SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I've had 2 JKUs, a JK and now the JL.

The 4-doors were fine when the kids were still in school and holidays meant 4 people in the Jeep with luggage.

Off road the 4-door's break over angle (Or lack of it) was frustrating.

The kids left the house, I moved to the 2-door versions and will never turn back. It is better around town, not so large to park and more nimble in traffic. Packing space a plenty for two people. Off road the 2-door break over angle is a pleasure, also easier to navigate on tight and narrow trails.

both are great vehicles, it just depends what you will use it for and how many passengers you need to accommodate for, when using the Jeep.

Last edited:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I presently have a 2014 JKUR, and sometimes think it's just too big for my needs. I really want a 2 door JL, but worry that it'll be too small. I have no need for the back seat, and although I can't find pictures with the back seat removed, I know it's possible. Anyone have experience with this dilemma? Pictures with the back seat removed?
I think the 2 doors are more fun and with the more powerful motors just that much more fun. Plus they look more jeepish, better looking with the doors off, top down, not to mention more maneuverable.

But with my previous 2 door with 3 people everything was a chore to get stuff in there. Usually you want a cooler, and some chairs and it was a PITA so I ended up with the 4 door and it works GREAT for us. While not as cool looking with doors off top down, and not as maneuverable, climbing obstacles is much easier and the ride is better too.

I honestly wish I could have both. I miss my 2 door.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I've had 2 JKUs, a JK and not the JL.

The 4-doors were fine when the kids were still in school and holidays meant 4 people in the Jeep with luggage.

The kids left the house, I moved to the 2-door versions and will never turn back. It is better around town, not so large to park and more nimble in traffic. Packing space a plenty for two people. Off road the 2-door break over angle is a pleasure, also easier to navigate on tight and narrow trails.

both are great vehicles, it just depends what you will use it for and how many passenger you need to accommodate for when using the Jeep.
your right, I forgot about break over. the 4 door sucks in that department. You really need 40s to achieve what a 2 door can get away with on 35s

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
...and I can turn the unit around on a dime.
I couldn't get over the 4-doors on the trail. I first saw them when the JK came out (obviously) and owners were bitching about buggering up their colored hard tops or front/rear fenders on the trail.
I was thinking - no shit....you just tried to cram a minivan sized jeep through the trail....what did you expect?

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
There are times I wish I had more storage space, but that feeling never lasts.

Round headlights and 2 doors just looks right to me. I have a Renegade with 4 doors if I need to go that route.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
I've had 2 JKUs, a JK and not the JL.

both are great vehicles, it just depends what you will use it for and how many passenger you need to accommodate for when using the Jeep.
Same here. I’ve had 2-door TJ’s for years. Then I’ve driven a 4-door ever since the JK came out in 2007.
My kids are off to college now and so I went back to a 2-door. Best decision ever! Driving a 2-door feels like driving a Jeep again. Short turning radius, crappy steering. I ditched the back seat since day one so there’s plenty of room. I’ll never go back to a 4-door.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Best decision ever! Driving a 2-door feels like driving a Jeep again. Short turning radius, crappy steering. I ditched the back seat since day one so there’s plenty of room. I’ll never go back to a 4-door.
Did you get the new cast-iron steering box and longer LCAs to get caster to 6? If not I'd say do it ASAP, my 2dr has great steering at all speeds (for a live front axle that is) :)

Only 2dr regret is having 4 less gallons of fuel than the 4drs, but that's a tradeoff I'll take 24/7 365 out of 365!

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I was thinking - no shit....you just tried to cram a minivan sized jeep through the trail....what did you expect?
Right? I think Jeep is still trying to come to terms with exposing themselves to that segment of the market...

I have to admit, I still cringe when I'm down some brush covered goat path and I hear that tell-tale skreeeeeeeee! down the side of the tinwork. But at the end of the day, I've been somewhere awesome I couldn't go before, and I've got the photos and paint scratches to remember it by.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Only 2dr regret is having 4 less gallons of fuel than the 4drs, but that's a tradeoff I'll take 24/7 365 out of 365!
And even then that's not much of a regret when you consider the improvements in mileage of the new Jeeps... When I fill up and see "Range: 345 miles" on the instrument cluster, I just smile and think, "Try that in the old CJ."

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
And even then that's not much of a regret when you consider the improvements in mileage of the new Jeeps... When I fill up and see "Range: 345 miles" on the instrument cluster, I just smile and think, "Try that in the old CJ."
I know, in my CJ5 my gas gauge was guess at best, so I just filled it up anytime I was near a station, lol. And I had a beefed up AMC 401 V8 from a Cherokee, so mpg wasn't a priority :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2 door regret? IMG_0312.JPG

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Went on a five day camping trip with two JKUs. Granted, they were carrying more weight (passengers and gear), but their fuel consumption eclipsed their 4 gallon tank advantage.
Sponsored