Pipefitter

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
I am starting to have some at 700 miles, but I hope it is something that can be remedied. Only getting 17 mpg on my current tank, got 15/16 on my JK w/ the 5 speed automatic. My wife was already asking me why we spent the extra $1,000. Also I've only put in 93 octane fuel, unless of course I was getting cheated by the gas station, last tank was from Costco.
You should start getting better gas miles soon. I was getting 15-16mpg at first. I was thinking I got fooled but I think around 1000 miles is when I seen the gas miles getting better and better.

I'm at 2,500 miles now and I'm over 20 mpgs in the city.

Oh and I'm still very much in love with my 2.0T. Considering I knew I wanted the auto and 2.0T combo before hearing any reviews or test drive. I put my order in the same day or the following day the books open for order on the 2.0T. So after 6 months of waiting and being one of the first to get a 2.0T in Florida and 3 months of ownership. I'm EXTREMELY happy with the outcome.

Either engine will be fine. But if you ever been to the darkside then you know the turbo is better.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Lots of talk about the 2.0T requiring premium. Just chiming in to clarify that Jeep 100% states that premium is NOT required in the owner’s manual.

91 is preferred for optimal performance. Personally, I use 91 (wouldn’t have spent the coin on the engine if I didn’t want the performance), but the remarks regarding premium as a requirement are inaccurate.

The octane requirement is 87. For optimal performance, 91 is recommended.

Refer to the attached image from the owner’s manual (yellow highlighting is my own, for emphasis).

3001C41F-92DA-415A-8DE3-10AAD9035617.jpeg
First it says its ok then it says it might start to knock...
having to buy premium gas makes any savings in fuel milage a wash if not non existant...

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
First it says its ok then it says it might start to knock...
having to buy premium gas makes any savings in fuel milage a wash if not non existant...
Price for premium is a wash in my area. I'd definitely run premium with the 2.0 turbo no matter what the cost of premium is. I mean why not get the power and drivability you paid for? There is a noticeable difference in power and drivability between regular and premium. The turbo's added torque is noticeable compared to the 3.6. The forced induction is nice in higher altitudes. The ESS is smoother with BSG also. The 2.0 feels a little more agile. You also get a little more driving range per tank of gas, which is a plus on the 2-door since the gas tank is smaller. The down side is cost, some added complexity from the turbo, additional cooling lines and battery. And it's new technology for now. The warranty is 7/100K on the battery.

Last edited:

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
Price for premium is a wash in my area. I'd definitely run premium with the 2.0 turbo no matter what the cost of premium is. I mean why not get the power and drivability you paid for? There is a noticeable difference in power and drivability between regular and premium. The turbo's added torque is noticeable compared to the 3.6. The forced induction is nice in higher altitudes. The ESS is smoother with BSG also. The 2.0 feels a little more agile. You also get a little more driving range per tank of gas, which is a plus on the 2-door since the gas tank is smaller. The down side is cost, some added complexity from the turbo, additional cooling lines and battery. And it's new technology for now. The warranty is 7/100K on the battery.
I love the turbo I’m glad I waited for it ,the price of gasoline is a non factor for me

Sponsored

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
Hey, it’s your money, spend it how you want. And believe whatever you want. All I’m doing is trying to spread fact rather than hype. So, don’t bother to read the following, you won’t like it. It includes actual test results.

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/sprintbooster/SprintBooster.pdf

The important part that you're missing is the second half of the author's conclusion. The author does admit that it changes pedal feel, and personally, that's why I used one on my car. The feel of the stock throttle felt mushy, and with a PC it felt better. End of story. I didn't think it was improving acceleration or making my car faster, it just made the throttle feel better. And, FWIW, the author's final statement of "considering what it does it's expensive" is 100% opinion and cannot be debated. A couple hundred dollars to make my sports car feel better was well worth it to me.

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
It’s actually doing better then my Infinity M35 , that only got 14mpg
That’s like me with my Audi S4 (supercharged 6 cyl) that only got 17mpg around my place here in CT. Terrible traffic and lights. My 2.0T JL get 19.5 currently- not bad for a brick compared to the sleek Audi. BTW I sold the Audi and got a Tesla Model 3 Long Range 2wd for the mileage- 130mpg-e EPA. Same performance as my previous Audi but actually cheaper to buy and much better economy. Best of both worlds now for the next 10 years (that’s how long I keep my cars).

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I'd definitely run premium with the 2.0 turbo no matter what the cost of premium is. I mean why not get the power and drivability you paid for?
I love the turbo I’m glad I waited for it ,the price of gasoline is a non factor for me
Exactly. If you’re buying a turbo for fuel economy, you may not be happy.

If you’re buying a turbo for performance, you’ll be happy and are probably not someone who is going to fret over an extra $4 at the pump.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
You bought a Jeep! Why are you worried about fuel economy and speed? If you wanted good fuel mileage, go buy a Prius. If you want speed, go buy a Porsche. If you are off-roading, who cares. I run a 4 cyl TJ on 37’s and a 4:1. I like to play in the rocks. Everyone says, when you going to drop a V8 in it. I say never! I can wheel all weekend on a 1/2 tank of gas and go where everyone else goes and I don’t break thing.
Enjoy your shoebox! I have had 15 and enjoy everyone of them

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

If you’re buying a turbo for performance, you’ll be happy and are probably not someone who is going to fret over an extra $4 at the pump.
I think the turbo 2-door gets better mpg for sure, maybe 10% better. There are reports of low to mid 20mpg. I have never ever got close to 20MPG in my other Wranglers. I had a stock 4-cyclinder TJ that only got 15mpg going down hill. lol. My 2015 JK got about 17mpg so 20+mpg is big progress. It's FCA charging $1K extra and premium costing about 10% more that offsets any benefit cost wise. It's a well worth option when you consider what FCA is charging for other options. It's no different then any other option. Pay for what you want and can afford. People pay thousands for larger tires, wheels, LED lights, bumpers, racks, etc. $1K for a optional engine is no different. $1K for the turbo is a great deal compared to what FCA charges for LEDs and Proximity Entry, $500 foam Head Liners. lol. The extra cost for premium is one less Starbucks a week. Plus you get a little extra driving range with the turbo.

Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter

Exactly!!!

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I think the turbo 2-door gets better mpg for sure, maybe 10% better. There are reports of low to mid 20mpg. I have never ever got close to 20MPG in my other Wranglers. I had a stock 4-cyclinder TJ that only got 15mpg going down hill. lol. My 2015 JK got about 17mpg so 20+mpg is big progress. It's FCA charging $1K extra and premium costing about 10% more that offsets any benefit cost wise. It's a well worth option when you consider what FCA is charging for other options. It's no different then any other option. Pay for what you want and can afford. People pay thousands for larger tires, wheels, LED lights, bumpers, racks, etc. $1K for a optional engine is no different. $1K for the turbo is a great deal compared to what FCA charges for LEDs and Proximity Entry, $500 foam Head Liners. lol. The extra cost for premium is one less Starbucks a week. Plus you get a little extra driving range with the turbo.
Right. I don’t think anyone is claiming the turbo gets equal or worse MPGs. I can beat 21 MPG in my turbo 4 door running 37s when I want to.

It’s the economics that can be argued - but again - if you’re buying this for fuel economy, you may not be happy.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am just happy the Wrangler is so customizable and that there are options. Everyone can order and build exactly what they want for their individual circumstances. Everyone can have what they want for the most part. Everything except a 2-door Sahara or Moab. lol.

Last edited:

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
All 3 of my vehicles are Turbos and my motorcycles are 2-strokes, enough said.
Sponsored