Sponsored

Anyone installed a front locker and rear LSD?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
So my plan has always been to get rid of the rear LSD and install and ARB air locker. But my Jeep so far has no issues with the rear LSD, and it honestly performs well. I thought it was gonna crap out, or it was gonna be pretty bad and I was just gonna replace with an air locker. Now I am rethinking this, and actually thinking about installing a front locker instead, and leaving the rear LSD.

I watched a video on youtube where this Aussie guy tested different combinations, rear locker only, front locker only and both lockers on. Having front and rear outperformed either, obviously. But to this guys surprise, and mine as well, the front locker outperformed the rear locker on most situations. Not only this, but having a rear locker only engaged made some situations dangerous when going uphill; too much traction in the rear caused wheelies and dangerous tip-over situations. While the front locker only got the vehicle up hill with no issues. In situations where the rear locker outperformed the front locker, a LSD would do just fine.

So I am wondering if anyone has this setup LSD rear and front locker and if they like it. I am thinking of going this route to save some money for my camper and going rear locker in the future. Also, how much should I budget for parts + installation of front locker only? I was thinking around $2,000?. How about both front and rear?

Thanks!
Sponsored

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
You are in the same situation as myself. Glad you posted this and hope this thread gains some traction.

I love my LSD and both rear tires lock up really well, no issues as of yet (knock on wood). I want to install a Torq Locker in the front, but have been holding off. I would love to hear from people who have a lunchbox locker in front and their experiences with it.

Most of my 4wheeling is mud and snow. My Jeep is my DD, so I don't do the Moab type stuff.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I'm also looking at a similar setup. Seems that the rear LSD would work well on or off road and having a selectable locker in front would be an advantage in tough spots on the trail.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
So my plan has always been to get rid of the rear LSD and install and ARB air locker. But my Jeep so far has no issues with the rear LSD, and it honestly performs well. I thought it was gonna crap out, or it was gonna be pretty bad and I was just gonna replace with an air locker. Now I am rethinking this, and actually thinking about installing a front locker instead, and leaving the rear LSD.

I watched a video on youtube where this Aussie guy tested different combinations, rear locker only, front locker only and both lockers on. Having front and rear outperformed either, obviously. But to this guys surprise, and mine as well, the front locker outperformed the rear locker on most situations. Not only this, but having a rear locker only engaged made some situations dangerous when going uphill; too much traction in the rear caused wheelies and dangerous tip-over situations. While the front locker only got the vehicle up hill with no issues. In situations where the rear locker outperformed the front locker, a LSD would do just fine.

So I am wondering if anyone has this setup LSD rear and front locker and if they like it. I am thinking of going this route to save some money for my camper and going rear locker in the future. Also, how much should I budget for parts + installation of front locker only? I was thinking around $2,000?. How about both front and rear?

Thanks!
You like the rear LSD, consider the TruTrac helical LSD for the front. It would be a set it and forget deal. I've heard they work really well.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I put a lunchbox locker in the front. I have the LSD in the rear. For $225.00, it's the best money you can spend on your Jeep, outside the $100.00 rubicon rock rails.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do these lunchbox lockers work in the front axle when your Jeep uses the Selec-Trac full time 4WD transfer case or are they only for part time?

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I put a lunchbox locker in the front. I have the LSD in the rear. For $225.00, it's the best money you can spend on your Jeep, outside the $100.00 rubicon rock rails.
Finally!!! Someone responded.

Details Man....we need details. LOL.

I have a million questions for you, but I'll save you the death by papercut.

1. How hard is it to turn while in 4 wheel, say while climbing a rocky hill for example? Is it as bad as people say, or not so much?

2. Occasionally, I do need to be in 4HI driving down HWY (Whiteouts, super slick snow packed roads and etc). During these times I'm naturally driving slow - 45 MPH or less. Have you had any negative experiences in the conditions mentioned above?

3. If going thru a mud hole, deep snow and etc, can you still maneuver the Jeep easy? Say for example I need to pick a new line quickly, will the Jeep respond? Or does it want to keep going straight?

Probably better quit here for now.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Do these lunchbox lockers work in the front axle when your Jeep uses the Selec-Trac full time 4WD transfer case or are they only for part time?
On Torq Lockers website and info videos, they do not recommend putting these on vehicles with SelecTrac full time 4WD. I think this goes for all the manufactures, due to safety reasons.

If your vehicle suddenly switches to 4WD you could be in a world of hurt. You would probably crash/run off the road. The steering becomes very tricky when your front wheels are locked.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I woudlnt personally put a lunchbox on a JL. I am thinking either ARB or Eaton electric locker. But they are so close in price that ARB seems worth the extra cash.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Finally!!! Someone responded.

Details Man....we need details. LOL.

I have a million questions for you, but I'll save you the death by papercut.

1. How hard is it to turn while in 4 wheel, say while climbing a rocky hill for example? Is it as bad as people say, or not so much?

2. Occasionally, I do need to be in 4HI driving down HWY (Whiteouts, super slick snow packed roads and etc). During these times I'm naturally driving slow - 45 MPH or less. Have you had any negative experiences in the conditions mentioned above?

3. If going thru a mud hole, deep snow and etc, can you still maneuver the Jeep easy? Say for example I need to pick a new line quickly, will the Jeep respond? Or does it want to keep going straight?

Probably better quit here for now.
Ask all the questions you like! I'm here to answer them for you.

1) Not hard at all. In fact, I barely noticed in Moab on the slick rock/sand conditions.
2) I have never driven my Jeep in 4H on the freeway, so I can't answer this sorry.
3) I've never driven my Jeep in deep mud or snow. However in the desert southwest, I can pick or change lines as easy as without a locker.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I woudlnt personally put a lunchbox on a JL. I am thinking either ARB or Eaton electric locker. But they are so close in price that ARB seems worth the extra cash.
I can't justify spending 1k on a locker for a D30. I'll be upgrading the entire front axle. The ring gear (and axle shafts) is just too brittle when you factor in larger tires, regearing and a locker.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
On Torq Lockers website and info videos, they do not recommend putting these on vehicles with SelecTrac full time 4WD. I think this goes for all the manufactures, due to safety reasons.

If your vehicle suddenly switches to 4WD you could be in a world of hurt. You would probably crash/run off the road. The steering becomes very tricky when your front wheels are locked.
I saw the advisory on the Torq Lock website, which led to my question. Sounds like a selectable locker is what I'll need, if I go down that path.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Just curious, but why not? Don't get me wrong, selectable lockers are amazing and anyone would be crazy to not prefer them to open diff. However, you do have more stuff that can break vs a lunchbox locker.
Round two.....

1. What brand did you go with and how bad is the ratcheting when turning?

2. Is you Jeep stock? Meaning tires and/or lift.

3. How has your components handled it? Any issues with to much stress on
U-joints? Or any similar mechanical issues?

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Why not? Just curious.
Sponsored