Sponsored

Anyone have steering issue on a 2021?

bullfrog3459

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Caliber (Sold), 2012 Black Dodge Journey, 2021 HellaYella Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
Network Administrator / Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My wifes 2021 has no issues with steering. Having driven jeeps before we knew what to expect, though this is our first ownership of a jeep.

Our tires were factory inflated to 42 PSI. I run ours at 36 PSI cold and haven't had many issues. If we kept them at 42 like our drive home ... it was a bear ....
Sponsored

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
Brand new 2021 built in October 2020. Steering feels tight and true. But it only has 250 km on it. Hopefully it lasts

Jnez2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S
I just picked up my new 2021 Wrangler Unlimited today. I am extremely disappointed with the steering. It tracks dead straight, but there is a tremendous amount of play in the steering. By the time I go to make a small correction if drifting to the right or left it feels like I’ve turned the wheel 4 inches to make a correction and then have to recorrect the other way. Like it is on a rubber band. This is my first Jeep, but I have been driving cars and trucks for 35 years and I also know what danger feels like. It took a second to get the Jeep back in my lane after it wandered and then I was over corrected when coming back into my lane.
Very Unhappy and completely fatigued after a 3 hour drive home from the dealer. Will be calling dealer tomorrow
Out of curiosity, did you get very far with the dealer? I have a 2021 and have the same deal.

StuckinOH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
In my 2021 JLUR I had the same issue of loose steering up to 2" of center play dead zone making highway driving feel dangerous. I visited two dealerships. They said it's a "Jeep thing". I reviewed many threads on this forum before finally stumbling upon a video.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1199364

The first step in the video was tightening the bottom ball joint castle nuts. They definitely weren't hand loose but also weren't tight. I torqued them by one cotter pin position. This resolved most of the play especially at highway speeds. It's actually fun to drive now. I'm not suggesting this is everyone's fix but figured I'd share my experience.

As a side note I also replaced the stock LCAs with the 1/4" longer mopar LCA but there was no noticeable difference in steering.

Reactions: Tab

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I purchased my 2021 JL Rubicon in Idaho and drove it back to California. Coming from a Rubicon JK I felt like the new steering was much better. With that said, it is a jeep and the shorter wheel bases cause the vehicle to wander more than what most drivers are used too.
Sponsored