Sponsored

Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack?

GunnerK19

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL 2 door Sport
Went to jack up the Jeep to put a jack stand underneath to remove those verdammt wheel spacers, and it shifted and fell of the jack (only a few inches).

However, it was enough that the base of the jack got torqued and the "teeth" on the base got pushed out of whack as seen below.

gj4FK86.jpg

NdrSEh1.jpg

I tried banging on the base with anything solid enough to let me and bupkis. It's stuck this way forever far as I can tell.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so, how did you fix it? Actually fix the old jack somehow or just s**tcan it and get a new one?

Inquiring minds want to know. I went out and got a 2.5T floor jack and that thing's the bee's knees, unfortunately it's way too awkward and large to actually keep in the rig for emergency use.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Went to jack up the Jeep to put a jack stand underneath to remove those verdammt wheel spacers, and it shifted and fell of the jack (only a few inches).

However, it was enough that the base of the jack got torqued and the "teeth" on the base got pushed out of whack as seen below.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? NdrSEh1

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? NdrSEh1

I tried banging on the base with anything solid enough to let me and bupkis. It's stuck this way forever far as I can tell.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so, how did you fix it? Actually fix the old jack somehow or just s**tcan it and get a new one?

Inquiring minds want to know. I went out and got a 2.5T floor jack and that thing's the bee's knees, unfortunately it's way too awkward and large to actually keep in the rig for emergency use.

Watch this video.

Get this jack
NOS Military Hummer H1 3500LB Humvee Scissor Jack KIT Adaptable for Off-road | eBay

Get this adapter, or if you're handy, make one from a leaf spring pad.
AO Axle & Frame Adaptor for H1 Scissor Jack - Agile Off Road

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
During the course of my job, I have changed tires for dozens and dozens of people on the side of the road. The factory provided scissor jacks are crap. They can work on level ground, but with any kind of sketchy or un-level footing you should count on them folding and failing. If you don't, you may get hurt.

These are factory-provided requirements, but they are basically trash. I hate using them. Granted, floor jacks eat up a bunch of trunk space, and more robust options eat up even more. But, just know that if you are relying on the space-saving scissor jack, you had better choose your tire changing stopping spot VERY carefully!

If you get a tire change done with an OEM scissor jack and the jack sustains no damage, consider yourself lucky.

OP
OP
GunnerK19

GunnerK19

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Egad. My wallet just ran from the room screaming in terror.

Actually, I'm looking at this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? SJSZMby
You more or less get what you pay for. If this works for you, great. Be careful around jacks, regardless of source.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
What..... is.... that.... thing !!
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? 1659492576634

a 4 ton bottle jack from Harbor Fright does the job and they are cheap .. you can add a base and the Jack buddy and have a much better option that will work in many situations.. and it is not that big..

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You mentioned you were "gunshy" over some characteristic. I'd suggest the characteristic to be gunshy over is the cheapest solution.

OP
OP
GunnerK19

GunnerK19

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 4 ton bottle jack from Harbor Fright does the job and they are cheap .. you can add a base and the Jack buddy and have a much better option that will work in many situations.. and it is not that big..
I checked the HF 4T bottle jack, and it looks good for the price. However, I think I'll go with the 8 ton version for $15 more that has a max height of 17 5/8 inches. The 4T goes up to 14" which is only an inch more than the 13" from the ground to the axle bottom on my Jeep.

And yea, the jack buddy is going to be a necessity.
Sponsored