us right into an ambush against my advise two months later. In between all of that recieving news about an officer I used to work for getting killed when his helicopter was shot down and also one of my friends from high school Killed by an IED shortly after that.

Then the VA keeps telling me my mental issues aren't PTSD. Seriously how much more does it take before they admit it?

You don't get to make the call about wether or not someone needs a therapy dog or emotional support animal ect @Mjmi69 and you should really sit down and think about your comments on suicide. IT IS NOT A JOKE!

Now excuse me I need to go punch something.

58008163981__D583AB32-9B0F-4F82-B225-17163D53A3AE.JPG

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Some of us suffer from depression but don't have an actual diagnosis to support a service animal. They still fill our needs, and support us and Keep us in reality. Charlie is a natural therapy dog despite not having been raised as one. I don't know where I would be without him. I've been shot at, Had my HMMWV blown up from under me by an IED, shot at again, watched one of my officers barely survive a Suicide Vehicle IED blast and having to take over the patrol after I had him Medevaced, then had his combat replacement lead us right into an ambush against my advise two months later. In between all of that recieving news about an officer I used to work for getting killed when his helicopter was shot down and also one of my friends from high school Killed by an IED shortly after that.

Then the VA keeps telling me my mental issues aren't PTSD. Seriously how much more does it take before they admit it?

You don't get to make the call about wether or not someone needs a therapy dog or emotional support animal ect @Mjmi69 and you should really sit down and think about your comments on suicide. IT IS NOT A JOKE!

Now excuse me I need to go punch something.

58008163981__d583ab32-9b0f-4f82-b225-17163d53a3ae-jpg.jpg
Utmost respect to you @Sean L . Through our company we support the Heroes First Foundation and their Paws 4 Vets program. I've met with a number of vets and their animals, heard their stories, and really appreciate what the support of a service animal can do to help. I know Paws 4 Vets even has a program to get a persons animal certified through their program (don't really know the details).

Every time I think I'm having a rough day, all I need to do is think about those with stories like yours to help get a proper perspective.

Beautiful dog by the way! And (as cliche' as it sounds) thank you for your service!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Utmost respect to you @Sean L . Through our company we support the Heroes First Foundation and their Paws 4 Vets program. I've met with a number of vets and their animals, heard their stories, and really appreciate what the support of a service animal can do to help. I know Paws 4 Vets even has a program to get a persons animal certified through their program (don't really know the details).

Every time I think I'm having a rough day, all I need to do is think about those with stories like yours to help get a proper perspective.

Beautiful dog by the way! And (as cliche' as it sounds) thank you for your service!
Thanks. I've thought about seeing if I can have him certified but the legitimate places require you to have an actual diagnosis. Right now its considered "Other Stress related Disorders" even though my therapist keeps saying PTSD. He keeps me calm when I'm at home and people love him when we do get to take him out.

My wife runs a Facebook page for him: https://www.facebook.com/TheGoldenCharlie/
Sponsored