Anyone install the Alpine PSS-23WRA factory upgrade kit?

Tags:
  1. cbrenthus

cbrenthus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '19 Mojito JLUR
    Liked:
    Keep in mind this is not the same as the Alpine upgrade from the factory. This kit is only an amp, 2 tweeters, and a sub. If I'm not mistaken, the factory upgrade is for all speakers. For $1200, heck for even $800, you can do a lot better aftermarket!

2. Brooklynjlu2018

Brooklynjlu2018 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Junior
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 wrangler sahara
    Liked:
    Garbage. Total waste of money. All my speakers pop and hiss at anything over 20 on the volume bass while it has some now is a joke with the tops off its even worse my jbl Bluetooth destroys this thing.

3. swozey

swozey Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    That sucks man. I've been wondering if this was BETTER than my 8.4" Alpine. I kind of thought it would be and the dealer was selling us the $400 version for $1500.

My Alpines not amazing but I'm glad it's built in and it does the job. May upgrade the amp or something one day just not worth the hassle right now and I hate having car audio stuff for people to make my Jeep a target.

4. Tarch5280

Tarch5280 Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep JLUR
    Liked:
    Just installed this in my JLUR. I had the 7” uconnect system without factory sub. Also have the one touch power top (which alters soundstage when open)-

First thoughts-
    Yes it’s expensive. But... worth it in my opinion. The custom bracket, the pre-made wiring harness, the plug and play functionality all made my installation a breeze. Literally was done in just about an hour.

Second- before purchasing I took my rig to a very high end shop to hear what they might want to do to make the jeep sound better... and got a $3500 estimate. The reality is, I didn’t buy this jeep because I’m an audiophile- if you are then I’m sure this system isn’t for you. If you just want a dramatic improvement to the volume levels and overall soundstage with some much needed bass that’s lacking from the factory- this is the perfect solution.

Finally- for all of those saying their speakers are popping and cracking- it’s important to check all of the dip switches/cross over settings on the amp and sub before you install- I am not having any issues with this but can definitely see where it would be easy to screw up those settings and ruin your system. The instructions very clearly lay out the ideal settings for the stock radio install.

5. Cutterone

Cutterone Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sahara 6sp
    Liked:

Question, after install, what happens with the underseat A/C, heat duct? Is it blocked? I cant imagine its good in the winter to have hot air blowing on the amp and sub...???

6. Tarch5280

Tarch5280 Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep JLUR
    Liked:
    It’s not completely blocked, but will def blow air onto the mount for the amp... I too am curious as to how that will work in the winter. I’ve checked the heat being generated by the amp today (it’s 97 and super humid in PA) and it’s minimal- I’ve been driving for about an hour with it playing. Perhaps it’s got enough heat sync material to not cause any issues with the duct being there.

7. Tarch5280

Tarch5280 Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep JLUR
    Liked:
    Another note to add- If you have the mopar all weather floor mats for the rear seats- you have to modify the passenger side mat so it slides back in and around the amp mount arms- just a little trimming but the mat still will be functional and hold water/mud without spilling

8. Cutterone

Cutterone Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sahara 6sp
    Liked:
    Ok thanks for the info. My other idea is to replace front dash and knee panel speakers with a 5 1/4 inch component set, add 5 channel amp and sub in rear...decisions time money...

9. NavyChief

NavyChief Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler
    Liked:
    I just clicked on the link and it shows $1300 now. I missed out on the $800 deal.