Sponsored

Anyone have TSB 09-012-22 performed on their 3.6 for spark knock and misfire CEL?

snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU)
Do you have more details on this TSB? I just had an engine failure in Australia and the catch can was blamed for it causing oil ingestion.

Attachments

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanks, I've attached report of the end result of oil getting into motor.
I’m sorry to say but from an outside perspective, this story is very entertaining. Youposted YouTube ideas of you off road burning oil like crazy and they hired a detective to catch you.

It’s pretty clear what happened here lol, oil hydrolocked the engine and exploded the piston.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I’m sorry to say but from an outside perspective, this story is very entertaining. Youposted YouTube ideas of you off road burning oil like crazy and they hired a detective to catch you.

It’s pretty clear what happened here lol, oil hydrolocked the engine and exploded the piston.
Yep, and the underlying question is why oil is getting the system? Is it a case of Jeeps with 3.6 should just not be used this way? Or is there an underlying problem causing it? This seems to be it as they have released a TSB that looks to address the issue. Does the updated PCV fix the issue of oil getting into the intake system?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Yep, and the underlying question is why oil is getting the system? Is it a case of Jeeps with 3.6 should just not be used this way? Or is there an underlying problem causing it? This seems to be it as they have released a TSB that looks to address the issue. Does the updated PCV fix the issue of oil getting into the intake system?
This TSB has nothing at all to do with the flooded intake at high angles issue.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
This TSB has nothing at all to do with the flooded intake at high angles issue.
Yes and no, " caused by oil intrusion through the PCV system " does the new PCV part reduce/stop oil passing through it stopping the intake getting flooded with oil at high angles?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Yes and no, " caused by oil intrusion through the PCV system " does the new PCV part reduce/stop oil passing through it stopping the intake getting flooded with oil at high angles?
no.

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
Been looking into the UPR catch can. Curious if the breather option is necessary?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
you have the new PCV and it's made no change to the issue on slopes?
No, I see no need for the change. There is no design feature of a pcv valve that can stop liquid oil from passing through.

1988JDFJeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2018
Have an oil analysis done.
Not even going to bother at this point. I’ll get an oil analysis done when my engine blows up for free. Considering Jeep would rather an engine blow up then approve a service center to open up the engine because “there are no visible signs of an issue”. Just my Jeep misfiring non-stop when accelerating and a rough idle that eventually stops.

This is the only Jeep I’ve ever owned and it will definitely be my last Jeep. Every service center is subpar and most people would be better off going to a guy that has no experience working on a Jeep ever. Dealerships don’t know how to diagnose anything unless a computer tells them and even then they usually don’t get right the first pass.

The first issue I had was my seat latch snapping and when they fixed that issue, they also scratched the hell out of my door sill and the fender. On top of that they didn’t even put the seat back properly and they didn’t even apologize. Had to repaint the fender and the entire rear panel. They of course didn’t even tell me that and found out when I got home.

SUBPAR or NO CAR

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Not even going to bother at this point. I’ll get an oil analysis done when my engine blows up for free. Considering Jeep would rather an engine blow up then approve a service center to open up the engine because “there are no visible signs of an issue”. Just my Jeep misfiring non-stop when accelerating and a rough idle that eventually stops.

This is the only Jeep I’ve ever owned and it will definitely be my last Jeep. Every service center is subpar and most people would be better off going to a guy that has no experience working on a Jeep ever. Dealerships don’t know how to diagnose anything unless a computer tells them and even then they usually don’t get right the first pass.

The first issue I had was my seat latch snapping and when they fixed that issue, they also scratched the hell out of my door sill and the fender. On top of that they didn’t even put the seat back properly and they didn’t even apologize. Had to repaint the fender and the entire rear panel. They of course didn’t even tell me that and found out when I got home.

SUBPAR or NO CAR
bye

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
No, I see no need for the change. There is no design feature of a pcv valve that can stop liquid oil from passing through.
You don't drive your Jeep offroad?
Sponsored