Sponsored

Anyone have 2 door regret?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Again, you just gotta do you and not worry about the internet or what others think. If you know a 2dr isn't practical for what you need but you force yourself into one because the cool kids on forums like this one will totally consider you a real jeeper, yo, well... you're gonna be one unhappy camper (well, like a previous post said, you might not be camping with a 2dr, actually - make sure to get a little trailer to carry your stuff lol)

Jokes aside, it's a dang car at the end of the day. Don't force yourself into something because you're trying to fit a certain image. I would even say don't get a jeep at all if you don't plan on offroading at least every now and then. It's a terrible daily driver/family mover, even the JL, when it comes to long-trip comfort, gas mileage, reliability, price, etc. (My opinion, of course, as an owner.)

The way I see it, a jeep pays for itself when you use it in the cool ways that make it so different. That includes, off roading, top down, doors off, tinkering, etc. If you're not gonna do any of that stuff, I honestly don't get why some people buy them.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
*in my best Dean winters voice* I'm a 30yo bachelor whose alone most of the time and doesn't have to worry about needing room for others, so why would I need 4 doors?

Besides, driving up and down the highway and turnpike during the summer, I see plenty of topless 2drs with 4 people, so I know I'll be fine if I ever have to drive a group

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Getting a 2-door (2016 Willys) was a mistake for me. We're in Colorado and have ample opportunities to overnight in the mountains. But with a 2-door and a family of 3 it's not doable. That said, my 2-door was an introduction into Jeeps and I'm grateful for that.

I've got a 2020 JLUR on order and can't wait.
This is my first Jeep. I went to the dealership intending to get a 2dr b/c that is a “Jeep” imo. Family of 4, but wife has a large SUV. We almost never take mine. I loved the 2dr. But I knew I needed the space. I went with a JLU sport S 6spd and love it. No regrets at all. Still love the 2dr...maybe I’ll get one after kids are grown up? But for now, and for my first Jeep, I love the 4 dr, the extra space for gear, and the ride. The 4dr was the right choice for me.
Nothing wrong w/ the 4 door, it's still a Jeep and if you need it, you need it :)

But the 2door is more fun :)

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
84fbe2e4-8ad1-4a92-81e5-0c44b5a73795.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

This is an ad for a liner, but it shows the back of a 2 door with the rear seat removed. Basically, it wont replace a pickup or big suv, but holds a fair amount. If you ever expect to use the back seat, probably get the U..Houdini couldnt get into the back seat of a 2 door.

Sponsored

Riderkjo

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 16 Crosstrek
Vehicle Showcase
From a different perspective, the JL has basically no tow rating and most after market stuff is geared towards the JLU. But in the other hand, the JL is way cooler. But on the other other hand, you can only fit 3 strippers in a JL and 4 in a JLU. So there’s that to consider.
My rear seat has its own spot in my garage, under a sheet. Of course our friends love to ride with us when the top and doors are off, so I lay down 3 or 4 in the back and tell them to keep their heads down. It's all in how you stack 'em
I wanted a 4 door for the extra room and towing capacity but I couldn't bring myself to pay over $30k for a vehicle. I'm kicking myself now because I found out right after the ink dried that we're expecting, so that means a PITA to get baby in and out and no room for strollers/diaper bags/kitchen sink/all the other stuff 1st time parents take to the park. There's also a chance that I'll have to hand it down...

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
There's plenty of space. Cars keep getting bigger and bigger, the 2-D Wrangler isn't really that small, it is just that cars are massive now. If you can take the backseat off you are 100% fine. I've taken 4 people (including me) camping with my 2 door, and that is a big challenge, but doable. A good size hitch carrier and a few light stuff on top and you're golden. Good camping equipment that fits well, I like REI camping tents and such, everything fits tight. Tents and mattresses fit in the little space between 2 door seat and back as well as 1 or 2 folding chairs. Cooler goes on the hitch with cooking stuff and miscellaneous, whatever is left goes on the top.

You might also spend $1,000 on a nice roof rack like the maximus and then you don't have to worry so much about carrying camping stuff.

I would say, if you have 1 kid you're alright, 2 kids you're definitely pushing it consider getting a 4 door.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

My only regret is I could only afford one

Sponsored

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I am happy with the 2 door. Perfect for parking in town and when I go to the city.
I did get the Wrangler as a 2nd vehicle, so did not need all of the bells and whistles.
My wife has a Lexus RX350 that she drives much of the time.

For getting people in the back seat, I installed the side steps and the grab handles.
I fold the rear seat up and toss in my dog's bed, when I need to take my GSD anywhere.

Islandweld

First Name
JHS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2 door JL, 2.0
2019 Rubicon, had 8, 2 door over my 50 year Jeep owning span.
The original Jeep.
My 1st was a WWII. Toughest was “77-78 Levi V8” now my last is plush with the turbo 4 that (I was unaware of when I bought it), but power and gas mileage are working great for me.
4 door for the family, 2 door for old bachelors like me.
Still get excited driving it especially with all the fun gadgets (till they screw up)
Would not kick a bull in the butt for the auto stop mess though!

DonBucket

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door
this is my first 2 dr. thoughts so far is that I like it. I fold the seat down and there is a lot of room. even more if I take the back seat out. its not a big deal for me to open the back and get or put stuff in. time will tell.
I need the back seat in my 2 door for when the kids are with me... But I could use the extra space with it folded up when they are not... Which is 90% of the time. Sooooooo... Maybe I am missing something simple.. but is there a way to lock the back seat in the folded up position? It just flaps around on the hinge if there is not enough cargo to hold it up against the front seats.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
I need the back seat in my 2 door for when the kids are with me... But I could use the extra space with it folded up when they are not... Which is 90% of the time. Sooooooo... Maybe I am missing something simple.. but is there a way to lock the back seat in the folded up position? It just flaps around on the hinge if there is not enough cargo to hold it up against the front seats.
Yes, there is. There are two straps on the back of the rear seat with velcro ends. There are also 2 footman like loops on both b pillars. route the straps through the loops and secure with the velcro. Good to go.

DonBucket

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door
Yes, there is. There are two straps on the back of the rear seat with velcro ends. There are also 2 footman like loops on both b pillars. route the straps through the loops and secure with the velcro. Good to go.
Thanks... I remember seeing those there,... but didn't put it together... YIKES... Hahaha..
Sponsored