Sponsored

Anyone have buyer's remorse for ordering the 3.6 instead of the 2.0 Turbo.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
There seems to be quite a bit of "I bought this, so that is obviously inferior" going on in this thread! :punch:

I have a 3.6 ordered. I'm hoping it's as reliable as my old TJ 4.0 was. But, if others prefer the 2.0, happy days for them.

I even loved my Toyota Tacoma (and still like my Tundra). šŸ˜³

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
There seems to be quite a bit of "I bought this, so that is obviously inferior" going on in this thread! :punch:

I have a 3.6 ordered. I'm hoping it's as reliable as my old TJ 4.0 was. But, if others prefer the 2.0, happy days for them.

I even loved my Toyota Tacoma (and still like my Tundra). šŸ˜³
I have owned both, I lean towards the v6 but both are good Motors

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
It is ... and thanks. The blue is ā€˜hersā€™ although I kinda dig the color too.
My buddy who works as a designer with Jeep for many years say Wranglers are very popular with the ladies.

However, my wife thinks they are too truck like for her taste. Would rather drive a BMW.

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
However, my wife thinks they are too truck like for her taste. Would rather drive a BMW.
One advantage of buying older vehicles and keeping them long term is that they set the bar lower for the next new vehicle. My finance is coming from a 2007 SUV with almost 200k miles.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
my 2.0t is getting bought back this month.. steering, transmission, water pump, electrical, and other issues all in the first year.. I was done 45 days in the first 9months.. so he is not alone ... I also got 13-14 mph in days to day local driving 19 on road trips... this Was my 3rd Jeep and I enjoy wheeling it and the lifestyle.. so I am buying another one.. but getting the v6 because I had it in my JKU and my wifeā€™s GC and the motor is a work horse and reliable.. the gas mileage on my 4cyl was nothing special and the 4 banger sounds like a trash truck... I donā€™t blame him for jumping to the toyo.. there is no excuse for the kind of workmanship issues he and I saw.. I just got a nice check from the buyout plus a new Jeep at a good price.. I was able to re use my aftermarket parts.. so I stayed with Jeep ... if I get another bad unit I will lemon law it again.. get my cash back.. and at that point likely look at the bronco or the 4runners (assuming they update the platform by then).. Jeep has enjoyed and abused market domination for off-road enthusiasts.. but more players are coming into the space... they really need to work on quality and technical improvements if they want to maintain there market share... my jku was a solid vehicle with no issues, this JLU has been trash.. hoping my 2021jlu that gets delivered in a week or two proves the JLU is worth sticking with..
This is totally different. You posted a thoughtful and honest critique of your situation. He came just to bitch about a vehicle that he probably didn't even own. Your situation is believable, his is clearly not.

bm2986

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Yes, I have buyers remorse. '19 Wrangler Sahara w/ 2.0L Turbo. This motor makes an unbelievable racket. The vehicle has about 40,000km on it now, and seems to be getting worse. There is an auxiliary fan that kicks when the Jeep reaches a high engine temp. Any accessory turned on, inclines on the road, hot sunny days, turns on the auxiliary fan. And man, does it scream.

Fuel octane as per the manual, all maintenance up to date, and this engine rattles like an old diesel. My mom even thought it was a diesel when she heard it running.

Previously had a '12 Wrangler w/ the 3.6 for half a decade, ran flawlessly. Looking at trading in my '19 for a 3.6 Rubicon.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Unpopular opinion here from someone in the used car business. Most people love their 2.0t. Of course they do, itā€™s still under warranty and has good pwr. But come back with this question in seven to ten yrs. The 2.0ā€™s will be problematic down the road as they age and resale will be less than the 3.6 by a large margin. Itā€™s just too small for the application and works far too hard to live very long. The current trend of 2.0tā€˜s by the many different manufacturers is a last ditch effort to preserve the ICE and conform to emissions regulations, and longevity will suffer because of it. We are already seeing this in the used car business. We will not sell anything with a 2.0t that has no factory warranty left because it's already becoming an issue. There's nothing about Jeepā€™s version that tells me theirs is better than all the rest. Just an opinion here from someone who sees lots of 100k+ mileage vehicles daily.
I wouldnt want one out of warranty. Ymmv.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
To be fair, I wouldn't want a JL out of warranty, period. I've been trying to warn everyone as much as I can - keep a warranty, because you are going to need it. This has nothing to do with the engine, or transmission, or suspension. Those are the least of our concerns.

Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Unpopular opinion here from someone in the used car business. Most people love their 2.0t. Of course they do, itā€™s still under warranty and has good pwr. But come back with this question in seven to ten yrs. The 2.0ā€™s will be problematic down the road as they age and resale will be less than the 3.6 by a large margin. Itā€™s just too small for the application and works far too hard to live very long. The current trend of 2.0tā€˜s by the many different manufacturers is a last ditch effort to preserve the ICE and conform to emissions regulations, and longevity will suffer because of it. We are already seeing this in the used car business. We will not sell anything with a 2.0t that has no factory warranty left because it's already becoming an issue. There's nothing about Jeepā€™s version that tells me theirs is better than all the rest. Just an opinion here from someone who sees lots of 100k+ mileage vehicles daily.

Absolutely spot on. The 2.0t is a compliance engine, not in the consumers best interest long term.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I'll take a V6, thanks. When I was picking up my JL at Gupton, a guy pulled up in a 2.0. TBH it sounded terrible. Like it was running on angry gerbils. I've owned multiple Hondas and Mazdas and I love a good I4, but not this I4 and not in this vehicle.

Most people will be better served by a V6 with proper gearing. The XR's 4.56 gears pair beautifully with the 8-speed and Pentastar.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
8 years and/or 150,000 miles on the 2.0,:and the current owners of these will probably be crying about their choice.

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
I'll take a V6, thanks. When I was picking up my JL at Gupton, a guy pulled up in a 2.0. TBH it sounded terrible. Like it was running on angry gerbils. I've owned multiple Hondas and Mazdas and I love a good I4, but not this I4 and not in this vehicle.

Most people will be better served by a V6 with proper gearing. The XR's 4.56 gears pair beautifully with the 8-speed and Pentastar.
the 2.0 seems even louder in the 4Xe. When running on just the battery itā€™s so quiet and smooth, and then when youā€™re sitting at a stoplight with the AC running, and the battery is depleted, and that 2.0 kicks on, itā€™s embarrassingly loud. My guess is itā€™s the loudest hybrid on the road haha.

Also, one of the oddest things with the 4Xe, is it has the power of a V8 with the combined 2.0 and battery, but when you punch it, it doesnā€™t feel like you have that power, because you can hear and feel that little 2.0 buzzing so hard and shifting. The speedometer says otherwise, but itā€™s one of the oddest acceleration satisfactions Iā€™ve ever experienced in a vehicle. Itā€™s fast but feels and sounds like an economy engine over working. I grew up with little German turbo engines and as I got older I learned I really prefer V6s and V8s for their smoother power and overall quieter performance. I love my 4Xe, but if I could swap that 2.0 in there with the 3.6 I would.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I have found on this open forum that threads like this it really doesn't matter what you tell people they don't listen, you can post facts and they read right over your post like it was never there (Most but not all)

It's become to annoying to try and help and educate people on the facts.

Jeep answered 60K Wrangler owners when most said they wanted more engine options. (Because they were not happy with the V6) My suggestion, do your own research, be vigilant in it, and then get what you want and then go have fun, cause you will no matter what engine you choose.
Sponsored