Sponsored

Anyone have issues after replacing door bushings?

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Hi all.
Last year I replaced my door hinge bushings from the factory with brass ones. All was well, however winter in the north came and as I washed the Jeep I noticed that the doors are opening and shutting not well. They are tough to open and even harder to actually shut. Figured maybe salt got in there and caused some rusting somewhere, but the worse thing is, I canā€™t even get the doors off anymore.
I have it going into the shop today to look at the issue, and have even taken the hinge off the Jeep pillar to try and hammer it off to no avail.
Had anyone else had such problems if you have replaced your hinge bushings?
Sponsored

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Why did you use brass ones? HDPE is just about the perfect material for a door bushing.

Was there a problem with the originals??

OP
OP
CsD

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Used brass instead of plastic as the plastic breaks. My last Jeep, the bushings corroded so was getting ahead of the game.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I did brass in mine and have no issues. I did spray mine with metal protector every 3 or 4 times I put the doors back on and also once so far during winter because I donā€™t put the bottom bolts back on. I usually spray all the hinges and door latches every few months to keep them closing like new.

OP
OP
CsD

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
I did brass in mine and have no issues. I did spray mine with metal protector every 3 or 4 times I put the doors back on and also once so far during winter because I donā€™t put the bottom bolts back on. I usually spray all the hinges and door latches every few months to keep them closing like new.
Yea thatā€™sa great idea. The shop said to take the bushing removal tool and tap on the door pins from underneath. So hopefully thatā€™ll release the doors. One I do that Iā€™ll clean them up again and then maintain them a tad better.

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Yea thatā€™sa great idea. The shop said to take the bushing removal tool and tap on the door pins from underneath. So hopefully thatā€™ll release the doors. One I do that Iā€™ll clean them up again and then maintain them a tad better.
Just something to do during maintenance or when I am cleaning it from a day of wheeling. Iā€™ve seen to many people have a hard time getting the doors off and I refuse to let it get to that point. šŸ˜‚

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Did the original bushings tap right out? I've got some Kentrol Delrin bushings I want to install.

OP
OP
CsD

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Did the original bushings tap right out? I've got some Kentrol Delrin bushings I want to install.
Yea. Had to encourage them a bit, but they came out with no issues

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I used Delrin bushings and anti seize. No issues though 2 Canadian winters so far.
I wouldn't have used brass as I don't know how it reacts with aluminium.
Got a link for the brass ones you used?

OP
OP
CsD

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08KXVS6Y9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

thatā€™s what I went with. I didnā€™t put any anti sieze on which maybe the issue.
Interesting. I haven't seen the brass inserts at all. Hopefully you can get them out without too much damage.

I took my hinges off ad had them Linex'd. Might be an option if you damage the paint. Easily colour matched as well. If the Linex guy can't or wants to charge too much extra to colour match. Just get them done in black and get the small can of Mopar spray paint in your vehicle colour. Couple coats and shes golden.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have issues after replacing door bushings? 20220827_080309

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I did this on my TJ and the doors would not come up/off.

Found a trick to open the door a bit, enough to get a floor jack under the back end of the door (with a rag between them). Lift the jack up enough to put slight pressure on door, then rock door back and forth a few inches. Maybe give the jack one more pump if you need more pressure. Doors came right off this way.

Deleted member 59498

I will make a note on no brass! Will stick with the polyethylene

rshangraw

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Rubicon
I am having this same issue now. How did you end up getting them off?
Sponsored