Sponsored

Anyone have a chance to use the 7" and 8.4" Uconnect

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I am considering purchasing JLU Rubicon when the full color choices become available. I am trying to determine the last few upgrades. Has anyone had any experience with the 7" and 8.4" Uconnect? I am leaning towards the 7" as I will be using Android Auto for Navigation and would prefer the extra room instead of the subwoofer. Does the 8.4" screen offer anything more that I am missing? Is it a better quality screen?
Thanks
Joe
Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I am considering purchasing JLU Rubicon when the full color choices become available. I am trying to determine the last few upgrades. Has anyone had any experience with the 7" and 8.4" Uconnect? I am leaning towards the 7" as I will be using Android Auto for Navigation and would prefer the extra room instead of the subwoofer. Does the 8.4" screen offer anything more that I am missing? Is it a better quality screen?
Thanks
Joe
The 8.4 is an awesome screen, I optioned into it.... with that said, the upgraded stereo was really important to me, so it made upgrading a no brainer, I will not use the nav, I’ll use my phone.... so in your instance you should be just fine with 7, I can’t speak for the resolution but I’m sure you wont be missing a whole lot.... I do love that big 8.4 though.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I played with the 8.4 at the LA auto show, it has nav and though it sounds big it really isn't. In fact I though it was the 7 inch with nav so i posted apic on site here and someoned id it as the 8.4 It really is nice.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
8.4 is really good. I played with one at dealer the other day, and wife has very similar one in her GC.

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
im sticking to the 7 inch...more than enough....my phone is 6 inches and its enough screen for navigation. Most iPhones were 5.5 inches which people used without a problem....so 7 inches is big enough for me as I will be using Android Auto and Apple on the screen.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
My thoughts are more about how much you can see on th screen. When you have any scale on the screen the 8.4 shows more ground sometimes when I am off in the boonies I want to see more area

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
The 8.4 comes with built in NAV.

That's about it, besides obviously being a little larger.

You are using AA anyway, so unless you want a bigger screen - it isn't any better.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
Thanks
Joe
Better to get the 8.4 than not get it and wish you did. Plus the Alpine system will be nice.

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
The 8.4 is an awesome screen, I optioned into it.... with that said, the upgraded stereo was really important to me, so it made upgrading a no brainer, I will not use the nav, I’ll use my phone.... so in your instance you should be just fine with 7, I can’t speak for the resolution but I’m sure you wont be missing a whole lot.... I do love that big 8.4 though.
Thanks for all the feedback. I am looking at the Ocean Blue so I am guessing I will have a chance to take a look at a couple before I can even order anyways. I am coming from a 2.5" screen in my Highlander and no screens at all in my old Jeep's I owned (CJ, YJ, TJ, JK) so I have a feeling that any screen will be good. I'm also interested in how much space the sub actually takes up. I would prefer the extra space over tunes, I do not rock out like I use to.

#SquadGoals

First Name
Brittney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara
Can anyone confirm where the sub goes in the Alpine system? I was under the impression that it was in the side wall now?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone confirm where the sub goes in the Alpine system? I was under the impression that it was in the side wall now?
It is in the sidewall passenger side now.

#SquadGoals

First Name
Brittney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara
OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ok great, so then it doesn't take up any extra storage space like @Jrbrannan was mentioning?
It doesn't take up too much space but it does take up some space. So it will reduce your packing space if you decide to add the sub.

#SquadGoals

First Name
Brittney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara
It doesn't take up too much space but it does take up some space. So it will reduce your packing space if you decide to add the sub.
ok thanks. I keep going back and forth between infotainment vs standard 7" in my white sahara. So the details matter. I'm not worried about the sound because I pulled my upgraded speakers out of my JKU to put in my JLU. I'm trying to decide if i need the dimming rear view, all the sirus perks, etc. $1295 isnt bad since it comes with the Alpine, but at the end of the day its still more money...

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ok thanks. I keep going back and forth between infotainment vs standard 7" in my white sahara. So the details matter. I'm not worried about the sound because I pulled my upgraded speakers out of my JKU to put in my JLU. I'm trying to decide if i need the dimming rear view, all the sirus perks, etc. $1295 isnt bad since it comes with the Alpine, but at the end of the day its still more money...
I decided against upgrading mainly because I didn't want to be on the hook for all the extra sirus perks. They all cost after the 12 months are up. Just something to consider.
Sponsored