Sponsored

Anyone know what speed is ideal for best fuel economy?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I’ve been told most vehicles have a set range that will yield the best fuel economy, such as 50-55 mph

I have 37s on stock 4.10s and get into 8th gear around 65-70.
Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Drag is a function of the square of your velocity. So... the slower, the better.

Dailydrivenwrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Wrangler JLUR
I can tell you that I did a lot of testing and for my setup I need to be in the 55-59mph range. Slower than that doesn’t really improve it much and just causes a hazard on the hwy. Once above 59mph my economy slowly starts decreasing. I’ve also noticed that if I have a head wind that makes me drop to 7th gear that I’ll get better economy in 7th than if I force it to stay in 8th.

Sponsored

ItsUhJEEP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
This is not really a problem for true Jeep owners.

PSA- Don't buy a Jeep Wrangler if you are concerned about gas mileage.

However, I've advised my kids from NOT doing the "hand airplane" out of the topless Jeep while in motion because we're trying to hit that 17mpg HWY

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
With a JL, MPG is very situational.

Wind direction and vehicle speed play the biggest role. 55 MPH or below will generally get excellent MPG. Above 55 MPH, MPG tends to drop exponentially. I've actually gotten my best MPG doing 35-40 MPH on a dirt road.

You can get an extra 2-6 MPG by turning on ACC and following a truck or trailer, using their wake to reduce your wind resistance. This is especially useful when the speed limit is 80 MPH. When you're alone and cutting the air yourself MPG will drop quite noticeably.

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta
Stock wheels and tires on a 22 Willys Sport (bfg ko2’s). I set cruise to 60 and hang out in the slow lane, more for noise than mpg. 1200 miles so far, all highway since it’s a weekend trip car, 25mpg. I didn’t care about mpg when I got it since it’s not a daily, but I’m surprised how well it does for its weight and shape. Notice any change in elevation and it has to downshift 1-2 gears.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
I can tell you that I did a lot of testing and for my setup I need to be in the 55-59mph range. Slower than that doesn’t really improve it much and just causes a hazard on the hwy. Once above 59mph my economy slowly starts decreasing. I’ve also noticed that if I have a head wind that makes me drop to 7th gear that I’ll get better economy in 7th than if I force it to stay in 8th.
You'll have that. Same concept as re-gearing and getting the engine back into its ideal RPM range. But some people seem to be content with losing their overdrive gears instead of doing that.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
With the turbo...head to higher elevation....I was getting 26 mpg on interstate 70mph in Wyoming and Utah this summer. Winter fuel makes it harder to get better mpg as well.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been told most vehicles have a set range that will yield the best fuel economy, such as 50-55 mph

I have 37s on stock 4.10s and get into 8th gear around 65-70.
lol the replies upin this thread regarding this topic! Get ready for some hilarious ones lol.

For me...I get about 16.4—17.5 mpg from 75mph-80mph (when I set my cruise). I live in a flat city, so there's not much elevation other than riding on overpasses.

I used to get mid 18mpg on my first engine, once it got broken in (after like 1,000 miles). With this new one, it's taking a bit of time to get situated. Whenever I have the chance to use my cruise, i do it. I've noticed quite a bit of difference when I don't use the cruise (with less mpg). But I used to do the comparison when I first got the Jeep and then again after I got my lift; now, not so much.

Stock (prior to lift, aftermarket tires, etc.), I'd get 18.8-22mpg in the city and I saw 26mpg once via highway driving.
Sponsored