Sponsored

Anyone know where I can get new mounting hardware for the badland apex fairlead?

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
As some people have experienced, when I tried to bolt the fairlead onto my bumper the bolt/nut bound and I had to completely cut the bolt in half to get it off.

Now I need new mounting hardware for the fairlead. Near as I can tell the bolts are stainless M12x1.75 40mm socket head, and there is a washer and locking washer plus the nut. I cannot find anything even remotely close to matching this locally.

Not necessarily looking for the exact same mounting hardware as stock so if anyone has a better suggestion for specific bolt+nut+washer combos to use with the badland apex fairlead I'm all game, preferably something I can get locally somewhere.
Sponsored

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you do go back to stainless, Always use anti-seize compound on the threads. Always!! I learned my lesson. They seem to weld themselves together. I have also used stainless bolt with zinc coated steel nuts with no issues. Stainless to stainless always needs anti-seize.

OP
OP
crackofdawn

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
If you do go back to stainless, Always use anti-seize compound on the threads. Always!! I learned my lesson. They seem to weld themselves together. I have also used stainless bolt with zinc coated steel nuts with no issues. Stainless to stainless always needs anti-seize.
Oh absolutely, I bought some permatex thread anti seize that I will use on my second attempt. I wish the damn instructions that came with the winch would have said that, wouldn't be in this mess in the first place lol

If I can't find stainless bolt+nut combos locally I might end up attempting a zinc bolt/washer/nut combo if it doesn't look too mismatched to the fairlead.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You could still get away with a stainless hex that shows on the fairlead and do a grade 8 nyloc nut on the backside. Best of both worlds. No binding (I'd still put a touch of anti-seize) and you have the corrosion resistant hardware facing the public.

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
Since you are not threading into the fairlead itself, you just need to find a matching nut and bolt of appropriate thickness. I think a 1/2" grade 8 bolt works.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
You just need matching M12 hardware, wouldn't worry about thread pitch. ACE hardware should have them. If not as Tom above said, Fastenal will have them. If you want to order something McMaster will as well, but you'll have to buy large quantities of each fastener so $$$.
Sponsored