Sponsored

Anyone leave their soft top on for cold seasons?

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Ran a soft top all last winter, no problems. Heats up fine, the snow seems to slide off. I give the kids a kick by opening the top on cold snowy days! I'll pick up a hard top in the future, when the JL prices come down a bit.
Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I had a TJ with softtop only for like 8 years. Never had an issue. 2 things I would recommend though:

1. Buy a second set of windows all 3. use one set for summer & 1 for winter. 1 set will get pretty scratched up and yellow an look really nasty. I forgot which set that is though.
  2. if you are parking in a suspect area just leave your doors unlocked, this will usually prevent thievs from cutting your top to get in. The softops provide 0 security anyway so you may as well leave the doors unlocked.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I had a TJ with softtop only for like 8 years. Never had an issue. 2 things I would recommend though:

1. Buy a second set of windows all 3. use one set for summer & 1 for winter. 1 set will get pretty scratched up and yellow an look really nasty. I forgot which set that is though.
  2. if you are parking in a suspect area just leave your doors unlocked, this will usually prevent thievs from cutting your top to get in. The softops provide 0 security anyway so you may as well leave the doors unlocked.
2nd set of windows is a great idea !Funny comment about the yellowing !

EnjoyLife

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado
Only purchased with the premium soft top. I don't expect any issues in the winter in St. Louis, MO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I survived the polar vortex in Chicago last winter with only a soft-top on, honestly the heater in the JL is so good that up until that point during the winter i very rarely even put the heater on full blast, those few days were the exception and that was only until it warmed up inside and then i put it back down to normal. The top is pretty easy to clean snow off of, just be careful of the windows, they scratch pretty easily.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Just be careful of handling the windows when the temps get sub zero. The plastic glass can become brittle. I live in PA and we usually get a few days of temps like that every winter, so just set your heater on high and run that sucker for a bit if you need to move the back window or anything.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
When I used a soft top in the winter, I had issues trying to zip side, rear panels on because the soft top material shrinks with the cold. How is accessing the rear, especially on a 2 door, with the new "slide out" panels in cold weather ? I went to a hard top for this reason, the soft top fabric shrank too much to use the rear cargo area easily..
The new soft top design helps with full back access. You can quickly pop off the bottom rail and then the side clips come out easy. You the flip the window on the top (leaving the top clip attached). Then quickly re-attach when done accessing the back. Of course this is not as easy as the hard top full back access but if you only need to do to it occasionally it works fine. You could not do this on the JK soft top with old zipper design.

Senator71

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I also have bought the Wrangler with only a premium soft top. I had my last JK with the premium soft top only for 4 years in NYC with no issues. I actually plan to keep this car a parking garage, but the last one was outside in all seasons and no issues. Like everyone else says, don't scrape ice or snow off the soft windows, but frankly the windows don't get too much snow accumulation as they practically vertical and the heater has the ice melted much quicker than on a glass window. I now have the cold weather package with heated seats and steering wheel. Lots of luxuries I never had in my JK but still survived. Like others have said here, the open air aspect is a big part of my love of the Wrangler. Often if it's not raining I'll have the sunrider top open year round. Just keep the heated seats and heater blasting and I love it.

Enjoy

Last edited:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I had a Boxster S, an '02 225 TT Roadster and a '16 Ecoboost Mustang, all soft tops and all making it through the winter with snow on top of the soft tops

If those little cars were fine, Jeep should be fine

Midwestguy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Completely depends on your location. I wouldnt even think about using a soft top in the winter here in Minnesota. Some snowfalls are so heavy it would buckle the roof. Also, the temp swings are so wild...so water melting on the roof fabric during the day- then freezing over at night = cant be healthy for your canopy

Sponsored

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
premium soft top in northern va. mine is garage kept. only thing that is kind of a pain is if you have to put something larger in the back where u have to open the window. getting the 2 slats latched so to speak on the back window is a pain in the rear, so i just turn my torpedo heater on let it get warm and latch them lol. but as others have said a couple minutes of warm up and its warm and toasty inside.

EJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport Altitude
I had a previous Jeep with just the soft top (NYC) which was ok but my new one I got the hard top and glad I did for the winter, it is better in the cold for several reasons.

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Gone through a YJ and two TJ's before finally on to my JL jeep wise. All of which ran/run soft tops all year round up here in Canada. So I'd say it's a go!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I picked up my Jeep in December (Pennsylvania). Although I keep mine in the garage, I don't see any issues. The heater is great. The cold weather group helps (like any other car/truck). I don't mess with the vinyl windows at all in the winter. There is a backup camera to help when backing up. I am sure the soft top has been tested for some snow weight, although I have no idea how much (I know 6-8" wasn't an issue). As others have said, the trunk can be more involved if you need to lift the back window, but that doesn't happen often, and it isn't difficult.

With a two door you can only get a soft or hard top, no dual top option. I didn't want a seasonal project of swapping between two tops anyway. I like being able to drop the top whenever I want, and always having it with me if the weather turns whether I am at work, a store, road trip, visiting family, or at the beach.

Only reason I would consider a hard top is for the perceived increased protection for items left inside the Jeep.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I had a previous Jeep with just the soft top (NYC) which was ok but my new one I got the hard top and glad I did for the winter, it is better in the cold for several reasons.
Don't leave the OP guessing, what reasons? Try to give your experience and feedback to help him and others make an informed decision.
Sponsored