Sponsored

Anyone have a fix for USB CarPlay disconnecting?

KWyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 2-door
One full day using an Apple USB C to lightning from the dash with 0 drops from an iPhone 12 Pro. šŸ¤ž

BONUS: I have also noticed the sound quality is improved when using a USB C connection over either of the two USB A connections.

I ordered both a USB C and a USB A Anker Powerline II prior to finding my original Apple cord. I have had good results with Anker cords and this same issue when connecting to a motorcycle radio.
Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
One full day using an Apple USB C to lightning from the dash with 0 drops from an iPhone 12 Pro. šŸ¤ž

BONUS: I have also noticed the sound quality is improved when using a USB C connection over either of the two USB A connections.

I ordered both a USB C and a USB A Anker Powerline II prior to finding my original Apple cord. I have had good results with Anker cords and this same issue when connecting to a motorcycle radio.
I've never had a single connectivity issue going into the dash. It's always worked fine. It's going into the armrest that's the issue. I'm a bit OCD about cords being visible so it's a pain point for me. But if I'm going somewhere that requires navigation I just plug into the dash to keep it rock solid.

GreenHat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I just purchased a used ā€˜21 Rubicon 4xe. Iā€˜ve always used a CPlay2Air in my Ram with no issues. I put the CP2A in the center console and had the exact problems you all are talking about. Screen would freeze or it would disconnect/reconnect at random. Did the same thing wired. I plugged it into the dash USB port and no issues at all.

I assume we still have no answer? Iā€™m taking it into a Jeep dealer tomorrow for a couple recalls that havenā€™t been addressed yet, I was thinking of asking them about it.

@JeepCares any updated?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just purchased a used ā€˜21 Rubicon 4xe. Iā€˜ve always used a CPlay2Air in my Ram with no issues. I put the CP2A in the center console and had the exact problems you all are talking about. Screen would freeze or it would disconnect/reconnect at random. Did the same thing wired. I plugged it into the dash USB port and no issues at all.

I assume we still have no answer? Iā€™m taking it into a Jeep dealer tomorrow for a couple recalls that havenā€™t been addressed yet, I was thinking of asking them about it.

@JeepCares any updated?
Thanks for the tag, GreenHat

At this time, we've received no new updates.

Steph
Jeep Cares

Cranjis McBasketball

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara Altitude
Thanks for the tag, GreenHat

At this time, we've received no new updates.

Steph
Jeep Cares
Steph,

Can you tell us what's going on behind the scenes? Does Jeep acknowledge that this is a known issue? A simple Google search for "Wrangler center console USB CarPlay" yields many threads of various vintages similar to this one. Is anyone working on a fix? With the introduction of UC5 in the 2024's, does Jeep have any interest in addressing this issue? I've taken my '23 to the dealership three times for this already and of course they did absolutely nothing. I know it's a total overreaction, but I opened a case for Jeep to repurchase my '23 today because I paid for this functionality that doesn't work and both Jeep and the dealer that I've been going to have refused to do anything. I don't want to sell it back, and I don't anticipate that Jeep will buy it back, but it was all I could think of doing from an escalation standpoint to have your engineers address this issue, which I'm assuming they ultimately won't if they haven't done so already. What do we, as consumers, need to do to have Jeep address this issue? I know you're not the one that is going to address this, but an update or an acknowledgment that something's not right would go a long way to showing that you actually care about your customers. The manual in my '23 states that the center console USB is supported for CarPlay, so it would be really great if you actually supported that.

It's a safety issue and you need to find a fix and do a recall to implement. My $0.02...

Sponsored

gfmoose

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi Cranjis, I take it you didnā€™t get a response from JeepCares?

2 months owning my new 2023 JL and noticed this issue.
I have an iPhone12 Pro and came from a 2019 RangeRover where the centre console (armrest) connection worked great and gave Apple CarPlay.
Iā€™ve now gone to a newer car with the Jeep and it drops out after a few minutes (?!).
Phone connected with Apple cable to the USB -A port on the centre console.

Today I read this thread and moved the cable to the ā€œMediaā€ port in the dash (under the UConnect screen and air con controls). 5 hours of driving and seems stable.
I acceptā€¦ yes this port says ā€œmediaā€ so does make sense to plug in to. And there is a nice little phone size tray under the port to tuck your phone in to. Butā€¦ like many I hate to now see that port flap sticking up and cables running round my gear stick.
The centre console port option is just way better looking and even has pretty little cut outs to let your cable come through. So why doesnā€™t it work.???!

Iā€™ve considered the various Bluetooth carplay connectors, but Iā€™m guessing they need to go in to the same dash port to be stable anyway? And are roughly the same size as my phone, so no real benefit there, plus I guess I lose charging while plugged in.

I havenā€™t tried the USB-A to USB-C adapter trick mentioned on the other thread. May give that a go. But I suspect like others this is a power issue on the armrest wiring loom, so not convinced on that option. Currently I think my best option is to pick up a USB-C short cable to connect neatly to the phone and put in the tray under the Media port. Even if it means that port flap is stuck open.
Humphā€¦

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
Itā€™s in every single JL I have owned four new JLā€™s and it has been a problem in all of them. It will not be fixed unfortunately.

Cranjis McBasketball

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara Altitude
Hi Cranjis, I take it you didnā€™t get a response from JeepCares?

2 months owning my new 2023 JL and noticed this issue.
I have an iPhone12 Pro and came from a 2019 RangeRover where the centre console (armrest) connection worked great and gave Apple CarPlay.
Iā€™ve now gone to a newer car with the Jeep and it drops out after a few minutes (?!).
Phone connected with Apple cable to the USB -A port on the centre console.

Today I read this thread and moved the cable to the ā€œMediaā€ port in the dash (under the UConnect screen and air con controls). 5 hours of driving and seems stable.
I acceptā€¦ yes this port says ā€œmediaā€ so does make sense to plug in to. And there is a nice little phone size tray under the port to tuck your phone in to. Butā€¦ like many I hate to now see that port flap sticking up and cables running round my gear stick.
The centre console port option is just way better looking and even has pretty little cut outs to let your cable come through. So why doesnā€™t it work.???!

Iā€™ve considered the various Bluetooth carplay connectors, but Iā€™m guessing they need to go in to the same dash port to be stable anyway? And are roughly the same size as my phone, so no real benefit there, plus I guess I lose charging while plugged in.

I havenā€™t tried the USB-A to USB-C adapter trick mentioned on the other thread. May give that a go. But I suspect like others this is a power issue on the armrest wiring loom, so not convinced on that option. Currently I think my best option is to pick up a USB-C short cable to connect neatly to the phone and put in the tray under the Media port. Even if it means that port flap is stuck open.
Humphā€¦
I got a "non-response" back in June.

"Unfortunately, our team has not received any further updates from the internal team at this time. However, we will be certain to announce any details for the rest of the forums once it is shared with our team."

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 392, 21 BMW M2 competition, 11 Subaru STi
Steph,

Can you tell us what's going on behind the scenes? Does Jeep acknowledge that this is a known issue? A simple Google search for "Wrangler center console USB CarPlay" yields many threads of various vintages similar to this one. Is anyone working on a fix? With the introduction of UC5 in the 2024's, does Jeep have any interest in addressing this issue? I've taken my '23 to the dealership three times for this already and of course they did absolutely nothing. I know it's a total overreaction, but I opened a case for Jeep to repurchase my '23 today because I paid for this functionality that doesn't work and both Jeep and the dealer that I've been going to have refused to do anything. I don't want to sell it back, and I don't anticipate that Jeep will buy it back, but it was all I could think of doing from an escalation standpoint to have your engineers address this issue, which I'm assuming they ultimately won't if they haven't done so already. What do we, as consumers, need to do to have Jeep address this issue? I know you're not the one that is going to address this, but an update or an acknowledgment that something's not right would go a long way to showing that you actually care about your customers. The manual in my '23 states that the center console USB is supported for CarPlay, so it would be really great if you actually supported that.

It's a safety issue and you need to find a fix and do a recall to implement. My $0.02...
I have a '22 Gladiator, my partner has a '22 Wrangler, and I have cousins that have a '19 Wrangler and '20 Wrangler.
For the 4 of us all carplay is through the USB port on the dashboard above the aux buttons; both the USB-A and USB-C work.
None of us have the center console usb-a port work for this, at least consistently. Mine and my partner's have never worked. I don't think that center console one is the same as the dash one; must be a lower voltage or something like usb 2.0 vs 3.0/3.1.

Any comments are great, but don't expect your center console port to start working for carplay - based on my survey you'll be using the dashboard ports. And replacing it with another pre-2024 one is going to yield the same results.

Cranjis McBasketball

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara Altitude
I don't want to jinx myself here, but I just got an iPhone 15 Pro Max, and have driven for several hours without a disconnect from the center console USB. I tried it with an aftermarket cable and it disconnected pretty quickly, but when I use the cable that came with the phone and a USB-C to USB-A adapter, I haven't had any issues with disconnecting. There have been several issues with the initial connection where I need to unplug and replug my phone but once it's connected, it seems to work as it should. Fingers crossed...

Sponsored

Cranjis McBasketball

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara Altitude
Jinxed myself. Still totally unreliable with the iPhone 15. Had a few good days then back to normal. I was hoping the USB-C would change things somehow but apparently not. SMH.

XJConvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUW; 23 DR650; 89 TW200
Reviving here to note that my 2024 has the same issue -> frequent disconnects using the console port, stable using the dash port. Tried 2 phones (mine and wife's) and 2 different cables, all combinations work in the dash, all combinations spotty in the console.

myexcursion

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Rub X 4xe, 17 E Class, 07 XK Conv, 05 Jeep GC
Reviving here to note that my 2024 has the same issue -> frequent disconnects using the console port, stable using the dash port. Tried 2 phones (mine and wife's) and 2 different cables, all combinations work in the dash, all combinations spotty in the console.
same here ... 2024 RubX Carplay plugged via USB ( multiple OEM apple cable USB A & C ) iphone15 Carplay flashes off after few minutes every single day. Plug it into dash and never an issue in 2+ months. Wish the center would work bc it's cleaner look to charge. Otherwise using wireless carplay now most of time and only dash for charging.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I had a similar issue and then one it vanished. Oneof our fellow participants here. Said to do 2 things. Check your fuses. Push them all down hard And then. Do a reboot on the sytem by pushing in the on off button for at least 15 seconds. Worked for me i think my pist was under ā€œcarplay. Vanishedā€. Good luck
Sponsored