millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, assembled today. The paw adjustment and brake function is pretty arcane. I haven’t done this yet but what happens when you screw and unscrew the set pins that hold the wire too many times? You wear out the stranded cable and are up a creek. Also, it kinda makes me nervous that all that’s holding up the top is that one geared piece. I’m sure it’s strong enough but it doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies.

I’m done messing with it tonight I’ll try again tomorrow. Other than that it’s a high quality product, albeit pricey.
Yep, took me 3 tries to get the wire where it was right. Seems to be ok. Will be taking the top off today.

Thought the same thing with only the one gear holding it up. Maybe there should be 2, one on each side. Then thought maybe I am over-engineering it. Everyone is happy with theirs so far .
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@millerjl

The adjustment of the brake has always been lets say the talk in regard to the assembly of the TopLift Pro. It takes some playing with to get it, lets say, just right.

At Jeep Beach 2018 in Daytona Beach, when I spoke with the Ken, the lift's inventor and his brother in law, Barry, they both mentioned that the brake adjustment was a little, lets call it time consuming to get right, but in short order you would come up with the adjustment.. So, just work at the adjustment til you get it right... til it seems right to you.

By the way, not that it really matters but ....both Ken and Barry are regular guys.... very personable, talkative, sense of humor and well, aok guys to say the least. Typical Floridian's ... ;) Also, Ken is adamant about all the parts that make up the lift are top notch in regard to quality, fit and finish.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Got the brake adjusted enough to use today so off came the top.

What I’ve noticed. With the top on the lift it is front biased from a balance standpoint. I have a JLUR. There’s really no placement adjustment front to back when placing the lift up under the hard top. It’s an exact placement so much so that one of the plastic hole covers was slightly pinched by a raised portion of the hardtop and it flew off when I started lifting the top. My hard top has the headliner panels installed so not sure if that makes a difference. Also my lift has a tilt to the left when looking at it from the rear. It’s tilted maybe 2 inches but is taken up to maybe and inch upon fully lifting the top. I have read where others have said theirs had a slight tilt as well. Also this was in my garage so it’s flat and level.

With the rear hardtop window open it is less tippy but I would not trust it. With the rear hardtop window closed it is very very very front tippy. I can basically touch it with a finger and it’ll slowly start to roll forward. It is literally on the verge of falling off to the front. I had to grow a third arm to scramble to get the 2 “optional” support arms configured then installed and adjusted to get the hardtop fully supported. With the 2 support arms it’s very stable and I’m confident enough to park the JLUR underneath it.

Having to have the support extensions is pretty inconvenient and increases the pucker factor a bit. You have to deal with getting the top up and pulled back then use one hand to hold the top on the lift another hand to pull the extension bar catch (knob) then that third hand to insert the extension bar itself and lock it in.

All in all I don’t regret getting it. I would say I do regret paying a grand for it though.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't get a chance to use mine yet. I assumed you would have the support extensions on when you remove the top.... can anyone confirm that for me.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Didn't get a chance to use mine yet. I assumed you would have the support extensions on when you remove the top.... can anyone confirm that for me.
Not possible as the horizontal rear rollcage bar is in the way. I believe the front one would be in the way as well. The support extensions for the lift are lower than the lift platform that holds the hardtop.

Let me know if you run into the same observations that I did when you use yours for the first time.

Someone posted a reply to the thread then I guess deleted it afterwards. They said I didn’t have the lift pushed in far enough as the lift platform should contact the horizontal raised portion of the hardtop. This is not true. The lift only goes in so far as it only has an inch or so before it hits the rear bumber. With it pushed all the way in it is almost exactly positioned under the hard top inside the rear most section of the hardtop. It is a very tight and exact fit. There’s almost no room front to back between the lift platform and that rear most section of the hardtop.

Sponsored

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Racor PHL-1R and also Topsy's metal CAMs. Do I need them? I don't see any plastic CAMs in the parts kit. Please advise, I am at the point of installation where I either install them *don't know* or just lift the assembly up to the the ceiling. The Racor PHL-1R looks sturdy as is.

Thanks!

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
I have the Racor PHL-1R and also Topsy's metal CAMs. Do I need them? I don't see any plastic CAMs in the parts kit. Please advise, I am at the point of installation where I either install them *don't know* or just lift the assembly up to the the ceiling. The Racor PHL-1R looks sturdy as is.

Thanks!
You have a TopliftPro lift?

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
ooppss. wrong thread ..sorry.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Anyone check out the freedom jack? It's similar to the Top lift but a lot less

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Anyone check out the freedom jack? It's similar to the Top lift but a lot less
@LLRubylady

"Similar" .... you got to be joking..

It's laughable at best as far as I'm concerned.

Not even sure why you post this in a thread pertaining to the TopLift Pro....

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
@LLRubylady

"Similar" .... you got to be joking..

It's laughable at best as far as I'm concerned.

Not even sure why you post this in a thread pertaining to the TopLift Pro....
Similar in function but I admit not the same league as the toplift. but a less expensive option to those that are researching the toplift like myself.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, took me 3 tries to get the wire where it was right. Seems to be ok. Will be taking the top off today.

Thought the same thing with only the one gear holding it up. Maybe there should be 2, one on each side. Then thought maybe I am over-engineering it. Everyone is happy with theirs so far .
Just 3 tries, huh...I'm jealous ;)... It's comforting to know I wasn't the one who struggled with the brake adjustment. After a few paint chips on the gear and frustration beers I finally figured it out, gave it a test-drive, and it worked like a charm. I had the same concerns as @Wrangles regarding the set pins pressing against the cable. In all, I'm very satisfied with it.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Got the brake adjusted enough to use today so off came the top.

What I’ve noticed. With the top on the lift it is front biased from a balance standpoint. I have a JLUR. There’s really no placement adjustment front to back when placing the lift up under the hard top. It’s an exact placement so much so that one of the plastic hole covers was slightly pinched by a raised portion of the hardtop and it flew off when I started lifting the top. My hard top has the headliner panels installed so not sure if that makes a difference. Also my lift has a tilt to the left when looking at it from the rear. It’s tilted maybe 2 inches but is taken up to maybe and inch upon fully lifting the top. I have read where others have said theirs had a slight tilt as well. Also this was in my garage so it’s flat and level.

With the rear hardtop window open it is less tippy but I would not trust it. With the rear hardtop window closed it is very very very front tippy. I can basically touch it with a finger and it’ll slowly start to roll forward. It is literally on the verge of falling off to the front. I had to grow a third arm to scramble to get the 2 “optional” support arms configured then installed and adjusted to get the hardtop fully supported. With the 2 support arms it’s very stable and I’m confident enough to park the JLUR underneath it.

Having to have the support extensions is pretty inconvenient and increases the pucker factor a bit. You have to deal with getting the top up and pulled back then use one hand to hold the top on the lift another hand to pull the extension bar catch (knob) then that third hand to insert the extension bar itself and lock it in.

All in all I don’t regret getting it. I would say I do regret paying a grand for it though.
Took mine off yesterday and absolutely agree. Anyone else with a JLU think it is very unbalanced toward the front? I really thought it was going to fall off, scared me to death.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I’m honestly not worried about it falling off.
Sponsored