Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
I have no regrets. So since this post is about that, I will stop posting here and remove any alerts for this thread.
I just ignore anything the V6 guys have to say anyway when it comes to this thread. But along with yes/no on the regrets for the 2.0 owners, I would like to know why as well.
Sponsored

PoppaSim

First Name
Christopher yu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
infiniti m27x
I agree , love the acceleration, it’s a blast to drive , 0 issues thus far and no regrets , and if there are any issues I bought lifetime warranty so no reason to worry
how did u get lifetime warranty? please do tell.. i just bought the 2019 2.0 liter and didn't get offered that at all..

Jeepchrysler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jk
Love my 2.0, I drove the 2.0 and 3.6 back to back and the 2.0 put a smile on my face that the 3.6 did not do.
Perhaps I like that pep a bit more than most as I recently had a 2014 991 (in addition to my 2015 Jk Jeep) and before that a 650xi.
Have always been into luxury/sports cars until I bought my first Jeep.
The 2.0 Sahara with sky touch is my only car and I love it!

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
how did u get lifetime warranty? please do tell.. i just bought the 2019 2.0 liter and didn't get offered that at all..
the lifetime warranty is no longer offered starting 12/1/18. there are long term warranties that are still available though, search forum for "Tom Winkels" at Hayes Jeep (269-488-2080).

Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
When I went to pick it up they offered it to me , you don’t have to buy it from your dealer the price is negotiable and there is a thread on here somewhere, where people are getting great deals , I wish I’d a known that before purchasing mine , I paid 3 grand but read some folks got it for 2700

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
When I went to pick it up they offered it to me , you don’t have to buy it from your dealer the price is negotiable and there is a thread on here somewhere, where people are getting great deals , I wish I’d a known that before purchasing mine , I paid 3 grand but read some folks got it for 2700
It is no longer available, as stated above.

Sulo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I am loving my 2.0L Turbo! No problems and have been averaging 22.8 between daily driving and road trips. When taking long drives on highway it get just over 24.3mpg.
Hope this helps some of you here.

Happy trails!

Sulo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I agree , love the acceleration, it’s a blast to drive , 0 issues thus far and no regrets , and if there are any issues I bought lifetime warranty so no reason to worry
I also got the lifetime warranty so I'm not worried a bit. Good call!
Happy trails!

rogo66

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Picked my JLR up Monday in Eden, North Carolina and drove 600 miles home. When I showed up at the dealer I took it for a quick test drive so the salesman could fill it up with gas. While I'm checking out the interior he gets out to pump the gas. After he filled it up I noticed he put 87 octane in. No biggie. I left Eden and headed for Asheville, N.C. 200 miles away. I averaged 18.5 mpg. The next day I filled the tank with 93 octane and drove the remaining 400 miles home. What a difference... The Jeep ran better and my mpg went from 18.5 to 24.7. Jeep was much happier with the higher octane fuel. This was a mix of interstate, highway, and city driving.

Right now I'm really enjoying the 2.0L. Lots of elevation changes on the mountain roads I took and the engine felt strong. I won't be putting 87 octane in it!!

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Picked my JLR up Monday in Eden, North Carolina and drove 600 miles home. When I showed up at the dealer I took it for a quick test drive so the salesman could fill it up with gas. While I'm checking out the interior he gets out to pump the gas. After he filled it up I noticed he put 87 octane in. No biggie. I left Eden and headed for Asheville, N.C. 200 miles away. I averaged 18.5 mpg. The next day I filled the tank with 93 octane and drove the remaining 400 miles home. What a difference... The Jeep ran better and my mpg went from 18.5 to 24.7. Jeep was much happier with the higher octane fuel. This was a mix of interstate, highway, and city driving.

Right now I'm really enjoying the 2.0L. Lots of elevation changes on the mountain roads I took and the engine felt strong. I won't be putting 87 octane in it!!
FCA might sell more 2.0s IF the dealers would not cheap out and fill with 87 octane on 2.0 Turbo test drives. When the 2.0 Turbo first came out I did a test drive and noticed the sales person filling up the 2.0 with 87. I test drove another 2.0 filled with premium and there was a very noticeable difference in how it drove. Nice to hear your MPG improved also.

nymarty

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S 2-door
No regrets at all. I wanted the 2.0 and test drove it against 3.6. More oomph in my opinion. I had the 3.6 in my JK and never loved that engine. Hated that transmission too. The 2.0 with 8-speed is a great combo. Now all we need is some good aftermarket tuning to get more HP.

Engineer90

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI
New to this forum, not a Wrangler owner (yet, hopefully next year) and maybe my opinion won't matter, but I agree with some saying that a 2.0T should't be in a Wrangler. I own a 2016 VW GTI with a 2.0T and already had an issue with a coolant leak coming from a cracked water pump and a gasoline line going to the high pressure fuel pump at 34k miles... luckily I'm still under warranty and didn't pay a dime. Don't get me wrong, great engine and it's great for my GTI application, but they are vastly complicated and over-engineered. I had an old 2002 Audi with a 1.8T... and it had nothing but problems at about 110k miles. Had to replace the fuel pump, the coolant reservoir, water pump cracked, an intercooler, a bunch of rusted out lines and parts... I was fixing it monthly. Luckily I'm a YouTube Certified Tech so I do most jobs in my cars.

My point is, 2.0T for off-road I wouldn't trust, esp since you need instant torque in a lot of situations and again, reliability is compromised when having a more complicated engine. We all know Chrysler and VW have been some of the most unreliable car companies for years and have improved in the last few years, but I'd still be careful.

I know the 2.0T has e-Torque, just more over-complication down the road. Same with ESS, it's unnecessary imo, just more parts waiting to go bad (at least you can turn it off). That tech is fairly new, I'd like to see those cars at 100k with ESS.

I'll go with the Pentastar and 8-speed auto to be safe.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
New to this forum, not a Wrangler owner (yet, hopefully next year) and maybe my opinion won't matter, but I agree with some saying that a 2.0T should't be in a Wrangler. I own a 2016 VW GTI with a 2.0T and already had an issue with a coolant leak coming from a cracked water pump and a gasoline line going to the high pressure fuel pump at 34k miles... luckily I'm still under warranty and didn't pay a dime. Don't get me wrong, great engine and it's great for my GTI application, but they are vastly complicated and over-engineered. I had an old 2002 Audi with a 1.8T... and it had nothing but problems at about 110k miles. Had to replace the fuel pump, the coolant reservoir, water pump cracked, an intercooler, a bunch of rusted out lines and parts... I was fixing it monthly. Luckily I'm a YouTube Certified Tech so I do most jobs in my cars.

My point is, 2.0T for off-road I wouldn't trust, esp since you need instant torque in a lot of situations and again, reliability is compromised when having a more complicated engine. We all know Chrysler and VW have been some of the most unreliable car companies for years and have improved in the last few years, but I'd still be careful.

I know the 2.0T has e-Torque, just more over-complication down the road. Same with ESS, it's unnecessary imo, just more parts waiting to go bad (at least you can turn it off). That tech is fairly new, I'd like to see those cars at 100k with ESS.

I'll go with the Pentastar and 8-speed auto to be safe.
But, to be clear, not an owner and therefore everything you said was just an opinion based on no experience. Ok, ignored (again). But I do want to thank the actual owners who have taken the time to post their reviews. Very appreciated. Please keep posting your actual experiences.

Engineer90

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI
But, to be clear, not an owner and therefore everything you said was just an opinion based on no experience. Ok, ignored (again). But I do want to thank the actual owners who have taken the time to post their reviews. Very appreciated. Please keep posting your actual experiences.
Exactly why I said my opinion might not matter. I just have experience with 2.0T and 1.8T from VW, not Jeep. Which to be fair, most companies started "copying" VW's turbo engines.
Sponsored