Sponsored

Anyone have 2 door regret?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2 door JK for a few years and loved it. I removed the back seat and had a big comforter back there for the lab. Even though he passed away almost a year ago, after a couple bundles of wood, a cooler and 2 packs the whole back seat was completely full. I was hell bent on a 2 door JL Rubicon but thought it out and went with the JLU.
Sponsored

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
I presently have a 2014 JKUR, and sometimes think it's just too big for my needs. I really want a 2 door JL, but worry that it'll be too small. I have no need for the back seat, and although I can't find pictures with the back seat removed, I know it's possible. Anyone have experience with this dilemma? Pictures with the back seat removed?
I had a ā€˜15 JKU Sahara and traded it in for a ā€˜17 JK Rubicon Recon because I thought a two door Jeep would be plenty for my needs. Daily driver to and from work, groceries on the weekend, etc. all while being a bad ass off road option. However, I quickly grew tired of it. With the back seat in place, I could hardly fit four paper bags of groceries in there. And with news my wife was expecting weeks after the trade in, I knew it was one of the worst decisions Iā€™ve made. Traded it in for a JLU Sahara a couple months back. Much, much happier with the four door.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler Rubicon manual trans
I take my dog everywhere I took rear seat out put in storage day one I've never known what it's like to have a back seat.
Bought ruggid ridge floor mat rear seat delete and thru his dog bed on top

I presently have a 2014 JKUR, and sometimes think it's just too big for my needs. I really want a 2 door JL, but worry that it'll be too small. I have no need for the back seat, and although I can't find pictures with the back seat removed, I know it's possible. Anyone have experience with this dilemma? Pictures with the back seat removed?
20190926_212259.jpg

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have no regrets in getting a 2 dr, because i'm the only one driving it 95% of the time. i've taking it on a couple of long trips and i'm very happy with the way it handles on highways, etc. i even sat in the backseat a couple of times and i was comfortable. (that when my brother was driving it and mother riding in the front seat. i dont mind pulling the seat forward to access the back and the back cargo area it plenty for me. i looked into the 4 dr jl and just didnt need all the extra space. the 2 dr is just the right size and quick and easy to handle on the streets and trails.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
All my wife, pup, and I need, sometimes Jasper even lets me drive :)

j-driving-jpg.jpg

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
From a different perspective, the JL has basically no tow rating and most after market stuff is geared towards the JLU. But in the other hand, the JL is way cooler. But on the other other hand, you can only fit 3 strippers in a JL and 4 in a JLU. So thereā€™s that to consider.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
After having my JLR for 10 months, I love having a 2 door. I love the short, compact wheelbase. I love the proportions of the Jeep. But for me, it is a 2nd vehicle. In no way would I recommend it for someone with kids, or even with one medium sized dog. When I go grocery shopping, I can fit about 4 bags of groceries in the trunk, which realistically, is more than enough for a weekly trip for me (unless I have the windows in the storage bag in the trunk, and then, it is less). I have thought about pulling the rear seat out, but haven't needed to yet. I know some people gripe about 2 door storage, but then you could complain about 4 door storage vs a Gladiator, and or a Gladiator vs a Rebel, etc. The 2 door tow rating is lower than a 4 door, and again, the 4 door tow rating is lower than the Gladiator. To be honest, I didn't consider tow rating that much, until I started recently looking at overland trailers. The extra tow rating a JLU provides can make a big difference if someone needs it (but a JT can still tow more). Four door aftermarket seems stronger than 2 door, which may matter to some.

If something were to happen to my 2 door, I would still replace it with another 2 door (again, no kids or dogs). I would also probably consider a JT over a JLU, for my needs. The bigger compromise for me is having a soft top than the 2 doors, but I like having the option to put the top up or down, depending on the weather/sun in my area (safari top is great). Also, I wouldn't trust leaving a work laptop in a soft top (not that it shouldn't be hidden from view anyway).

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
ads75 good reply!
Having that nimbleness & performance w/ the 2dr is what I appreciate the most, turns almost literally on a dime and I'm just used to the short wheelbase look after all these years, 4drs are something we'd rarely use.

I see why they are crazy popular though, cool 4 doors aren't really a thing, but w/ Jeep you can have that, and w/ kids or hauling extra stuff on a regular basis a 2 dr would become a chore.

Only thing that sucks w/ the 2 door is the puny 17 gallon tank, we get better mpg but not 4+ gallons better :(

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Have owned a TJ, JK, and now a JLR. The JLR is huge compared to the TJ. I love the fact that I can park it anywhere because of the shorter length and turning radius. I can park it in the garage and still have a ton of storage space in the garage behind the JL. Like blnewt said the only thing the 4-door has over the 2-door for my situation is the larger gas tank capacity. Other then that I love the 2-door. I have absolutely ZERO regrets and would buy another 2-door when the time comes to replace the one I own now.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Only thing that sucks w/ the 2 door is the puny 17 gallon tank, we get better mpg but not 4+ gallons better :(
Like blnewt said the only thing the 4-door has over the 2-door for my situation is the larger gas tank capacity. Other then that I love the 2-door. I have absolutely ZERO regrets and would buy another 2-door when the time comes to replace the one I own now.
I did the tailgate spare delete and added 2-2.5 RotoPax fuel cells...
JL rear.jpg

addendum update : I deleted the back seat. The spare tire is strapped to the cargo floor. 3 sided plywood box with 2 shelfs holds all I need for short camping trips on 2/3 day trail rides. No regretes buying a 2 dr.
JL cargo.jpg
JL rear.jpg

Last edited:

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Getting a 2-door (2016 Willys) was a mistake for me. We're in Colorado and have ample opportunities to overnight in the mountains. But with a 2-door and a family of 3 it's not doable. That said, my 2-door was an introduction into Jeeps and I'm grateful for that.

I've got a 2020 JLUR on order and can't wait.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
This is my first Jeep. I went to the dealership intending to get a 2dr b/c that is a ā€œJeepā€ imo. Family of 4, but wife has a large SUV. We almost never take mine. I loved the 2dr. But I knew I needed the space. I went with a JLU sport S 6spd and love it. No regrets at all. Still love the 2dr...maybe Iā€™ll get one after kids are grown up? But for now, and for my first Jeep, I love the 4 dr, the extra space for gear, and the ride. The 4dr was the right choice for me.
Sponsored