Sponsored

Anyone have experience with Moab BLM campsites?

mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I am planning a trip to Moab the week of March 30th, and all the campsites that accept reservations are all full, except for a few of the commercial campsites in town which I would like to avoid. I see that there are quite a few BLM campsites spread out around the highways there and they are all on a first come first serve basis. What are the chances of getting a spot here? I will be driving up from Vegas on Monday, March 30th, so I can leave as early as I need to in order to better my chances of securing a camp spot.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mintswitch

mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw this thread, curious how you made out?
Well, Grand County Utah restricted the use of all lodging (including all campgrounds) to non-locals right before our trip, so unfortunately we were not able to go.

Assuming all of this nonsense is over with by the Fall, we plan on trying again in October or November of this year.

RastaPasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Ah yea, I figured there was a chance of that happening for you guys. I have a trip out there planned for July. If this isn't over by then... oof.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry dude. My family and I are (were) planning on camping in Moab this summer. It's sad.

Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I am planning a trip to Moab the week of March 30th, and all the campsites that accept reservations are all full, except for a few of the commercial campsites in town which I would like to avoid. I see that there are quite a few BLM campsites spread out around the highways there and they are all on a first come first serve basis. What are the chances of getting a spot here? I will be driving up from Vegas on Monday, March 30th, so I can leave as early as I need to in order to better my chances of securing a camp spot.
Just noticed this thread late as well...

For future use... be aware that not all the BLM land in the area allows dispersed camping anymore. Back in the '90's when I used to do a lot of photography there, I would always stay free and dispersed up on Island in the Sky on BLM land. Since then, however, the popularity of the Moab area took off and dispersed camping became more and more severely restricted because slobs ruined it for everyone. :mad:

Anyhoo... just be careful about where you THINK you should be able to stay - not all BLM land is actually accommodating anymore. Call ahead. It's possible maybe they figured out a way to reopen some things, but that usually doesn't happen that way.

I stopped going there over a decade ago because of this issue.

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Moab is definitely on my short list of places to go with the family - I hope that you’re able to get your trip in later this year!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Yup, I had planned on being there for EJS. Well that got shot down.... So maybe I will sping through there and try camping sometime in the end of July on our way home from the Rubicon trail. At least that is the plan.

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I used to be a guide in Moab in the late nineties. I can't believe what it has become. I went there recently and could not believe the destruction caused by ATV use. There were tracks everywhere where there were no trails and huge cryptobiotic soil impact and destruction. It is a shame that people have no respect for the land anymore. I can see why the BLM has had to restrict usage as the crowds were huge at all the major trailheads. I was driving down Long Canyon and came upon some climbers gearing up and they flipped my the bird. I was courteous and polite (I did not dust them out) so I stopped and asked what was up with the negativity. They explained that they were tired of the abuse caused by Jeepers and the ATV crowd. What a shame. Back in the day everyone respected everyone else's endeavors. I then asked which route they were going to climb. They showed my their guide book at which time I pulled out my drivers license and low and behold the name on the first ascent happened to match my license! :) They perked right up and began asking me for beta and all the animosity seemed to slip away! LOL!!
Sponsored