Sponsored

Anyone have buyer's remorse for ordering the 3.6 instead of the 2.0 Turbo.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
No regrets at all for me going with the 3.6. Both engines are good options and it's a personal choice decision.

I researched both engines throughly and have owned turbo-charged 2.0s from other manufacturers in the past. I normally keep vehicles years after the factory warranty is a distant memory. The turbos are much more complicated and expensive to maintain/repair out of warranty.

One recommendation for 2.0t owners if they plan to keep it out of warranty is to install a catch can if legal in your state. It's not in mine :(

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
One recommendation for 2.0t owners is to install a catch can if legal in your state.
So far it looks like FCA did a good job and a catch can isn't needed with the 2.0. From what I have seen, those that have installed them haven't been catching much of anything.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Owned a pentastar in 2011 for 7 years, oil filter issue then and an oil pump. For what those repairs cost I took a chance on the turbo. LOVE IT!
You mean you loved paying for oil filter and pump repairs, so now you wanted to add an expensive turbo to the list? šŸ˜‚

Just breaking your stones... cool color Jeep!

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
So far it looks like FCA did a good job and a catch can isn't needed with the 2.0. From what I have seen, those that have installed them haven't been catching much of anything.
This is good to hear!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If any of those engines could be had without ESS then I'd go with that one, otherwise V6 for me :)

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
If any of those engines could be had without ESS then I'd go with that one, otherwise V6 for me :)
The 2021 model 2.0 does not have ESS. I think a couple of the 2020 2.0 models were also available without ESS.

Starting with these models, the 3.6 is actually more complicated of an engine now. Turbos have been around forever. Thereā€™s nothing complicated about a turbo engine. The people who think a turbo engine is complicated are silly.

EDIT:
For some reason I mixed up eTorque and ESS in my head. I meant ā€œeTorqueā€ in all the places I said ā€œESSā€.
I mean that the 3.6 is now more complicated than the 2.0T because of 3.6 having the eTorque system.

Last edited:

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I drove both and both make a 2 door move like stink. I would have ultimately been fine with either, but (if this makes sense), the turbo did not seem to suit a Wrangler. Mine is ā€rusticā€ (no power anything), and the 3.6 seems more appropriate ... the sound, the slight rumble, etc. If I was buying a Cherokee or sedan, turbo would be my choice.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I have both. 2019 JLU 3.6 and 2021 JLUR 2.0. Both are 8 speed and neither has e torque. Both perform well, I especially like the 8 speed. I live at 7000 ft and it feels like the 2.0 accelerates a bit quicker, especially at highway speeds and going up hill. Its amazing how quick it can get around an 18 wheeler on the interstate. I've driven both over 11000 ft elevation and the 2.0 just feels peppier. On long trips the 3.6 has performed well, haven't taken a long trip with the 2.0 yet. The 2.0 is still new, less than 1000 miles, but they're both getting about the same mileage. So far all I've run in the 2.0 is 86 octane. There is a slight turbo lag on the 2.0, but it's not bad and I'm used to it already. I don't notice much difference in noise level, they just sound different. Test drive both and buy the the one you like best!
Sponsored