Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

AJBekech

First Name
April
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
I am in the process of purchasing a JL 2.0 and kinda freaked out by all the electrical and quality control issues. Anyone with experience recommend avoiding the 2.0 and going for the v6 instead?
THANKS!!
I Love mine!! No regrets!
Sponsored

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
My regret would be that I didn't have the balls to purchase one.. Our first test drive was a turbo. Only issue was the color and there was not another in our color choice on the spot. Salesman didn't know if it was the 6 or 4 when he handed us the keys (I asked). I knew instantly it was the 4 as soon as I pulled on the highway. Had to pull over on the test drive and pop the hood. I was like "I knew it!" .. This sucker is the 4 cylinder. It was impressive for sure. I wish the 6 ran like it to be honest. In the end, I just didn't have enough knowledge (aka balls) to go for the 4 based on that. Premium was another factor in the decision. But what I can say is I don't stop thinking about how she ran. There is a difference in my butt dyno for sure.

I hope everyone that had the balls to go for it enjoys their ride. I know I would if I had one. I'm just weaker than you.
You’ll get it next time! And in the meantime you get to enjoy another awesome ride. It is, after all, a JL... And let’s face it: 2 doors or 4, Turbo or 3.6, hard top or soft top —- they’re all great! :rock:

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Lots of talk about the 2.0T requiring premium. Just chiming in to clarify that Jeep 100% states that premium is NOT required in the owner’s manual.

91 is preferred for optimal performance. Personally, I use 91 (wouldn’t have spent the coin on the engine if I didn’t want the performance), but the remarks regarding premium as a requirement are inaccurate.

The octane requirement is 87. For optimal performance, 91 is recommended.

Refer to the attached image from the owner’s manual (yellow highlighting is my own, for emphasis).

3001C41F-92DA-415A-8DE3-10AAD9035617.jpeg

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
Cool.. I mean if you have a 2.0 Turbo and have had no problems, then of course why wouldn't people like it.

But: From a design stand point, I just disagree defending all the cooling lines, 48v battery etc. for negligible return vs all the cost and yes, potential failure. I love new technology, but not so much when it looks slapped on as an after thought. Basically, I guess they couldn't find a reasonable place to attach that battery, then whip out a plumber to get coolant to it. One noted power windows and locks. I've seen vehicles with manual backup for power windows, which may never be necessary, but good engineering. The 91 octane out of the box was a killer for me, when there are heavier vehicles doing 14 second 1/4 miles on 89 octane. As to the V6, that is crazy enough needing two batteries, but at least there is no plumbing to one.
I thought the engine was specifically built the JL? I doubt this motor was an afterthought. Either way, different strokes for different folks. I has two 3.6 auto JK. The motor wasn't extremely awesome but good enough. Now, the 2.0 feels like a fraight train. But I hate the weak hp of the 2.0T kinds of feels tinnie if that makes sense, But I hardly go above 5k rpm because the wide power band of torque is all that is needed. But I'm sure a flash will fix that. Which is better? That's up to your taste. Get what YOU want. I know I did.

unixfool

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU - Sting Gray 2.0L Hard Top Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the engine was specifically built the JL? I doubt this motor was an afterthought. Either way, different strokes for different folks. I has two 3.6 auto JK. The motor wasn't extremely awesome but good enough. Now, the 2.0 feels like a fraight train. But I hate the weak hp of the 2.0T kinds of feels tinnie if that makes sense, But I hardly go above 5k rpm because the wide power band of torque is all that is needed. But I'm sure a flash will fix that. Which is better? That's up to your taste. Get what YOU want. I know I did.
The 2.0L Wrangler engine is a variation of what's in the lower tier Alfa Romeo Guilia sedans. The engine actually has a very good and broad spread of power in the Guilia and is tuned to make power in the midrange (because revving the piss out of an engine to reach the power isn't something that's always desired in a sports car). The 2.0t in the Guilia has gotten great reviews, actually. It doesn't try to out-power 2.0 engines of other EU makes because it just needs to perfectly compliment the car that it's sitting in, and it does.

The variant in the Wrangler is tuned toward the mid/low range, because it's basically a truck. What's of benefit is it's responsiveness and ample torque. If you didn't know it's peak HP rating and just drove the vehicle, you probably wouldn't think it had "weak hp". I've not seen a Wrangler review yet that hinted that the two engines weren't at least equal (and there's quite a bit of info showing that the 2.0L is actually making a good bit more torque across the whole operational range of both the 2.0L and 3.6L engines), and I've not see any reviewer say that the 2.0L was weak. People tend to think it's weak because all they focus on is peak HP figures, which doesn't offer real insight as to how an engine performs.

Sponsored

StingGreyTwitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Hydro-Blue Polar Edition | 2018 Sting Grey Rubicon
My regret is that the stage 1 tune has not arrived yet :) I love the 2.0 , its very punchy and I am so glad I waited for it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Figured I would mention here, in case any of you 2.0 Turbo owner's might be interested........

Anyway, the Tazer JL and Tazer JL Lite do the deed lets say with a 2.0, just as they do the deed with the 3.6.

Actually, I believe the Tazer JL and Tazer JL Lite are presently the only JL programmers that work with the 2.0.

thewise1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Turbo 2door Stingray Sport and 6cyl 4door White Sahara
Don't need premium in the bike but harley sure sounds happy with it ... Just say'n :)

DirtyDina

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I test drove a two door base Sport turbo first, little lag but quick, I was surprisingly impressed. Then drove the two door base Sport 3.6 and it was no comparison. That 3.6 was flat ripping down the road. I loved it, much more spirited driving experience with instantaneous power almost anytime at any speed. The turbo wasn't even an option after that. I bought the 3.6 the same day I drove it.

IMG_0412.jpg

lwebs

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
carbucks.ca
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, JLU Safari
Occupation
Retired
A bunch of us waited some time for the 2.0 Turbo. I’ve not heard a single owner express regret about their purchase. It outperforms the 3.6 on just about every metric. Jeep likes the 2.0 so much they are talking about building a 3.0 six cylinder version of it.

I did let myself be talked into the extended five year warranty. If you are worried about the technology breaking, then that may be the smart move.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I test drove a two door base Sport turbo first, little lag but quick, I was surprisingly impressed. Then drove the two door base Sport 3.6 and it was no comparison. That 3.6 was flat ripping down the road. I loved it, much more spirited driving experience with instantaneous power almost anytime at any speed. The turbo wasn't even an option after that. I bought the 3.6 the same day I drove it.

IMG_0412.jpg
Man, I wish “letters out” was a tire mounting option when I ordered my 2dr waaaay back in December 2017. Looks awesome on your rig! (I’m not about to pay to have my tires flipped around, now.)

Anyway, great pic.

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
Man, I wish “letters out” was a tire mounting option when I ordered my 2dr waaaay back in December 2017. Looks awesome on your rig! (I’m not about to pay to have my tires flipped around, now.)

Anyway, great pic.
It is an option - at least it is on the Rubicon.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
It is an option - at least it is on the Rubicon.
It is now, but I was an early adopter and it wasn’t when I ordered.

snide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Grand Cherokee
I agree , love the acceleration, it’s a blast to drive , 0 issues thus far and no regrets , and if there are any issues I bought lifetime warranty so no reason to worry
Cost of lifetime warranty???
Sponsored