Sponsored

Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

GenaL

First Name
Gena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2.0 2-door (Firecracker Red)
Waited for the automatic 2.0 L Turbo. Would not have bought a V6 (or standard). Only downside is the need for premium gas. Still, not regrets.
Sponsored

E J & G

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0 Turbo & 2015 Winnebago Vista 26HE
No regrets. Runs great and the extra torque at much lower rpm is very noticeable

I did however buy the lifetime unlimited miles and term warranty with a 100 deductible so I am covered as long as I own the Jeep. And I plan to keep it a long time

E J & G

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0 Turbo & 2015 Winnebago Vista 26HE
Also we own a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with 2.0 turbo AWD and have over 30,000 miles using regular fuel (mostly from Costco) with zero pinging or any issues. And have now Are doing the same with the JL seeing no performance issues at all.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
True confession time... my new JLUR was an impulse purchase. We found ourselves in the position of needing a new vehicle and I'd always wanted a Rubicon. It'd been on my short-but-just-out-of-reach list for a while so I knew more or less what I wanted but I hadn't done any recent research them (didn't even know a new JL version was out). Normally I research the heck out of vehicles before I buy and usually know more about them than the sales staff. But given our predicament we walked onto the lot totally unawares of what was what. After perusing the dealer stock we fell for a orange Rubicon that checked all the right boxes. The dealer even went so far as to let us take it home and test-fit in our garage (I'm one of those who always garages their vehicles). During the negotiations I was frantically researching the 2.0 engine, finding positive reviews all around. Later that afternoon we drove off in our brand new 2.0L Rubicon. Since then I have NEVER regretted getting the little turbo. She's fast, fuel efficient, and torquey. Granted there is a bit of trepidation on a first year model with new tech, but like another poster above we got the unlimited warranty (well it actually expired in 89 years according to the website) so any major issues should be covered. I plan on driving this jeep until they bury me in it or I can no longer get up into it. Hopefully the burying part won't be by accident ;) Time will tell the tale, but small displacement turbos are the wave of the future... figured I'd get on board now.

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Thanks for giving us guidelines on how to conduct our opinions... what would we ever do without your brilliant guidance? FYI, you totally sound like a guy that put a 2016 "I'm with her" sticker on your last rig. Gross.
This from a loser who names his Jeep “hoss” and challenges people to meet him in a mud field.
You are an idiot. Leave politics out of this. Clearly you are too ignorant to read, this thread was directed toward those who own a 2.0, if you don’t own one then move along

OP
OP
huckleberryshin

huckleberryshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
IMG_20181111_172938_385.jpg

So just an update. I pulled the trigger on the 2.0L and have had no issues so far. Just passed the first 1k and even did some off roading. The 2.0L has met my needs and I've been absolutely loving it. This new JL is truly something special.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
My Jeep surprised me when I was making a right hand turn and had to get on it a bit to pull out into traffic....really barked the 37's! My daily is a built cummins ram 2500 pushing 600hp so I am a tough critic...and this little turbo motor is awesome.

Sponsored

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
Why was the 2.0 Made that is the question? with the numbers so close what drove the innovation? MPG/CARB/EPA in my research I chose to pass on the 2.0 hoping for the owners it proves to be reliable ...so I'm definitely not a hatter ..just trying to understand its Reason for existence we do know that huge fines are paid for bad EPA and Less MPG's by Car manufacturers etc... so it appears that the one reason for it is to Save FCA money. and give comparable results of what's already Proven and in production, I don't know for sure but it all seems to lead to cost-cutting that combined with the 3 cooling systems and other Maintenance complexities a little scary for me .but when TFL./youtube drove both on the Rubicon they loved the turbo @ first but after wheeling the 3.6 they just said they would buy the 3.6 they said the power delivery was better and the V6 had that Ummph

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Why was the 2.0 Made that is the question? with the numbers so close what drove the innovation? MPG/CARB/EPA in my research I chose to pass on the 2.0 hoping for the owners it proves to be reliable ...so I'm definitely not a hatter ..just trying to understand its Reason for existence we do know that huge fines are paid for bad EPA and Less MPG's by Car manufacturers etc... so it appears that the one reason for it is to Save FCA money. and give comparable results of what's already Proven and in production, I don't know for sure but it all seems to lead to cost-cutting that combined with the 3 cooling systems and other Maintenance complexities a little scary for me .but when TFL./youtube drove both on the Rubicon they loved the turbo @ first but after wheeling the 3.6 they just said they would buy the 3.6 they said the power delivery was better and the V6 had that Ummph
The dyno isn't "close". There's a night and day difference. MPG I haven't seen enough reliable data to make a call on, but the early reports are a fairly decent increase for the 2.0. May be offset by the cost premium for premium right now, but that will change as oil prices go up. Not sure what to say on the TFL comments, I've not driven the 2.0 or 3.6 offroad, only on-road. The 2.0 was clearly better on-road to myself as well as my passenger. TFL isn't known for being a good judge of much of anything. They're the clown of the car review organizations, the numbers for 0-60/etc they report are all silly.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
The V6 is a great motor. No disputing it. That said, I sold my JLUR to buy a power wagon but I will own another JL. It will be the Turbo 2 door. For my altitude, I won’t be going naturally aspirated again. The turbo will run circles around the 6 up here and most likely everywhere. Now, longevity will be the key. We all know the 6 already has this.