Anyone have recommendations on the best trailer hitch lock available

Ski

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon unlimited, 2009 Nissan Maxima
I have a 2019 Rubicon with the Mopar trailer hitch and am looking for recommendations on the best hitch lock to go with. Anyone have recommendations on the best to use or ones to avoid? Thanks in advance for your input!
Sponsored

sandygar4

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
I have a 2019 Rubicon with the Mopar trailer hitch and am looking for recommendations on the best hitch lock to go with. Anyone have recommendations on the best to use or ones to avoid? Thanks in advance for your input!
Quadratic has Bolt locks for both the receiver and the tongue lock that key to your Jeep key. No extra keys to loose.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've got a kit that looks exactly like this, although I bought it from NT (Northern Tool) way back when.

I've used the hitch pin for over a decade and have zero complaints.

It does take several turns to thread it together or apart, but it seems secure to me.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Locks/DeadBolt/7685.html

I've also got a Reese stainless one that HD was clearing last year, it uses some sort of a ball in a detent and while it works it just doesn't seem as solid as the link above.

I had one nice, solid forged draw bar and 2-5/16" ball stolen years ago and learned my $100+ lesson the hard way

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Bolt lock. ive Had several of them now. Love them.

OP
OP

Ski

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quadratic has Bolt locks for both the receiver and the tongue lock that key to your Jeep key. No extra keys to loose.

Thanks for your input.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ski

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got a kit that looks exactly like this, although I bought it from NT (Northern Tool) way back when.

I've used the hitch pin for over a decade and have zero complaints.

It does take several turns to thread it together or apart, but it seems secure to me.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Locks/DeadBolt/7685.html

I've also got a Reese stainless one that HD was clearing last year, it uses some sort of a ball in a detent and while it works it just doesn't seem as solid as the link above.

I had one nice, solid forged draw bar and 2-5/16" ball stolen years ago and learned my $100+ lesson the hard way
Awesome, thank you for your response!

OP
OP

Ski

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
It looks like their website hasn’t been updated. Quadratec has their products for the JL. See the link in my above post.

OP
OP

Ski

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Awesome, thanks for the info! One last question, does the size of the lock interfere at all with the hook-up spots for your safety chains?

Nope

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Dale:

We're going to need to define "best" here. I say this because, as much as I don't want to carry yet another key, and would rather a hitch lock that works with a key I already have with me, I use this product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVVVERO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not saying it's the best. What I am saying is the "costs" associated with carrying yet another key using this product are more than offset for me by the nature of its ablity to clamp on to the hitch and create a rattle free tow. It is, for me, the best of two products, the key matching clampless one, and the non-key match clamped one: the latter winning.

That other anti-rattle locking hitch pins may be better: quite possibly.

: - )

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Dale:

We're going to need to define "best" here. I say this because, as much as I don't want to carry yet another key, and would rather a hitch lock that works with a key I already have with me, I use this product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVVVERO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not saying it's the best. What I am saying is the "costs" associated with carrying yet another key using this product are more than offset for me by the nature of its ablity to clamp on to the hitch and create a rattle free tow. It is, for me, the best of two products, the key matching clampless one, and the non-key match clamped one: the latter winning.

That other anti-rattle locking hitch pins may be better: quite possibly.

: - )
In a prior life, I spent 10 years selling these things. They can all be removed easily by a determined person. People would come into the shop all the time because they lost their key and couldn’t get the lock off. Their jaw would drop when I’d get it off in seconds.

Anti rattle really isn’t a big deal.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I just drilled out the hole in the pin to 1/4”, and put a small padlock on it to replace the keeper clip.

I once had some jackass remove the keeper clip on my hitch while I was fishing at Fort Peck reservoir in eastern Montana.

The boat departed about 10 miles from launch site.

I wasn’t on my first beer, so didn’t notice the loss right off.

Fortunately it’s flat country, and it just cruised through a barbed-wire fence and came to rest upright in a pasture, with some curious cows gathered round.

Went to the nearest ranch, and apologized. Offered to help fix fence.

Rancher said he’d send his sons to handle that chore, and thanked me for reporting, so his cows didn’t get out.

Good day, all in all, I reckon.

Dalton07

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Daewoo Tocsa
The Master Lock trailer hitch lock is the lock I trust the most to use for my RV. I love how they built this lock, as its stainless steel construction makes for an extremely durable item that will help protect my trailer in the long run. It is also extremely versatile as it is capable of fitting Class I to IV joints, which makes it perfect for my Class III process.
Sponsored

Last edited: