Sponsored

Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack?

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
How's the fit in the standard storage compartment with the large base? I haven't opened mine up to investigate.
I haven't tried storing it in the spot where the factory jack is located because it just looks too big. I think it might fit OK in the cargo tub, but I carry other supplies in that spot. Not a big deal though. When I drive around town, I just leave it at home, but will load it up with all my other gear when I go off road. It really doesn't take up much space and is worth the peace of mind.
Sponsored

Reactions: RZ.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
You more or less get what you pay for. If this works for you, great. Be careful around jacks, regardless of source.
Yep. I splurged on a US Jack. Not only are they built well, but I was counting on that quality translating into not leaking in the storage compartment.

Jinksnyou

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangle Unlimited Sport
Went to jack up the Jeep to put a jack stand underneath to remove those verdammt wheel spacers, and it shifted and fell of the jack (only a few inches).

However, it was enough that the base of the jack got torqued and the "teeth" on the base got pushed out of whack as seen below.

gj4FK86.jpg

NdrSEh1.jpg

I tried banging on the base with anything solid enough to let me and bupkis. It's stuck this way forever far as I can tell.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so, how did you fix it? Actually fix the old jack somehow or just s**tcan it and get a new one?

Inquiring minds want to know. I went out and got a 2.5T floor jack and that thing's the bee's knees, unfortunately it's way too awkward and large to actually keep in the rig for emergency use.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? Adjustable Rifle Rest

I never trusted them much but I found a better light weight use for them

Reactions: RZ.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
OK...here's the last update on my unnecessarily long HMMWV jack saga! Since the Safe Jack pad was a little loose on the ram, I found a 1" diameter copper sleeve at Lowe's, cut about 1/2" off of it and slid it right over the ram. Fits nice and snug on the ram, but a little looser inside the jack pad receiver, allowing it to swivel freely...not sloppily like it was before. Granted, I could have accomplished the same thing with a little duct tape, but the copper sleeve is more durable, less chintzy, and won't melt goopy sticky stuff when my jack sits inside a 200-degree vehicle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? IMG_4564.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? IMG_4563.JPG

Sponsored

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
It’s not lifting the entire Jeep, just a corner of it.
One odd thing to note, is the listing for the HMMWV jack indicates a 3500-lb capacity, which is less than every JL model. Even a 2-door Sport is 3797 lbs. HMMWVs can weigh well beyond 5000 lbs, depending on how they are configured, so just curious if that jack is the real deal.

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not lifting the entire Jeep, just a corner of it.
And a portion of the weight of the adjacent corners. As you start to jack up one corner, say the passenger rear, you'll see the passenger front and driver rear lift a bit as well.

So you're lifting more than 1/4 of the vehicle weight, but less than 1/2. I would say probably around 1/3 (or about 2,000 pounds).

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And a portion of the weight of the adjacent corners. As you start to jack up one corner, say the passenger rear, you'll see the passenger front and driver rear lift a bit as well.

So you're lifting more than 1/4 of the vehicle weight, but less than 1/2. I would say probably around 1/3 (or about 2,000 pounds).
My point was you’re not lifting up the entire weight of the vehicle. I didn’t think that I would have to get it down to the exact percentage. When I speak to someone on this forum, I speak as if I’m talking to a friend. I don’t know anybody that would be that frikin picky as to know that I was speaking to the idea and not doing a math problem. But thanks soooo much for correcting me, I’m sorry I’m not perfect like you.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Oh, I see that you’re from California, that explains it.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Bottle jack for sure

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You know what is worse than a hi lift jack. A high lift jack, a broken arm and still stranded way out in the middle of nowhareville.
Sponsored