Sponsored

Anyone know of any 2.0L teardown videos?

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I have been trying to find a youtube video of someone tearing down a 2.0L, ideally with some commentary on good/bad design aspects. These engines have been around for several years now and yet I am really struggling to find really any videos of someone taking apart a blown up 2.0L. Are these things just that reliable or what?
Sponsored

OP
OP

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
Thanks for the laugh. The first time the engine in my 4xe started up I immediately knew what folks were talking about when they said it sounded like a sewing machine and definitely chuckled to myself at how absurd it sounds.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Thanks for the laugh. The first time the engine in my 4xe started up I immediately knew what folks were talking about when they said it sounded like a sewing machine and definitely chuckled to myself at how absurd it sounds.
Lol no worries.

Hope you find the real video. The 2.0 has been so far a great engine. Very good performer and most people I know who have it love it.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0

jonyothan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 2dr 2.0T, '10 BMW 335i
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Technician
Vehicle Showcase
FYI that alfa engine is not even the same as the jeep 2.0. the alfa engine is closed deck, vs the jeep open deck, and they dont even have the same amount of camshafts

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
FYI that alfa engine is not even the same as the jeep 2.0. the alfa engine is closed deck, vs the jeep open deck, and they dont even have the same amount of camshafts
The photos on the alfa forum show its an open deck like ours. The cam situation, on the alfa 2.0s they have solenoids in place of a the exhaust cam. Our jeeps are DOHC.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The photos on the alfa forum show its an open deck like ours. The cam situation, on the alfa 2.0s they have solenoids in place of a the exhaust cam. Our jeeps are DOHC.
Correct. The block is the same, just a different design for the head and thank goodness it's not multi air. Those things are a pain when they have sat for a long time. You got to crank on them for like 2-3 minutes for the oil pressure to build up and then it'll fire up. Obviously, the starter doesn't like that.

As for the rest of the engine, looks pretty simple. Just the usual, lots of scraping of the sealing surfaces ass they use sealant as opposed to gaskets (I'm used to that as an old school aircooled 911 mechanic). So, better have a good scraper and time on your hands.

OP
OP

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
If I understand that Alfa forum post correctly, it seems the piston ring failure is believed to have been due to the incorrect oil being used?

I haven't really seen any other 2.0L engines with catastrophic failures, but I'm sure there must be a few out there. Any common point of failure that you guys know of?

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If I understand that Alfa forum post correctly, it seems the piston ring failure is believed to have been due to the incorrect oil being used?

I haven't really seen any other 2.0L engines with catastrophic failures, but I'm sure there must be a few out there. Any common point of failure that you guys know of?
Let's use some logic. That engine has been out for a while. Lots of miles, lots of owners. If it was just using the incorrect oil, then we'd be seeing lots of posts of people ranting that their engines blew up. Not just there but here. This is a mass produced engine for the general public. Thus, there are a few things to take into account.

1. The manufacturer cannot expect that all owners will use the correct oil. It will never happen.

2. If the engine is that critical that it needs an exact spec oil to keep from grenading itself, then there will be a huge class action lawsuit. Plus I'd never want an engine like that because the manufacturer didn't do a good job designing it.

3. Only point of failure I see is #1 piston with broken ring glands. The rest and all other components look perfectly fine. Why are not the rest showing damage or at least signs of damage?

4. On any forum, the oil police come out and spout all sorts of info and slides. Thus it scares people and they are paranoid that if a place put in a slightly different spec oil, their engine is going south. Go to any diesel forum and there are thousands of oil posts and it even gets to the point, they will delete any new oil discussions. Then there's always the AMSOIL guy that shows up. They are everywhere. According to them, you put a drop of the wrong oil in, might as well send that car to the scrapyard. It's toast.

I suggest you do a search on the Hyundai Theta II engine. That debacle started out as blaming the owners for using the wrong oil. Early on, you needed super special oil and change it every 3K. Come to find out, Hyundai had a design flaw and were forced to extend the warranty on 1.8M engines. They were seizing up with no warning. It came down to an oil balance issue in the crank. Thus #1 rod bearing was not getting enough oil. Around 50K, they just seized up unannounced.

Best part was it took a whistleblower from Hyundai to expose the problem. Thus the company fired him and that's illegal to do (even in Korea). Top it off, the replacement engines were running into issues with the high pressure fuel line (these are DI motors) and those were catching on fire and burning to the ground. Thus another recall on 600K vehicles.
Sponsored