Sponsored

Anyone have buyer's remorse for ordering the 3.6 instead of the 2.0 Turbo.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
Maybe he has regerts (spelling intentional) about getting the 2.0t over the 3.6L. Hell, I could have the heavy foot in the world or drive 90 down the Interstate and still not get the 12 MPG's.

Either way, the Pentastar is a great engine and nobody should knock it. The 2.0t has been a great engine so far as well (unless you are the JeeperKeeper above).

No regrets here. Especially after I get this thing tuned a bit with a Mopar performance intake and exhaust to come.
Sponsored

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Why on Earth are you changing your oil so often?? 6,000 miles is still a bit early but at least it's reasonable. This isn't Dino oil after all, and that's good for at least 4k :)
Fair question.

Itā€™s because (1) Iā€™m married, (2) I have school age kids who genuinely enjoy on-the-spot in-home litigation regarding every possible dispute between themselves and insist that their mother and I (we both have the misfortune of being practicing lawyers) arbitrate those disputes ad nausem, (3) I have an attached garage that offers a small but crucial avenue away from my plight, (4) I got a ridiculously outstanding deal on a bunch (maybe too much) of quality 0w20 via rebate gymnastics and the like, (5) my Jeep is still pretty new and given that Iā€™m keeping it stock for now it means I really donā€™t have much else to wrench on it (I also changed both diffs at both 5K and 10K and will likely do so again at 15Kā€”also excessive/unnecessary) and (6) Iā€™m marriedā€”to a lawyer.

Please have mercy on me....

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Fair question.

Itā€™s because (1) Iā€™m married, (2) I have school age kids who genuinely enjoy on-the-spot in-home litigation regarding every possible dispute between themselves and insist that their mother and I (we both have the misfortune of being practicing lawyers) arbitrate those disputes ad nausem, (3) I have an attached garage that offers a small but crucial avenue away from my plight, (4) I got a ridiculously outstanding deal on a bunch (maybe too much) of quality 0w20 via rebate gymnastics and the like, (5) my Jeep is still pretty new and given that Iā€™m keeping it stock for now it means I really donā€™t have much else to wrench on it (I also changed both diffs at both 5K and 10K and will likely do so again at 15Kā€”also excessive/unnecessary) and (6) Iā€™m marriedā€”to a lawyer.

Please have mercy on me....
Understood. I suggest go for a drive, enjoy your Jeep while at the same time clearing your head! When you get home ask for a Whiskey neat to help forget your lot in life.

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willyā€™s Unlimited
Then find another dealer. There are a billion CDJR dealers out there. I have seven within a 20 minute drive of my house. No matter which brand you own, it is an absolute requirement to have a good dealer to work with these days.

I still don't buy your story. Engine knocking is not a problem that's tough to detect or fix. There are plenty of JL owners who have had mysterious electrical gremlins that are nearly impossible to troubleshoot. Knocking is nothing like that. It's a problem as old as internal combustion engines that even the greasy independent garage down the street with the 2002 F150 for sale out front could fix for you in a few hours. Absolutely no one buys a Wrangler and then trades it in at 259 miles for any reason.

You're just a hater here to prop up your Toyota. It's ok, we understand. Having to drive a Toyota sucks, we know...that's why we drive "piece of shit lemon" jeeps, it's still better than driving a Toyota.
Doesnā€™t matter what you think I didnā€™t come on here to troll anyone. I did dump it as I also had steering issues as well as paint issues on a brand new vehicle I just didnā€™t want to deal with that many problems. I just got a bad one. It happens. So I regret buying it. Thatā€™s all.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Doesnā€™t matter what you think I didnā€™t come on here to troll anyone.
Then why are you here? To trash a vehicle you no longer own or have any intention of ever owning again? None of your complaints are even about the purpose of this thread: buyer's remorse for 3.6 owners.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
In light of the new 392, I think we should call this the 220 (two-twenty). Has a nice ring to it. Comparing to the 122t, I definitely have zero regrets.

@lightsout The 3.6 does better on the 93/91 as well or at least in my experience. I only have 87, 89 or 93. The 93 takes away the engine knock considerably. I'm mostly in town driving. Stop sign to stop sign and usually no more than 35. The quick upshifting and the low MPH reduced the RPM's too much. If the Jeep would stay in lower gears (I did it manually), I had no audible knock.

Now, if the Jeep is mostly higher speeds I don't think there would be any issue with 87.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Then why are you here? To trash a vehicle you no longer own or have any intention of ever owning again? None of your complaints are even about the purpose of this thread: buyer's remorse for 3.6 owners.
I agree, total troll. Adds no value to our conversation.

I had a 2010 Honda CR-V that I absolutely could not stand, total POS. I'm not going on the CR-V boards telling people how bad that vehicle was. Same thing with a 2014 Tacoma that disgusted me so much that I traded it in 4 months later for a 2014 Tundra. FWIW the 3.6 Pentastar is a much better engine than the Tacoma V-6. My Tacoma sounded like a tin can, and the auto shifted horribly, and the brakes felt like stepping on a sponge.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Problem is now you're stuck driving a Toyota. Also, if you got 12mpg in a 2.0l turbo Wrangler then you have a very different definition of "light foot" than anyone i've ever met. 4Runners get about the same mileage I get in my Tahoe...that's not going to beat a 2.0l Wrangler.
my 2.0t is getting bought back this month.. steering, transmission, water pump, electrical, and other issues all in the first year.. I was done 45 days in the first 9months.. so he is not alone ... I also got 13-14 mph in days to day local driving 19 on road trips... this Was my 3rd Jeep and I enjoy wheeling it and the lifestyle.. so I am buying another one.. but getting the v6 because I had it in my JKU and my wifeā€™s GC and the motor is a work horse and reliable.. the gas mileage on my 4cyl was nothing special and the 4 banger sounds like a trash truck... I donā€™t blame him for jumping to the toyo.. there is no excuse for the kind of workmanship issues he and I saw.. I just got a nice check from the buyout plus a new Jeep at a good price.. I was able to re use my aftermarket parts.. so I stayed with Jeep ... if I get another bad unit I will lemon law it again.. get my cash back.. and at that point likely look at the bronco or the 4runners (assuming they update the platform by then).. Jeep has enjoyed and abused market domination for off-road enthusiasts.. but more players are coming into the space... they really need to work on quality and technical improvements if they want to maintain there market share... my jku was a solid vehicle with no issues, this JLU has been trash.. hoping my 2021jlu that gets delivered in a week or two proves the JLU is worth sticking with..

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Picked up my Willys yesterday. Only drove around for about 50 miles. So far the 3.6 etorque seems to have a good bit of power and a nice sound. I turned in my Cherokee Trailhawk with a 3.0 6 cylinder a few days ago and this car definitely has higher energy performance. It looks like my MPG will be 5 - 7 less than the Cherokee :(. Bigger engine, heavier less aerodynamic vehicle will do it.

My main reason for going with the 3.6 and losing some MPGs over the 2.0 was maybe a silly one, but driving a big honkin' vehicle with a 2.0 engine that sounds like I am driving my old Toyota Corolla 1983 just didn't seem right..

I think if engine sound and a small bit of turbo lag is not a big deal for you, the smart move on paper is the 2.0.

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
First post here in the Wrangler forums.

Have the 3.6 in the Gladiator and 2.0 in the Wrangler. Love both so far! If my wife drove a manual may have made a different choice :)

2021Nacho

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu Rubicon, 2015 Jk sport
Occupation
Semi-retired
I wanted a manual so 3.6 was it. Itā€™s a decent power plant. Over the years it has been on many top 10 lists. Is it the ideal Jeep engine? No but itā€™s pretty good.
It's definitely not the old tried and true 4.0 straight six but it does the job very well on my jk and jlu