Sponsored

Anyone have buyer's remorse for ordering the 3.6 instead of the 2.0 Turbo.

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
Just got back last night from an 11 day trip Ohio > Yellowstone > Glacier > Ohio.
2021 wrangler 2.0 JLU Altitude soft top (must for mountains).
Engine/auto was a champ. Plenty of passing power, and exceptional mileage compared to my 3.6's (which are/were in JK/JLUR's)

We took two with the Midland GMRS #275 15w radios, made comms easy. Other Jeep was a 2.0 JLU 80th hardtop with a sunrider.

Usuable Range was about 400+ per tank. At 5000 miles, this was a long trip. Doing Ouray in a 2dr '21 JLR 3.6 in August. Fine motor as well but will be stopping for fuel much more often. (less mpg/smaller tank)

We have most engine combos amongst our 20's and '21s, the 2.0t is probably the best of the bunch for a long roadtrip.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have buyer's remorse for ordering the 3.6 instead of the 2.0 Turbo. Trip5024miles
Sponsored

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
When I was coming to a decision on which motor to have in my Jeep, one thing I wanted for sure was no turbo/no 4cyl. I've had them in my Subaru STI (albeit it's a boxer engine but you get what I mean) and constantly worrying about boost, pressure of boost and not if your ringland or turbo will fail but when, I had gauges and tunes to make sure I could get the most out of the engine but I knew, it will have to be rebuilt at some point. Every Subaru owner knows that the 4th cylinder closest to the turbo will get an issue due to heat and every 100,000 kms your either rebuilding your turbo or engine or doing a "refresh". So when I was choosing my Wrangler I wanted N/A, etorque was standard at the time and I couldn't get a 3.6 without it, but that was my driving factor. I know the 3.6 can have it's issues with the gasket leaking, water pump issues ect.... But I would take those any day over what I dealt with when I had my Subaru STI and a turbo car. For turbo's its not if, it's when and when always seems to happen when you least would want it to.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Have had my 3.6 JL for about a year and a half now. Love it. Was coming back from watching Top Gun yesterday and I was really zipping through traffic!

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Nope. Love my setup. 3.6 scoots. My last Jeep had the 4.0l. And that thing was anemic.

Sponsored

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Serious question...why is a 3.6 2k more than a 2.0 when factory ordering?

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Special ordered my 2019 Rubicon V6 at the end of 2018. The only thing on the lots was the 2.0 turbo and you had to special order the V-6. It was for sold orders only the dealers were forced to order the 2.0 turbo for stock. Around the forums here the new unproven 2.0 was/is extremely popular for some reason. Not me. special ordered the V6 and love it. Couldn’t be happier with my choice of 3.6 with the automatic its awesome and has been problem free. No regrets here. My non-E torque V6 Mojito! will be with me forever.🙏

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The Jeep to not own without a warranty is the first year of the 2.0 turbo wrangler. Why? It’s a limited run 2.0 turbo with e torque. Lol They dropped etorque now it’s 2.0 ESS only. Imagine how hard it’s going to be to get parts for that years from now. 😫😂🤣

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
The 2.0 is standard so they sell that as the default, to get the fleet averages up, since its a compliance engine.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
IDK but when the 2.0 was a premium charge over the 3.6 it was absolute 100% proof that the 2.0 was a better motor than the 3.6 because it was more expensive. Lol Go back and read the threads there’s many many of them. So what does it mean now ? the 3.6 must be better than the 2.0. What else can it be. LOL🤣😂🤣😂

dmen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Willys

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Because they know the 3.6 is tried and true for the most part and many repeat buyers know it. I'm betting that the majority of people buying the 2.0t are first time Jeep buyers and are clueless about how finicky they will be down the road. Better fuel economy, more pwr, hey why not. I feel bad for them.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Yeah they want to push as many 2.0's as possible. They badly need to offset all the Hellcat's and 392's. People largely buy what's on the lot so if what's on the lot is all 2.0s, they're gonna sell a lot of 2.0's.
Sponsored