Sponsored

Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack?

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I've used the scissor jack twice on my jl sport s to change flats. No issues. I have a jack base for it, so I'm also not fully extending it to lift the tire (33s)a couple inches off the ground.
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Not a jeep but I did have one collapse on an Escalade. Was in process of swapping a flat in the garage. Not sure why I used the scissor jack in all honesty being that a floor jack was equally accessable at the time. While the wheel was off and I was reaching for the spare down went Frasier. Faster than anyone would have the chance to move out the way. I was fortunate in that the spindle actually contacted the concrete and kept the rotor from ever touching ground. Eventually reached for the floor jack to get it back up and wheel installed. Never touched a scissor jack again. That was nearly 20 years ago.
Same here. My wife called me a few years back saying she got a flat on her way to work. She was driving her '03 Jeep Liberty, and made it to the parking lot, which was nice and level. The KJ has the same scissor jack. I got it lifted up, got the tire off, then the jack slipped and the Jeep went down. Fortunately, it missed me and landed on the shock mount. Scared the bejeezus out of us!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
One odd thing to note, is the listing for the HMMWV jack indicates a 3500-lb capacity, which is less than every JL model. Even a 2-door Sport is 3797 lbs. HMMWVs can weigh well beyond 5000 lbs, depending on how they are configured, so just curious if that jack is the real deal.
Just to level set, you aren't lifting the entire vehicle. Look at the floor jacks we use for service. Most are 2 to 2 1/2 ton, and yet I lifted the entire front end of my 6000lb truck.

For the scissor jack haters, I'll just say that if you have the brains god gave a frog, you don't want to be under any vehicle supported by any jack. I've seen vehicles fall with a number of different jacks, scissor jacks included. All were a result of user error. Bottle jacks are very reliable, but a vehicle can slip off as easily as any other. Whatever you use, stay out from underneath the vehicle and don't be surprised if the vehicle falls because of many reasons (mainly, like didn't set the parking brake and chock the tires).

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
P.O.S. Scissor jack(s) I've had many failures with them being used for what they supposedly made for. Sadly I've "responded as a LEO" to a few of the failures too. I've had a few failures on one's used as stabilizers on T.T. In my military time I've seen the Hummer one's fail to, military Hummer is over weight pig then packed with gear. After units got them and tire changes became "operator level" under built jack for job "Motorpool and HD floor jack" best choice. Hummer one is a good if brand new with bag n tools, the one I got with the 1114 Hummer I was signed for in 2000 wouldn't lift it. My go to jack is a hydraulic bottle jack, in my JT, LJ was same in XJ (used High-Lift or floor most on XJ) and MJ. I've got a few, in 31 years I had one to fail AKA break. It broke at base after a hard life it was a small 2 ton Years of use. In my JT I've got a H.F. 8 currently, a 4 ton and substantial wood block(s) 2x10- 2x8 squares. The jack buddy for hydro jack is highly recommended, I've had slipped off hydro jacks too.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the scissor jack haters, I'll just say that if you have the brains god gave a frog, you don't want to be under any vehicle supported by any jack. I've seen vehicles fall with a number of different jacks, scissor jacks included. All were a result of user error. Bottle jacks are very reliable, but a vehicle can slip off as easily as any other. Whatever you use, stay out from underneath the vehicle and don't be surprised if the vehicle falls because of many reasons (mainly, like didn't set the parking brake and chock the tires).
I've seen quite a few collapse due to improper mfg. metal failures, rivet failures. I do agree on slipping off of bottle jacks.
:like:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
One thing to be careful about with bottle jacks is that you have to get under the vehicle to work the pump if you're jacking the axle. Make sure you're not in the way if it falls off the jack during this time. That's why I prefer a scissor jack with an extended crank to a bottle jack. If I'm never under the vehicle, I'm not likely to be injured.

I carry an aluminum floor jack in my pickup. It's better than most others for most situations. But, no jacks are "safe".

I'll just add that I've had a floor jack blow the seals when I had a vehicle on it. (keep in mind, there's a bottle jack in most of these) Nearly all of the floor jacks that we use are cheap imports. Sure there are still some traditional makers here in the states, but that doesn't mean they can't fail either.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To add to that the jack is to just get tire off and back on. Not to lift up more than that, but probably many of us have done that. Jack stands are your friends then.

Every time I see someone who is under or next to a vehicle on "just a jack" causes me stress... must be I've seen to many needless deaths, severe injuries and amputations.

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
I've only seen it mentioned in a couple posts so far and needs to be said over and over:
USE A JACK STAND WITH WHAT EVER STYLE LIFT YOU CHOSE!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've only seen it mentioned in a couple posts so far and needs to be said over and over:
USE A JACK STAND WITH WHAT EVER STYLE LIFT YOU CHOSE!
...and I'm even more chicken. I put tire/wheel under the vehicle frame or other convenient things

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
...and I'm even more chicken. I put tire/wheel under the vehicle frame or other convenient things
I'd never call you chicken. That's always been my oldest daughters nickname.
Any time lifting a car to work on is a situation where there is no such thing as too much when it comes to safety.

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
So.....based on the discussion in this thread, I purchased an unissued HMMWV jack and AO adaptor. Unfortunately, there is no room on the driver's end of the front axle for the adaptor to fit, so there's no way to use the jack for the front driver's side wheel. There is enough room along both axles for the other three wheels, but no sense in keeping this jack/adaptor kit if it doesn't work for all four.

Before I give up and return everything, just curious if anyone has another recommendation, perhaps for a different adaptor like the Jack Buddy.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Last edited:

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
To complete my HMMWV jack saga above (if you really are still interested), I ordered a jack pad from Safe Jack, which worked out much better than the AO adaptor because it is only 1.5 inches wide and fits perfectly at both jacking points on the front axle; rear axle has plenty of room. Only modification I made on the Safe Jack pad, was to cut down both ends by 1/2", to avoid contact with the other suspension components along each axle. The setup works great, but the diameter of the jack pad's receiver is approximately .10-inch wider than the jack's ram, so it is much looser that the AO adaptor. To mitigate this, I will try to find a metal sleeve that is big enough to fit over the ram, and small enough to fit inside the jack pad's receiver. If that's not possible, a couple wraps of duct tape around the ram will fill the void and keep the jack pad snug but still moveable.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? IMG_4509.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? IMG_4510.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? IMG_4511.JPG

Luckily, after all my time driving HMMWVs in the military I never had to use one of these jacks, but they are great for Jeep use, thanks to their robust construction and wide 12"x7" base plate. Bottle jacks are great, but a quality scissor jack will never leak and is pretty much indestructible if used properly. Pretty clear why these were standard issue in the first place.

Hope this helps others who are interested in this jack setup and glad to answer any questions. Happy (and safe) Jeepin'!

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
To complete my HMMWV jack saga above (if you really are still interested), I ordered a jack pad from Safe Jack, which worked out much better than the AO adaptor because it is only 1.5 inches wide and fits perfectly at both jacking points on the front axle; rear axle has plenty of room. Only modification I made on the Safe Jack pad, was to cut down both ends by 1/2", to avoid contact with the other suspension components along each axle. The setup works great, but the diameter of the jack pad's receiver is approximately .10-inch wider than the jack's ram, so it is much looser that the AO adaptor. To mitigate this, I will try to find a metal sleeve that is big enough to fit over the ram, and small enough to fit inside the jack pad's receiver. If that's not possible, a couple wraps of duct tape around the ram will fill the void and keep the jack pad snug but still moveable.

Luckily, after all my time driving HMMWVs in the military I never had to use one of these jacks, but they are great for Jeep use, thanks to their robust construction and wide 12"x7" base plate. Bottle jacks are great, but a quality scissor jack will never leak and is pretty much indestructible if used properly. Pretty clear why these were standard issue in the first place.

Hope this helps others who are interested in this jack setup and glad to answer any questions. Happy (and safe) Jeepin'!
How's the fit in the standard storage compartment with the large base? I haven't opened mine up to investigate.