Sponsored

Anyone have buyer's remorse for ordering the 3.6 instead of the 2.0 Turbo.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The older 3.6 yes. The newer JL's 3.6 has been lightened up, not as heavy duty. Time will tell.
Not an issue. The PUG al as o has less friction which should be translate we into less wear. It is only weighs 4 lbs less. The places they shaved weight won't compromise it. Besides that, there are PUGs in 2016 and 2017 Grand Cherokees pushing past 300k. Time is already speaking on it.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Not an issue. The PUG al as o has less friction which should be translate we into less wear. It is only weighs 4 lbs less. The places they shaved weight won't compromise it. Besides that, there are PUGs in 2016 and 2017 Grand Cherokees pushing past 300k. Time is already speaking on it.
That's very good to know. Thanks.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Gen 1 version made 625K miles:

Some of the improvements on the Gen 2 are nice (save for 1 that is totally wasted):

- New ignition coils and platinum sparkplugs
- Eight hole injection nozzles
- Two stage VVT
- Compression ratio increased from 10.2:1 to 11.3:1 (complete waste on this--FCA could have capitalized on this, but chose to leave the tune and octane requirements at the bottom)

The loss of factory E85 capability is also not an improvement. From my perspective, I would think the Gen 2 version will last as long as the Gen 1 provided that maintenance is performed at reasonable intervals (which may not coincide with factory recommendations).

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Us 2.0 owners will be bitching when the turbos fail us and the valves get gunked up from direct injection.
I have the 2.0 and love it. But…I agree that if you plan to keep your JL for over 100,000 miles the 3.6 is a better bet. I don’t and therefore don’t care 😆

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
not at all - nada.....

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
I have the 2.0 and love it. But…I agree that if you plan to keep your JL for over 100,000 miles the 3.6 is a better bet. I don’t and therefore don’t care 😆
Yea me neither. Hell, I'm already contemplating getting rid of my Willys and its only got 1,500 miles lol

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I'm very curious what you think of 4.56 with 3.6 + 6sp. Please let us know.
I'm scheduled to have 4.88s installed along with 35's on JLUR 3.6 6-speed. Curious how I fair vs the 4.56's.

Prefer the big N/A simplicity of the 3.6 plus only engined offered with 3 pedals.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I loved...LOVED my 4.0 I6 in my '97 TJ. At the time, it was a brilliant combination with a manual transmission. A tank.

That lust for a love I shouldn't have lost directly translated into my 3.6 with a manual transmission. The 3.6 has been a champ, thus far. While I still love slinging the manual transmission, Jeep's AT is good enough to actually make me question whether I should have gone that route.

But, I haven't for a second regretted not even considering the 2.0T. While I believe the 4xe has a promising future, the world tech isn't really ready to support that battery requirement or the power grids to recharge a full world fleet of hybrid/EV vehicles. The diesel never caught my interest.

So, I have zero regrets with the 3.6.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
Yea me neither. Hell, I'm already contemplating getting rid of my Willys and its only got 1,500 miles lol
I'm curious why you're thinking of getting out already. I e had mine 2 weeks, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I love it. Tire noise is louder than I anticipated, but it's what I signed up for, not their fault.

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
I'm curious why you're thinking of getting out already. I e had mine 2 weeks, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I love it. Tire noise is louder than I anticipated, but it's what I signed up for, not their fault.
Honestly, I just don't trust these new era motors, especially the 2.0L turbo direct injection. It sounds like shit and its not even cold yet. Waiting on the water pump to leak, paint to bubble/corrosion, etc. Plus I'm a lonely jeeper in my circle, no jeeps buds to off road with.

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
I'm very curious what you think of 4.56 with 3.6 + 6sp. Please let us know.
I've had my new 4.56 gears a couple of weeks now and am very happy with them.

I've got 32" tires and don't plan on going with larger tires so thinking maybe 4.10's would have been a slightly better choice, mainly the few times I travel on the interstate at 80 mph., but not having driven one, I don't know for sure. Either way, I know I like them better than the 3.45's.