Sponsored

Anyone know what the small plastic half-sphere bubble on the top left center of the dashboard is for

Quetzal

First Name
ERIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Teacher
Anyone with a 2019 Wrangler Rubicon know what the small plastic half-sphere bubble on the top left center of the dashboard is for? Can't find anything about it anywhere and it obviously has a purpose or it wouldn't just be on one side.
Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
i vaguely remember someone asking this exact question just days ago and it was answered, but can't remember specifically- sensor for auto lights I believe.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Anyone with a 2019 Wrangler Rubicon know what the small plastic half-sphere bubble on the top left center of the dashboard is for? Can't find anything about it anywhere and it obviously has a purpose or it wouldn't just be on one side.
I don’t have a Rubicon but I do know what that’s for. @blessidsoul12 is correct. It’s the sensor for the lights.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
It’s the thing that never works when you need it.
Pops into a shade or tunnel for 2 seconds, turns on your headlamps and dim your displays. Pop back out and drive for the rest of the day in piercing sun, never turns off your headlamps nor brightens up your display. Useless piece of junk.

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
It could be the sun load sensor for the A/C. I do know when they go bad the A/C system doesn't work as well on a hot sunny day.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely the light sensor for when the headlight knob is in the auto setting.

The HVAC system uses the outside temp sensor in the grille when in auto mode.

Bill 13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR
Pops into a shade or tunnel for 2 seconds, turns on your headlamps and dim your displays. Pop back out and drive for the rest of the day in piercing sun, never turns off your headlamps nor brightens up your display. Useless piece of junk.
That's so strange, I was just saying to someone on the weekend that I thought this function used to work that way but on mine it always shuts the lights right back off. It's especially strange when I'm going through some dark clouds and then back to sun. Might be a faulty sensor you've got.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That's so strange, I was just saying to someone on the weekend that I thought this function used to work that way but on mine it always shuts the lights right back off. It's especially strange when I'm going through some dark clouds and then back to sun. Might be a faulty sensor you've got.
I suspect so too, that’s why when I brought it to the dealer to take a look twice, twice they told me it’s working as designed and blamed me for my aftermarket headlights.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
With the windshield down I've adapted it into a tiny gun turret for "attitude adjusting" squirrels foolish enough to challenge my JL's turf and come on the hood.;)

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
With the windshield down I've adapted it into a tiny gun turret for "attitude adjusting" squirrels foolish enough to challenge my JL's turf and come on the hood.;)
What kind of squirrels do you have in Boston that would sexually violate your hood?

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
What kind of squirrels do you have in Boston that would sexually violate your hood?
I don't get squirrels--just a funny I think you gather. If I did, I'd be more concerned with them claiming rights to the hood by dropping a dookie, @Dookey.;)

Now, my roof rack pipe....birds love it and crap their territory on it in Spring.:mad:

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
My auto-headlights work perfectly. When entering and exiting a tunnel, they turn on and off in a very reasonable amount of time. How nice of you to bash something as a "useless piece of junk" when yours is clearly malfunctioning.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My auto-headlights work perfectly. When entering and exiting a tunnel, they turn on and off in a very reasonable amount of time. How nice of you to bash something as a "useless piece of junk" when yours is clearly malfunctioning.
Heh according to my dealer it’s “working as designed.”
If it’s malfunctioning as I suspected, I definitely couldn’t get them to fix it.

So yes, a piece of junk.

Last edited:

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away
The reason is secret

2221.jpg