Sponsored

Anyone have to drill sensor holes in aftermarket rear bumper?

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I may be installing a new rear bumper to replace my stock plastic bumper. The one I am considering does not have sensor holes. Has anyone had to drill sensor holes in an aftermarket rear bumper? If so, did all work out well? Any idea on the size of drill bit? I want to make sure I have answers to some of these questions prior to purchasing. Thanks!
Sponsored

nanu

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey Rubicon JLU, 1983 CJ7
I may be installing a new rear bumper to replace my stock plastic bumper. The one I am considering does not have sensor holes. Has anyone had to drill sensor holes in an aftermarket rear bumper? If so, did all work out well? Any idea on the size of drill bit? I want to make sure I have answers to some of these questions prior to purchasing. Thanks!
Following, anyone have success with any aftermarket rear bumper where the sensors work as designed?

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
They work great:

3A2FDF74-5531-4010-9AC4-19CBA5F6D5BD.jpeg
Man that looks nice. I was thinking of doing this as well with the motobilt. Any tips on bit size etc? I’m guessing you used a stepbit ?

ProjectJL

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Man that looks nice. I was thinking of doing this as well with the motobilt. Any tips on bit size etc? I’m guessing you used a stepbit ?
No clue, DCD Customs did all the work. Up close it looks factory. It’s not just drilled. The sensors are in plastic mounts to angle properly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That's the key. To get them angled.correctly. I'm planning to install my bumper soon but will leaving the sensors for a rainy day. Need to think a little more about how to execute.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's the key. To get them angled.correctly. I'm planning to install my bumper soon but will leaving the sensors for a rainy day. Need to think a little more about how to execute.
I had a plastic bumper which I think had flat sensors and then when the local shop here replaced the bumper (holes pre-drilled from JCRoffroad) the outer plastic bezels were ordered from Mopar for $2-3 for the OEM metal bumper and they are angled. All 4 point inwards.

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yes the plastic and metal bumper bezels are different. I'm going to order four of the bezels for the metal bumper to have a set of each and then see which works best.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I just removed my bumper and unplugged them. No warning lights other than the parksense not available message when shifting in reverse. I don’t look at that in reverse anyway.

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just installed my rear bumper yesterday and will have an install video shortly. It's currently without sensor holes. I did notice the park sensor light is on because the sensors have been disconnected. Not sure if I will drill holes in the new bumper as I'm not sure if I'll miss the parking feature.

Sponsored

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Anyone know the part number(s) for the steel bumper holders?

screech

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
on order - 2019 Wrangler Sahara - 4d, Bikini!
I just removed my bumper and unplugged them. No warning lights other than the parksense not available message when shifting in reverse. I don’t look at that in reverse anyway.
Love your jeep! Just had mine delivered, nearly a twin to yours!!!

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Hey, anyone have the part number for the bumper sensor holes? Not the sensor bezels, just the holes.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I had a plastic bumper on my Rubicon and while the JCR Offroad Vanguard bumper had holes, they didn't work with the OEM mounts I had. What I ended up doing was prying the original plastic sensor mounts off the OEM bumper and using JB Weld (epoxy) to secure the original mounts, and then I just put the sensors in there. It works, BUT I am getting some conflict now that I have installed the Shield tire carrier - maybe have the tire mounted too low and middle sensors are seeing that; will try to move it higher tonight. WISH I had seen this metal bumper Mopar parts post earlier!!!

Deleted member 33002

Sweet spot is between 1 - 1-1/8 inch hole Key thing is to keep all sensor bezels at the same position as factory.

B00E73DC-FA4A-4F93-A470-A153F6655C9B.jpeg
Sponsored