Sponsored

Anyone install the Alpine PSS-23WRA factory upgrade kit?

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Keep in mind this is not the same as the Alpine upgrade from the factory. This kit is only an amp, 2 tweeters, and a sub. If I'm not mistaken, the factory upgrade is for all speakers. For $1200, heck for even $800, you can do a lot better aftermarket!
Sponsored

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
Garbage. Total waste of money. All my speakers pop and hiss at anything over 20 on the volume bass while it has some now is a joke with the tops off its even worse my jbl Bluetooth destroys this thing.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks man. I've been wondering if this was BETTER than my 8.4" Alpine. I kind of thought it would be and the dealer was selling us the $400 version for $1500.

My Alpines not amazing but I'm glad it's built in and it does the job. May upgrade the amp or something one day just not worth the hassle right now and I hate having car audio stuff for people to make my Jeep a target.

Tarch5280

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
Just installed this in my JLUR. I had the 7ā€ uconnect system without factory sub. Also have the one touch power top (which alters soundstage when open)-

First thoughts-
Yes itā€™s expensive. But... worth it in my opinion. The custom bracket, the pre-made wiring harness, the plug and play functionality all made my installation a breeze. Literally was done in just about an hour.

Second- before purchasing I took my rig to a very high end shop to hear what they might want to do to make the jeep sound better... and got a $3500 estimate. The reality is, I didnā€™t buy this jeep because Iā€™m an audiophile- if you are then Iā€™m sure this system isnā€™t for you. If you just want a dramatic improvement to the volume levels and overall soundstage with some much needed bass thatā€™s lacking from the factory- this is the perfect solution.

Finally- for all of those saying their speakers are popping and cracking- itā€™s important to check all of the dip switches/cross over settings on the amp and sub before you install- I am not having any issues with this but can definitely see where it would be easy to screw up those settings and ruin your system. The instructions very clearly lay out the ideal settings for the stock radio install.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Just installed this in my JLUR. I had the 7ā€ uconnect system without factory sub. Also have the one touch power top (which alters soundstage when open)-

First thoughts-
Yes itā€™s expensive. But... worth it in my opinion. The custom bracket, the pre-made wiring harness, the plug and play functionality all made my installation a breeze. Literally was done in just about an hour.

Second- before purchasing I took my rig to a very high end shop to hear what they might want to do to make the jeep sound better... and got a $3500 estimate. The reality is, I didnā€™t buy this jeep because Iā€™m an audiophile- if you are then Iā€™m sure this system isnā€™t for you. If you just want a dramatic improvement to the volume levels and overall soundstage with some much needed bass thatā€™s lacking from the factory- this is the perfect solution.

Finally- for all of those saying their speakers are popping and cracking- itā€™s important to check all of the dip switches/cross over settings on the amp and sub before you install- I am not having any issues with this but can definitely see where it would be easy to screw up those settings and ruin your system. The instructions very clearly lay out the ideal settings for the stock radio install.

Question, after install, what happens with the underseat A/C, heat duct? Is it blocked? I cant imagine its good in the winter to have hot air blowing on the amp and sub...???

Sponsored

Tarch5280

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
Question, after install, what happens with the underseat A/C, heat duct? Is it blocked? I cant imagine its good in the winter to have hot air blowing on the amp and sub...???
Itā€™s not completely blocked, but will def blow air onto the mount for the amp... I too am curious as to how that will work in the winter. Iā€™ve checked the heat being generated by the amp today (itā€™s 97 and super humid in PA) and itā€™s minimal- Iā€™ve been driving for about an hour with it playing. Perhaps itā€™s got enough heat sync material to not cause any issues with the duct being there.

Tarch5280

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
Itā€™s not completely blocked, but will def blow air onto the mount for the amp... I too am curious as to how that will work in the winter. Iā€™ve checked the heat being generated by the amp today (itā€™s 97 and super humid in PA) and itā€™s minimal- Iā€™ve been driving for about an hour with it playing. Perhaps itā€™s got enough heat sync material to not cause any issues with the duct being there.
Another note to add- If you have the mopar all weather floor mats for the rear seats- you have to modify the passenger side mat so it slides back in and around the amp mount arms- just a little trimming but the mat still will be functional and hold water/mud without spilling

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Another note to add- If you have the mopar all weather floor mats for the rear seats- you have to modify the passenger side mat so it slides back in and around the amp mount arms- just a little trimming but the mat still will be functional and hold water/mud without spilling
Ok thanks for the info. My other idea is to replace front dash and knee panel speakers with a 5 1/4 inch component set, add 5 channel amp and sub in rear...decisions time money...

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
I just clicked on the link and it shows $1300 now. I missed out on the $800 deal.

davepb326

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Hey guys. I have a sport S JLU with the non-alpine radio and obviously it lacks in the low end in terms of audio. Obviously i could just install a sub but i saw the Alpine PSS-23WRA as a plug-and-play kit but cant find a single review on it. Anyone install this? If so..thoughts on it?
I know that this is a late reply, but I wanted to provide some info... I was looking at this install and was not able to find any real info from anyone who installed. I bought and installed this weekend in my 2019 JLU SportS with the base system and am happy with the sound, Clean, full and loud. The bass is there, but it is coming from a 8" shallow sub under the seat, not a 10 or 12 sub in a box. I think that upgrade costs too much for what you get, but I kinda knew that before I purchased. I also liked that it came with the T harness to take out all the guess work and everything mounts under the seat securely to prevent the easy theft while the jeep is open. I could have spent more and had a local installer make me a system but I would rather get a lift tires and wheels for that price :). I hope this info can help someone.

Sponsored

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
How does this sound with the top off?? Right now I'm thinking of going with the stealthbox option. But if I can save 2k.. then this may be a better option.

I don't listen to crazy bass.. but it would be nice to have a bit more clarity. I can't find any good reviews online. If it's not worth the money, then what are my other audio options for under 900$ ???

Mr.Fatstacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Sport Manual
I really wanted a good stereo in my 2 door, but didnā€™t want to spend $3-4000, or lose cargo space (currently no stealthbox available for JL 2 door).

I have the base 5ā€ UConnect.

I put in the PSS-23WRA from alpine (bought it from amazon on sale for $900) , added the metra JP-1014 speaker pods (for $50), and a set each of 3.5ā€, 4ā€ and 6.5ā€ infinity reference speakers (can currently buy them all from crutchfield for $230 combined) to replace the rest of the factory ones.

The 4ā€ soundbar ones didnā€™t fit as the magnets are significantly bigger in diameter than the stock ones, but Iā€™ve ordered a set of spacers that will hopefully let me get them in there.
The 6.5ā€ infinitys fit in the metra pods no problem, the PSS system has tweeters that replace the dashboard 3.5ā€, and the 3.5ā€ infinitys went into the soundbar without an issue.
So far, running it without the 4ā€ speakers Iā€™ve found the sound quality to be much better and available volume considerably higher than stock. It isnā€™t high end $3000 system sound quality by any stretch, but for the formats Iā€™m using (Bluetooth files at 192kb/s quality at best) and ā€œWrangler soft-top road noiseā€ Iā€™m more than happy with it.

I installed it all in the garage, and my Jeepā€™s interior still looks identical to stock, which is sweet.

Is it worth what I paid for it all? I doubt most people would think so, but Iā€™m happy!

xJO98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Hi all, new member and wanted to re-energize this thread as I just installed the PSS-23WRA in my Sahara Unlimited. I am pretty happy with the system overall for what it provides which is volume, clarity and a little kick when the top is down and windows open on highway. I knew it wouldnā€™t be a slamming system like a full blown aftermarket system with JL stealth box etc but I liked the Alpineā€™s seamless integration and install. And believe me I am firm believer in the power of the stealth box, had one in a Dodge Ram crew cab, for a 1x10, that thing SLAMMED and I hit it with 300-400 watts.

Anyways, again knowing what this Alpine upgrade system was providing I am happy with the results except one thing, the soundbar speakers are popping at high volumes. The stock knee speakers seem to be fine, the new tweeters no issue but with the system at volumes higher than 20, the rears seem to give up the ghost if the bass is higher than +2/+3 area on radio EQ. I triple checked the dip switch settings before I put the seat back and dialed in the front and rear gains maybe one hash mark higher than the Alpine instructions. If I fade to fronts only they are fine. Even with bass at +4/+5 fronts and sub are fine unless its very bass heavy hip hop but for hard rock itā€™s fine. With the bass at +2, it seems like the remote bass control for the subwoofer does nothing.

So Iā€™m curious how your installation of the 4ā€ Infinityā€™s ended up working out in the sound bar if you got the spacer you needed? Is the system well balanced?

Or has anyone with the Alpine system gone the SSX adapter route and put a set of 6.5ā€ coax speakers In the soundbar, if so, what brand did you go with and did you have towe tweak the amp settings accordingly?

Mr.Fatstacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Sport Manual
I did get the 4ā€ infinity speakers installed in the sound bar with the help of the spacers, but then also had to space the grills out. Now I have a small gap between the grill and the soundbar that Iā€™ll probably fill with weatherstripping or something eventually.
If I was doing it again, I would go with the Alpine PSS-23WRA, infinity references in the knee and SSX adaptors and 6.5 infinityā€™s in the soundbar. It was more hassle to install the 3.5ā€ and 4ā€ upgrade speakers in there than it was worth. Would be a decent upgrade without losing cargo space or spending too much.

iniezen

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I really wanted a good stereo in my 2 door, but didnā€™t want to spend $3-4000, or lose cargo space (currently no stealthbox available for JL 2 door).

I have the base 5ā€ UConnect.

I put in the PSS-23WRA from alpine (bought it from amazon on sale for $900) , added the metra JP-1014 speaker pods (for $50), and a set each of 3.5ā€, 4ā€ and 6.5ā€ infinity reference speakers (can currently buy them all from crutchfield for $230 combined) to replace the rest of the factory ones.

The 4ā€ soundbar ones didnā€™t fit as the magnets are significantly bigger in diameter than the stock ones, but Iā€™ve ordered a set of spacers that will hopefully let me get them in there.
The 6.5ā€ infinitys fit in the metra pods no problem, the PSS system has tweeters that replace the dashboard 3.5ā€, and the 3.5ā€ infinitys went into the soundbar without an issue.
So far, running it without the 4ā€ speakers Iā€™ve found the sound quality to be much better and available volume considerably higher than stock. It isnā€™t high end $3000 system sound quality by any stretch, but for the formats Iā€™m using (Bluetooth files at 192kb/s quality at best) and ā€œWrangler soft-top road noiseā€ Iā€™m more than happy with it.

I installed it all in the garage, and my Jeepā€™s interior still looks identical to stock, which is sweet.

Is it worth what I paid for it all? I doubt most people would think so, but Iā€™m happy!
Hi @Mr.Fatstacks: question about your speaker setup. I have a similar setup (not installed yet) and an audio guy is telling me that I will probably have too much tweeter since I have a 1 inch tweeter in the dash and the 6.5 in the knee panel comes with a built in tweeter. I think the infinity reference 6.5 also has a built in tweeter. Do you find that you have too much high because you are getting it from the dash AND the knee panel? Thanks in advance for your response dude. This sound dude has me double guessing my setup.
Sponsored