Sponsored

Anyone Have Feedback on Kanati Trail Hog Tires?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to give an update on the 315/70/17 Kanati Trail Hog AT-4 tires I bought a while back. I have about 2,700 miles on them now and they have been great. I run them at 33PSI and for a load range E tire they do not ride rough at all.

The road noise is low (far less than the Falken Wildpeak M/Ts they replaced) and handling has been good in rain, snow, sand, and mud. I paid $1,040 for 5 of them delivered to the door and another $50 to Discount Tire to mount and balance them for a grand total of less than $1,100 for 5 tires.

The weight was spot-on as stated by the specificationsā€”65.4 and only had a variation of 0.1 pounds between the 5 of them. They are only 4.1 pounds heavier than the Falkenā€™s and I like the fact my unsprung weight has not gone too far from the OEM number.

Time will tell how they wear and if they become problematic with maintaining balance as they wear, but for now, I am very happy with my choice.

@blnewt
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I wanted to give an update on the 315/70/17 Kanati Trail Hog AT-4 tires I bought a while back. I have about 2,700 miles on them now and they have been great. I run them at 33PSI and for a load range E tire they do not ride rough at all.

The road noise is low (far less than the Falken Wildpeak M/Ts they replaced) and handling has been good in rain, snow, sand, and mud. I paid $1,040 for 5 of them delivered to the door and another $50 to Discount Tire to mount and balance them for a grand total of less than $1,100 for 5 tires.

The weight was spot-on as stated by the specificationsā€”65.4 and only had a variation of 0.1 pounds between the 5 of them. They are only 4.1 pounds heavier than the Falkenā€™s and I like the fact my unsprung weight has not gone too far from the OEM number.

Time will tell how they wear and if they become problematic with maintaining balance as they wear, but for now, I am very happy with my choice.

@blnewt
Great to hear! Have you had much time w/ them in the rain yet? Interesting that those weigh exactly the same as my new Mickey Thompson ATZ P3s in the same 315/70 size (except the Mickeys are D-rated). Keep the updates coming as it's a tire that really seems to give a lot of bang for the buck!

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great to hear! Have you had much time w/ them in the rain yet? Interesting that those weigh exactly the same as my new Mickey Thompson ATZ P3s in the same 315/70 size (except the Mickeys are D-rated). Keep the updates coming as it's a tire that really seems to give a lot of bang for the buck!
Very good in the rain. We have had a few days of 'frog strangling' rain since I posted and they handled it with no problem. The tread pattern is very similar to a Goodyear Duratec so I would opine the performance should be similar.

ziggybumwah

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Camaro Z28
Very good in the rain. We have had a few days of 'frog strangling' rain since I posted and they handled it with no problem. The tread pattern is very similar to a Goodyear Duratec so I would opine the performance should be similar.

Any chance you can share some pics?

and on a side note, I wonder if they'd mount to a standard rubicon jl wheel...

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance you can share some pics?

and on a side note, I wonder if they'd mount to a standard rubicon jl wheel...
Yes, they will fit. I sold my Rubicon wheels and bought a set of Willys (which were the same in all size aspects).

A few pics::
20210502_192345.jpg
20210502_192329.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

ziggybumwah

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Camaro Z28
Aw man, you are most definitely a bad influence. :like:
Thank you for the info. Ride looks great.

I just put in a 2 1/2ā€ lift on Friday and need to fill up the space with some 35s

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 5K on them now and they continue to impress for the cost. In full transparency, one of the five was defective. It took far more weight than the others to balance and even then, it did not ride very well and had a vibration at 65-75MPH that was more than a little annoying. It was mounted on the driver's side front and I could feel it in the steering wheel on the road.

I reached out to Greenball (manufacturer of Kanati) and they were very responsive. They sent me a FedEx label to send it back and after a few days they reported back that it was defective and sent me a new one. The replacement balanced very nicely requiring less that 4 ounces to balance it.

In the end, all manufacturer's can have defective products, but it is how they handle those defects that truly matters. Greenball gets two thumbs way up for their handling of my issue.

@Gotcha-Again-LOL - you may want to check on that one 37" that took so much more weight than the others. It may have an issue.

Last edited:

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Well I'm at 3,000 miles and I still love them. Dry, snow or rain they hook up. A little louder than the Pats but they work fantastic. Off road they really work well. Happy so far
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Have Feedback on Kanati Trail Hog Tires? IMG_20210514_161237641_BURST000_COVER

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon Mojito
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 5K on them now and they continue to impress for the cost. In full transparency, one of the five was defective. It took far more weight than the others to balance and even then, it did not ride very well and had a vibration at 65-75MPH that was more than a little annoying. It was mounted on the driver's side front and I could feel it in the steering wheel on the road.

I reached out to Greenball (manufacturer of Kanati) and they were very responsive. They sent me a FedEx label to send it back and after a few days they reported back that it was defective and sent me a new one. The replacement balanced very nicely requiring less that 4 ounces to balance it.

In the end, all manufacturer's can have defective products, but it is how they handle those defects that truly matters. Greenball gets two thumbs way up for their handling of my issue.

@Gotcha-Again-LOL - you may want to check on that one 37" that took so much more weight than the others. It may have an issue.
Bro thank you for this I will definitely reach out to them about this spareā€¦GREAT info thank you again

Buffalo Mtn Rubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon

Looking at these tires to put on new wheels as soon as I install the Clayton Overland 2.5 lift I just had delivered. What's your opinion on these tires after putting a few more miles on them?

Sponsored

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
I have about 8,500 miles on mine now and after about 5K I could feel the front drivers side tire is out of round. It felt a little wobbly in the rear but when I rotated them and it went up front you could really feel it. I've had them on for a while so I'm not going to waste my time pursuing any help because I'm sure too much time has passed. Love the way they look and work but this is a pain in the ass.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at these tires to put on new wheels as soon as I install the Clayton Overland 2.5 lift I just had delivered. What's your opinion on these tires after putting a few more miles on them?
I think they are fine for an economy all terrain. I upgraded to 37" KO2's a while back, but I had no issues with the Kanati's before I pulled them.

They were fairly quiet (had a bit of a high pitched singing to them at 70+ MPH), but otherwise quiet and worked well in the rain and slush.

TCFD40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
How was the overall experience with the Trail Hogs? How many miles did they last, etc? Iā€™m getting ready to install my lift and go up to 35ā€ tires and have been eyeballing these until I eventually regear and go up to a 37ā€.
Sponsored