Sponsored

Anyone have any ideas what’s going on here?? (Engine Noise)

OP
OP
SirPedro

SirPedro

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Update:

Had the jeep towed to the dealer this morning and just got a call and asked where I have been taking it for oil changes. I told them they did the first one and I’ve done the rest as per the maintenance schedule myself. I use the Kirkland brand full synthetic and a Fram premium filter.

Service tech says he suspects incorrect oil was used. (Which is not the case)…however, I asked how that has anything to do with the electronic start/stop since that’s the first warning I got on the dash and then the engine light stayed on.

Service tech says there’s no issue with start/stop and it checked out fine and everything else was fine. And they wanted to do an oil and filter change.

They went ahead with the oil change and cleared the codes and said it was fine.

Codes were:

P000B-BANK 1 CAMSHAFT 2 POSITION SLOW RESPONSE
P0016-CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT-BANK 1 SENSOR 1

Don’t see how that’s related to oil and nothing about start/start….anyways the kicker is a bill for $380

I understand eating the oil change but $200 for scanning under warranty??
Update 2:

Spoke with dealer service and questioned the $200 diagnostic fee. Totally fine paying for the oil change. And no problem paying the $200 if it’s clearly explained why it’s not under warranty. They said they’d speak with management and see if anything can be done about the fee but said doing your own oil change can lead to Chrysler/Jeep voiding my warranty. If that’s the case, then that should be explained and stated on the bill of sale because who’s gonna risk a voided warranty of a vehicle that cost almost $80,000 to save a few bucks on an oil change?
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: AFD

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
There is no way the problem in your video related to poor oil quality. If so, your engine would be shot. More dealer BS….

Candidly, I go to the dealer for oil changes just to eliminate a reason a warranty claim might be denied. Fortunately my dealer seems to be better than most….

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...but said doing your own oil change can lead to Chrysler/Jeep voiding my warranty.
Sadly, that is indeed a possibility.

By way of example, there's a few folks on this forum who've had to wrestle with warranty claims due to having a "lifted Jeep", when in fact (a) it's a Mopar factory lift that was (b) installed by the same dealer who is attempting to deny warranty coverage because of the presence of the lift that they were paid to install!

-----------------

Anyway, I knew from Day 1 that I'd be the only one laying hands on my Jeep unless otherwise absolutely necessary. I even get a bit cranky handing over the fob when I have the Jeep in for the annual PA state inspection.

Anyway, as a hedge against a potential warranty denial, I keep an envelope of receipts in the garage. They prove the purchase of compatible engine and gear oils, and oil filters. I also keep every oil analysis report provided to me by Blackstone (they've received a used sample after every oil change that I've performed.) I also use a proprietary spreadsheet to log the date, mileage, etc. any time I do something to the vehicle.

If I ever have to wrestle with my own dealer regarding powertrain warranty coverage, I'll give them a storm of paperwork that they won't believe.

OP
OP
SirPedro

SirPedro

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I ended up paying the bill. I have all the oil and filter receipts and recorded mileage. However, going forward I’ll also keep a video log of oil changes and type of oil, just in case.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
On my Jeeps for the 1st 60K miles I have the dealership change the oil every 6K miles to avoid the exact excuse that they gave you. That said, my oil is black at 3K miles so I change it at home (with a Mopar filter) every 3K miles between the dealership 6K mile oil changes (but don't tell them I said that).
Sponsored