Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

rutiger

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon, others
i have the 2.0t and my wife has the 3.6. both '19 rubicons. after driving each for a few months i prefer my 2.0t. power feels better, feels smoother overall, and of course mpg is a little better. just did a 1,000 mile trip with a lot of hwy miles and also maybe 50 miles of forest roads. avg was 21 mpg. running 35's.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Schipperke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback ; Ford F150
Reading the 2020 will offer a 2.0 Turbo without the EcoTorque. Lot less to go wrong or catch on fire. It will have the stop/start feature though.

rogo66

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Reading the 2020 will offer a 2.0 Turbo without the EcoTorque. Lot less to go wrong or catch on fire. It will have the stop/start feature though.
I wouldn't give back my EcoTorque if they asked for it, and I don't worry about things that may or may not happen.

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I wouldn't give back my EcoTorque if they asked for it, and I don't worry about things that may or may not happen.
Not everyone is a city slicker. Offroaders who go way off the beaten path need to be concerned with such liabilities.

desant89

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
-1 for the 2.0 for me. I had it for 5 days. It is an 18JL Sahara. Loved to drive it, but on day 5 it broke down. Made it to dealer with 8.9 volts left. Dealer replaced 12v batter and said it was ok. Of course that made no sense. Next day, broke down again. Now waiting on Power Pack since 8-23. I just think there are too many new parts to this system. Has me very worried about keeping the vehicle past the warranty period. Vehicle is certified.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Love mine. Even with 37's power is same as stock. However, 4.88's are needed to correct the fuel economy if you step up to heavy 37's as it will search for 8th constantly. Something worth noting for folks.

dsievert66

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Technology and Analytics
I am in the process of purchasing a JL 2.0 and kinda freaked out by all the electrical and quality control issues. Anyone with experience recommend avoiding the 2.0 and going for the v6 instead?
THANKS!!
Well--I loved mine--a 2019 JLUR with about 8500 miles. Loved the jeep, look of the JL, the gas mileage, acceleration, and power. This is also my first Wrangler, not a first jeep owner. Hindsight, be aware that new models mean potential new headaches. I just ran into a major snag with the availability of parts and knowledge of new car design and experience at the dealer.

My Story:

Driving home one night my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree-- throttle warning lights, check engine, etc..... I had acceleration issues and the car stalled a few times. Fortunately, I got it to the dealer where they've now had it for over 1 month trying to diagnose and fix it under warranty.

First, they thought it was a 02 sensor, then it was believed to be a map sensor, and now they paired it down to what I think is the Boost actuator ( I may be mistaken on the name). It required the replacement of the entire Turbo! Hard to believe for a new car.

It took a week to figure out the first two issues, a week working with Jeep to diagnose and figure out it was the turbo, then over a week to get the turbo in, and now almost a week to install and put everything back together due to resource availability and experience with the car.

Fortunately, I was given a loaner from the dealer and JeepCares has been helping to escalate and coordinate with the dealer. Hoping to pick it up next week now and that there will be no other issues (keeping figures crossed). This is also right around the time where I believe Maryland Lemon Laws become applicable. Question is will I trust the car not to strand me and my family somewhere.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Well--I loved mine--a 2019 JLUR with about 8500 miles. Loved the jeep, look of the JL, the gas mileage, acceleration, and power. This is also my first Wrangler, not a first jeep owner. Hindsight, be aware that new models mean potential new headaches. I just ran into a major snag with the availability of parts and knowledge of new car design and experience at the dealer.

My Story:

Driving home one night my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree-- throttle warning lights, check engine, etc..... I had acceleration issues and the car stalled a few times. Fortunately, I got it to the dealer where they've now had it for over 1 month trying to diagnose and fix it under warranty.

First, they thought it was a 02 sensor, then it was believed to be a map sensor, and now they paired it down to what I think is the Boost actuator ( I may be mistaken on the name). It required the replacement of the entire Turbo! Hard to believe for a new car.

It took a week to figure out the first two issues, a week working with Jeep to diagnose and figure out it was the turbo, then over a week to get the turbo in, and now almost a week to install and put everything back together due to resource availability and experience with the car.

Fortunately, I was given a loaner from the dealer and JeepCares has been helping to escalate and coordinate with the dealer. Hoping to pick it up next week now and that there will be no other issues (keeping figures crossed). This is also right around the time where I believe Maryland Lemon Laws become applicable. Question is will I trust the car not to strand me and my family somewhere.
Sorry to hear about this. All new cars are a lot more complicated today. Part to do with additional components and electronics for cleaner more efficient vehicles. Saying that actual turbo failures are very rare. Sounds like you got a bad one. Invoke your State's Lemon Law rights and demand a Buy-Back. Good luck with this.

Sponsored

dsievert66

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Technology and Analytics
Sorry to hear about this. All new cars are a lot more complicated today. Part to do with additional components and electronics for cleaner more efficient vehicles. Saying that actual turbo failures are very rare. Sounds like you got a bad one. Invoke your State's Lemon Law rights and demand a Buy-Back. Good luck with this.
Thanks Viper. Really torn how hard I push for replacement as all the mods I did don't usually get covered (New bumpers, accessory switches, lights, .....). I'm sure I can fight for those or even take them back, but things like window tinting, my time, and others are hard to reimburse. They are offering extended warranty and other compensation for my troubles---Will see where it lands after I hopefully pick it up next week.

Curious--what experiences have others had with lemon law buybacks?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Thanks Viper. Really torn how hard I push for replacement as all the mods I did don't usually get covered (New bumpers, accessory switches, lights, .....). I'm sure I can fight for those or even take them back, but things like window tinting, my time, and others are hard to reimburse. They are offering extended warranty and other compensation for my troubles---Will see where it lands after I hopefully pick it up next week.

Curious--what experiences have others had with lemon law buybacks?
Check MD Lemon Law. Lemon Law / Buy-backs are regulated by State and vary by State. For example in WI you get back all the money you spent for accessories like your bumpers, tint, paint protection film, switches, etc. You get the cost of parts and labor if you paid for labor and have invoices.

I would not accept a extended warranty and monthly payments if your case definitely meet the criteria for Buy-Back under your State's Lemon Law. Some States allow for attorney fees to be recouped also. Call a Lemon Law lawyer in your State for advice. The first call or visit is usually free. Good Luck.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Not at all, it’s solid.. before lift and tires it was a damn sports car.. now lifted with 104lb wheel and tire combo it’s still sneaky fast when spooked properly

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019 JLUR
only regret is wish i had waited for diesel.... i got the 2.0 because i am primary driver when we road trip.... which is frequently... i hoped to get better mileage... but my wifes jl rubi with 3.6 does better on average.... and i let her drive mine for a while to see if it was driving style.... it is not..... only by 1 mpg or so.... but still was hoping for better

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
only regret is wish i had waited for diesel.... i got the 2.0 because i am primary driver when we road trip.... which is frequently... i hoped to get better mileage... but my wifes jl rubi with 3.6 does better on average.... and i let her drive mine for a while to see if it was driving style.... it is not..... only by 1 mpg or so.... but still was hoping for better
I have to agree the twin-turbo is fun.. but the gas milage was disappointing, also it sounds like an angry lawnmower when it's cold.. but other than that it's a great motor.. and overall i love it..
Sponsored