Sponsored

Anyone here sell their Jeep to Vroom?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
You are correct, this is a new business model and they are willing to take a loss to gain market share. I fully expect this business model to severely put a dent in the traditional used car dealership experience sort of like Uber did to the taxi cab indusrty. It may take a few years, but I believe it is here to stay.
They are willing to take a loss or they are making money somewhere else? Maybe financing? Or the market really is upside down? Personally I could care less as long as I get what I want out of the deal. Lol. They basically paid me to dive my JLR for 2 years. Lol. My JLR is listed on their site for a touch MORE than the original MSRP from 2 years ago when you calculate in the $699 shipping fee they charge. Crazy!
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone received a substantially lower payment from the appraisal price after Vroom or Carvana actually gets the vehicle and looks at it? I saw one review saying that the appraisal price can be changed after they see the vehicle in person, and if you decline the new offer, it's on you to get it shipped back to you. No clue if all this is true, so hopefully people here with first hand info can confirm. Thanks in advance.
There is the possibility of the deal going bad if the vehicle is not the condition as actually described and evaluated. They specifically have language in the contract about this. They ask specific questions about mods and damage.

Perfect unmodified cars with no stories or any paintwork bring top money. I was offered more than what I paid new 2 years ago. I was skeptical initially. I could not believe they would pay what they offered. Vroom DID pay me what they offered. I think you are good as long as you are honest and accurate about condition and provide truthful answers to the evaluation before they make an offer.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Canyonero02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
There is the possibility of the deal going bad if the vehicle is not the condition as actually described and evaluated. They specifically have language in the contract about this. They ask specific questions about mods and damage.

Perfect unmodified cars with no stories being top money. I was offered more than what I paid new 2 years ago. I was skeptical initially. I could not believe they would pay what they offered. Vroom paid me what they offered. I think you are good as long as you are honest and accurate about condition and provide truthful answers to the evaluation before they make an offer.
That's my main worry is they try and give me less after they get the vehicle. They're price was $26k for my 2016 JKU Black Bear with 90k miles. Only mods are a 2.5" AEV lift, 34" tires on aftermarket wheels, and JW Speaker headlights. Nothing crazy or personalized. It's spotless except the rear plastic bumper where it got scuffed in a store parking lot.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's my main worry is they try and give me less after they get the vehicle. They're price was $26k for my 2016 JKU Black Bear with 90k miles. Only mods are a 2.5" AEV lift, 34" tires on aftermarket wheels, and JW Speaker headlights. Nothing crazy or personalized. It's spotless except the rear plastic bumper where it got scuffed in a store parking lot.
Vroom is pretty specific when they ask about the condition of your car. I think you would be OK selling to Vroom "IF" you evaluate your Wrangler accurately and honestly. Or shop it to Carmax and Carvana. Both pay on the spot after they inspect your car. Hell, dealers are short on good used cars now. Drive it over to a few dealers of your choice and see if they will pay more. I honestly think you can sell your Wrangler yourself for more on your own pretty quickly. I only sold to Vroom because of the insanely high price they offered. I was not even thinking of selling. Lol.

OP
OP

Canyonero02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
Vroom is pretty specific when they ask about the condition of your car. I think you would be OK selling to Vroom "IF" you evaluate your Wrangler accurately and honestly. Or shop it to Carmax and Carvana. Both pay on the spot after they inspect your car. Hell, dealers are short on good used cars now. Drive it over to a few dealers of your choice and see if they will pay more. I honestly think you can sell your Wrangler yourself for more on your own pretty quickly. I only sold to Vroom because of the insanely high price they offered. I was not even thinking of selling. Lol.
I purchased a new Jeep 7 hours away. I'm going to email the dealer pics and details and see what the come up with on a trade. Just don't want to make the drive and our numbers don't match up when I get there. I would be stuck.

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Not a JL, but I sold my 2018 Lexus IS to Vroom for $3k more than what paid for it with 20k more miles on it. Seemed like a no-brainer for me.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I’m in the middle of a sale to Vroom. Their offer on my Tesla Model 3 was $19 less than Carvana....Vroom called about the bid and increased it by $200 when I emailed proof of the Carvana offer. I decided to go with Vroom after Carvana started asking for documentation I had already provided and uploaded. I Signed a contract with Vroom via DocuSign, received a Fed Ex package two days later, returned it Wednesday and received notice of carrier assignment yesterday. Pickup has not yet been scheduled. The only thing I am worried about is damage in transit. My car is perfect and I plan to video the vehicle at the time of pickup with the transit driver in the clip.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I purchased a new Jeep 7 hours away. I'm going to email the dealer pics and details and see what the come up with on a trade. Just don't want to make the drive and our numbers don't match up when I get there. I would be stuck.
I see your in IL. IL caps the sales tax credit at $10K so your sales tax credit (savings) is only $975 at the max. That's not a lot to have to beat by shopping your trade around to other buyers. Don't feel like you have to sell to Vroom, CarMax, Carvana. They just advertise and market the most so it's in everyone's head. Every car dealer in the universe will be interested in buying a clean trade in today's used car market. Take your trade to a few local dealers for offers. They buy cas all the time. Ask to talk to the used car manager. Clean used cars are in HUGE demand I believe you will get more than what you are expecting. Show them your online offers.

Or even better sell your trade-in yourself. My offer was really high and there was not a lot of room between Vroom's offer and the original MSRP. Vroom actually has my Wrangler listed at more than the original MSRP when you take into consideration the $699 shipping charge. That's the only reason I did not sell private party. The margin was too thin on my deal.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m in the middle of a sale to Vroom. Their offer on my Tesla Model 3 was $19 less than Carvana....Vroom called about the bid and increased it by $200 when I emailed proof of the Carvana offer. I decided to go with Vroom after Carvana started asking for documentation I had already provided and uploaded. I Signed a contract with Vroom via DocuSign, received a Fed Ex package two days later, returned it Wednesday and received notice of carrier assignment yesterday. Pickup has not yet been scheduled. The only thing I am worried about is damage in transit. My car is perfect and I plan to video the vehicle at the time of pickup with the transit driver in the clip.
The carrier assignment could use a little better communication on Vroom's part. I would not wait the 2-3 day for the carrier to call you to schedule. I would call the number for the carrier they provided and schedule as soon as you get the number to call.

I had some anxity also. You don't have to worry about damage in transit. The carrier is required to take a bunch of pictures at pick up and he confirms any damage. You have to sign off on his inspection before signing for the Bill of Lading. It's theirs after that. The driver/carrier will email you a copy of your Bill of Lading right aay. Email that to Vroom right away and they will process your payment. I got a check before 10am the next morning.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The carrier assignment could use a little better communication on Vroom's part. I would not wait the 2-3 day for the carrier to call you to schedule. I would call the number for the carrier they provided and schedule as soon as you get the number to call.

I had some anxity also. You don't have to worry about damage in transit. The carrier is required to take a bunch of pictures at pick up and he confirms any damage. You have to sign off on his inspection before signing for the Bill of Lading. It's theirs after that. The driver/carrier will email you a copy of your Bill of Lading right aay. Email that to Vroom right away and they will process your payment. I got a check before 10am the next morning.
I much appreciate your response and will proceed accordingly.

Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Thought I’d share my Vroom story for the sale of my 2021 JLU Rubi. The short story:
- sold it to Vroom for more than I paid for it 18 months ago at $54,000!
- processing took longer than I’d expect (see timeline below), but worth it for $4K more than Carvana or CarMax
- happy with the outcome, would use them again (if not in a rush)

Background:
1/15 - Carvana appraisal - $40,100
4/19 - Carvana appraisal - $50,100
4/19 - CarMax appraisal - $49,000 - had to go into the store
4/19 - Vroom appraisal - $49,500
4/22 - Day before appraisal expires an increase of $500 to $50,000

The final deal:
4/23 - Vroom appraisal - $54,000
4/30 - accepted appraisal, sent in my details
5/7 - requested for more information, the back of my DL
5/12 - paperwork to sign for the sale - a one page doc that needed a signature
5/18 - carrier assigned for pick up
5/25 - picked up
5/27 - check sent by FEDEX
5/28 - check received

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/carvana-or-vroom.71119/
For sale:
6/5 - For sale on their website - $57,999!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I much appreciate your response and will proceed accordingly.
I would also wash and clean your car before the pick up. You want your car looking it's best. Just like as if you were trading to a local dealer. or private party. You want to have a clean car for evaluation. The driver inspects for damage at pic up. The cars are usually delivered to Mannheim Auto Auctions with the Vroom window plaque you printed. Your car gets inspected again once it is delivered and processed for intake.

I actually tipped my carrier driver $20 because he offered to load my JL on top. No fluids from other cars potentially dripping on it. The $20 was well spent because the driver actually called me personally to tell me he dropped off my JL safely for intake.

I can see Amazon trying to buy COX automotive or Mannheim one day to corner the the used automobile business.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For sale:
6/5 - For sale on their website - $57,999!
I had the same experience. Vroom paid me to drive my Rubicon for over 2 years. I got more than I originally paid 2 years ago. They have mine listed for over the original MSRP when you add the $699 shipping. How are they making money? I don't know? Frankly I don't give a damn as long as the check clears! LOL!!

Kez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Tide (Punk’n)
Just sold our Sahara to Vroom. It took a month in total, and had a few small speed bumps but worked out fine. I sold a Nissan Frontier to Carvana last year and that was much quicker and more painless.

Our Sahara MSRP $49,980
We paid ~$43k + TTL

4/12/21 - Vroom offered $40,500
4/27/21 - Resubmit after expiration; Vroom offered $46,830
4/28/21 - Accepted Vroom offer, uploaded docs
4/29/21 - Receive contract and e-Sign it
5/03/21 - Receive FedEx envelope overnighted, contains only TX POA for the title (related to payoff of loan with Ally and transferring title, I presume)
5/05/21 - Send it back via FedEx overnight
5/09/21 - Have heard nothing, send email to the address given in the paperwork, ask for update.
5/10/21 - Receive call telling me that someone accidentally destroyed the POA document we sent.
5/11/21 - Receive new POA
5/12/21 - Send back POA
5/13/21 - Get email telling me Acertus has been assigned as Carrier, will hear from them in 2-3 days.
5/18/21 - I call Acertus asking when they're coming. They tell me that Vroom marked this as an exchange, not as a straight pickup only. Acertus was waiting on Vroom for more info on the vehicle that was coming to me. I tell them I'm only selling to Vroom, they apologize even though not their mistake, and let me know they'll contact a local contractor and they'll call me in 1-2 days.
5/20/21 - Local towing company calls me and says they'll come 5/24.
5/24/21 - Jeep picked up by local towing company, bill of lading says it's heading for Manheim Auction in Statesville, NC.
5/27/21 - Receive overnight check for equity, and Ally got the payoff check (Vroom gave me both tracking numbers)
6/1/21 - Ally processes full payoff; Jeep saga is over. For now :)

Towing company checked nothing on the vehicle. It went straight to the auction and not their website, which I found interesting. Maybe the close proximity of the auction made it easier to just dump it off there than check it out and list it on Vroom's website.

From time of contract signing, I asked and was told I had a max of 1000 miles to drive it. That was good because we drove it 870 miles on a family trip in between. No hassle later about this, and I don't think anyone from Vroom really ever checked out the Jeep.

I did check Carvana the whole time, they were about $1500 less. Knowing the difference in how smooth and fast Carvana was for me last year, if I sell a vehicle in the future and the price was under a $500 difference, I'd go with Carvana.

But Vroom is probably just fine if you have time to wait.

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

a fellow Jeeper was trying to unload her 2017 JK Sport and had no luck selling it just to pay off her loan. Vroom came through and she made a few grand off it. she said it was super smooth transaction.
Sponsored