Sponsored

Anyone know how to remove spare tire studs?

Pistol527

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara-JL
I bought a GP Factor license plate relocation kit and the bracket doesn’t fit with the current studs that are in my Teraflex HD carrier. Any suggestions on how to get the studs out to relocate them with out damaging the threads? (They are on real tight)
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'm not sure how they're installed on that bracket, but wheel studs are typically pressed in. To remove them without a press, you can screw a nut onto the end of the stud and then drive it out with a hammer. The more engagement the nut has with the stud the better, but you'll want a minimum of 1.5 times the diameter. So for a 1/2" stud you want at least 3/4 of thread engagement.

OP
OP

Pistol527

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone know how to remove spare tire studs? 8DEA60E8-BD3F-44C2-8B69-380E48D81C78

no access from the back

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Put two nuts on the stud and tighten the nuts together. With a wrench on the bottom nut, turn counter-clockwise and the stud should come out. Put some PB Blaster or other penetrant on the threads to make it easier.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can use the same technique when installing new studs bolts., but you'd obviously put the wrench or socket on the top nut and turn clockwise.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’ve had to remove them. They are a real bitch to get off of there. Use a solvent like acetone or PB Blaster, a lot of heat, and a lot of leverage.

Soak the threads liberally as much as possible. At least overnight. Then heat the base area around the stud. A lot. Then you have to put 2 nuts on the end so that the outer one is locked against the inner. Take the longest breaker bar you can find and muscle up.

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
I bought a GP Factor license plate relocation kit and the bracket doesn’t fit with the current studs that are in my Teraflex HD carrier. Any suggestions on how to get the studs out to relocate them with out damaging the threads? (They are on real tight)
In the past, I have used two nuts. Thread them both onto one of the studs. Tighten them against one another, then put the wrench on the inside one to take off.

Hope that helps,
21 Willys
ooops, did not see the previous post from limeade.

OP
OP

Pistol527

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone. I will have to get a couple of nuts tomorrow and give it a try. I’ll keep you posted.

Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
You can use the same technique when installing new studs bolts., but you'd obviously put the wrench or socket on the top nut and turn clockwise.
Yup, Step 6 in the instructions: https://teraflex.com/file/attachments/5d2eac91ad5385007d2517a2.pdf

The thread size is M14 x 1.5, which is the same as Mini Cooper lug bolts. I actually used to have a Mini Cooper and still have a few of those bolts - so with nothing better to do with them, I used them to attach a couple of extra lug nuts for some useless aesthetics.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone know how to remove spare tire studs? 1618639353427

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Put two nuts on the stud and tighten the nuts together. With a wrench on the bottom nut, turn counter-clockwise and the stud should come out. Put some PB Blaster or other penetrant on the threads to make it easier.
So they're threaded in, instead of pressed. Disregard on my post then, that won't work at all. Nice tip on how to unscrew them Guy. That's actually similar to a technique I've used to remove stubborn rotors.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Another issue I ran into with this is that you may not be able to remove the 2 nuts from the stud after you remove it. They’ll likely be locked together so tight that getting them apart is impossible or infeasible. I’d suggest ordering the stud/nut kit from Teraflex beforehand so it’ll be there when you need it. I think it was only about $15.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Another issue I ran into with this is that you may not be able to remove the 2 nuts from the stud after you remove it. They’ll likely be locked together so tight that getting them apart is impossible or infeasible. I’d suggest ordering the stud/nut kit from Teraflex beforehand so it’ll be there when you need it. I think it was only about $15.
Use more elbow grease.......JK. This is how engine builders and others install and remove stud bolts for the mains, carb, etc.

You should be able to easily break the nuts free with a wrench on one and socket on the other and turn in opposite directions. You could also use a vise, locking one of the nuts in the jaws while you turn the other with a wrench.

OP
OP

Pistol527

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well done everyone. Got it done
Sponsored