Anyone have the Rampage 90435 California Brief top? Need Clarification

Marc3

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Gang: There seems to be a ton of conflicting info on this product so hoping someone has one and can confirm as well as give me an opinion on the quality.

The Rampage website description for part 90435 appears to be a 1 piece with the windshield channel included for $44.99 - quite a low price.

https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-90435-california-extended-brief

Third party sites: 4wheelparts, cjpony, etc.. All list this same part as a 2 piece combo top with the windshield channel being extra.

So which is it and does anyone have a link to the Rampage Windshield channel for a JLU? Do they make one?

I assume the Bestop JLU channel would work based on the fact that Bestop is the OEM for the soft tops. I would hope their aftermarket windshield channel is the same. Can anyone confirm?

I have a Bestop Full Safari on order with the windshield channel but it won't ship for over a month. I will likely cancel to get the Rampage version if I can confirm whether it's a 1 or 2 piece top and if I need to buy a channel.

thanks!
Marc
Sponsored

OP
OP

Marc3

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: I just spoke w Rampage and they clarified a few things.
-The 90435 is indeed a 1 piece California top and the windshield channel is included. Their website listed is for $44.99 which was a "too good to be true" price and it was.. Somehow from the time I called to the time I spoke with the support agent, they updated their site and it now shows $189..

-Their "Black Diamond" fabric is indeed twill -it's sailcloth. I had read elsewhere that Black Diamond (or maybe this is just Bestop) was a vinyl material.

This product should be back in stock with Rampage around 7/27/20.

I asked if they were selling the windshield channel separately in case I got one of the other tops but he indicated there was no plan to do this.

It sounded like they may have some patent challenges that have been the cause of some delays and possibly the reason for them not selling it as a separate item.

He said they had a 2 piece top for the JK model but not the JL. So he thinks that some of the retailers marketing this specific SKU as a 2 piece might have copied/pasted their description from the JK product.

Hope this helps out others.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I purchased this in Feb directly from Rampage for $45. Guess I got lucky. It works pretty well, but I don't think I would pay $190 for it.

I haven't seen the Bestop header, but the Rampage top wraps around and snaps into the header. I'm not sure the Bestop works the same, or if the snaps would be in the same location.

OP
OP

Marc3

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I purchased this in Feb directly from Rampage for $45. Guess I got lucky. It works pretty well, but I don't think I would pay $190 for it.

I haven't seen the Bestop header, but the Rampage top wraps around and snaps into the header. I'm not sure the Bestop works the same, or if the snaps would be in the same location.
Thanks. Did you get a header with your top? If not, which one did you buy? Or do you have the factory soft top?

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I did get the header with the Rampage brief top for $45. Same package, just looks like they jacked the price up considerably. Maybe to cover those patent challenges you mentioned.

I also have the factory soft top, but the Rampage top doesn't require any of the factory parts.

Sponsored

Chrishegs27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I also purchased this directly from Rampage for $45 and it came with the header. Best $45 I’ve spent on the Jeep so far. Not the best picture but all I have at the moment. I also have a hardtop only for what it’s worth.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have the Rampage 90435 California Brief top? Need Clarification 52F45025-8E98-4569-99FE-B075F86D044A

OP
OP

Marc3

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also purchased this directly from Rampage for $45 and it came with the header. Best $45 I’ve spent on the Jeep so far. Not the best picture but all I have at the moment. I also have a hardtop only for what it’s worth.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have the Rampage 90435 California Brief top? Need Clarification 52F45025-8E98-4569-99FE-B075F86D044A
Thanks for sharing the pic. Helps me understand how it fits - wow! What a steal for $45! Makes me even more angry. LOL.. Just kidding.. Oh well - at least I can say I didn't miss the deal when it was out of stock since we bought our JL 2 weeks ago. I see it elsewhere for $94 - maybe I should buy it if it includes the header. I paid almost as much for the Bestop header alone.

Chrishegs27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Thanks for sharing the pic. Helps me understand how it fits - wow! What a steal for $45! Makes me even more angry. LOL.. Just kidding.. Oh well - at least I can say I didn't miss the deal when it was out of stock since we bought our JL 2 weeks ago. I see it elsewhere for $94 - maybe I should buy it if it includes the header. I paid almost as much for the Bestop header alone.
Agreed I thought it was too good to be true but at that price I took the gamble!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I bought it for $45, for sure thought it was a typo. It's pretty awesome, even at $180. My big problem is they share the same mounting point as my magellan bags so I have to do either/or, not both.
Sponsored