Sponsored

Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

huckleberryshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I am in the process of purchasing a JL 2.0 and kinda freaked out by all the electrical and quality control issues. Anyone with experience recommend avoiding the 2.0 and going for the v6 instead?
THANKS!!
Sponsored

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere
Just my opinion but:
1. Costs more
2. BSG complicatedness, coolant lines, many extra parts etc.
3. Turbo lag
4. Historically turbo motors don't last as long as NA motors.
5. A lot more parts to break with a turbo.
6. First year motor.
7. BSG battery replacement over $1500
8. Manual is not an option (may not apply to you)
9. Yet to be proven if there is any gas mileage benefit
10. 15 Less horsepower (concede 35 more ft-lb of torque), yet to be proven 2.0 is quicker.
11. 2 recalls already
12. If there is any gas savings, that savings is eaten up by the 91 octane fuel requirement
13. Made in Italy

Last edited:

Sponsored

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
I am in the process of purchasing a JL 2.0 and kinda freaked out by all the electrical and quality control issues. Anyone with experience recommend avoiding the 2.0 and going for the v6 instead?
THANKS!!
Nope. Love mine.

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
Love mine as well , wouldn’t change a thing
It’s interesting to note that so far the two negative reviews appear to be from folks who don’t own Turbos, and the five positive ones appear to be from folks who do.

I don’t think we can read much into that (the nay-sayers will say owners are rationalizing their decisions; the yay-sayers will say that thousands of miles of actual driving are worth more than second-hand observations). Nonetheless one should find comfort in the knowledge that owners are clearly happy.

No vehicle is perfect or risk-free (the 3.6 threads themselves are far from trouble-free), but I love the responsiveness and sporty feel of my Turbo. So far I’ve enjoyed it for 8 weeks and 2600 miles. I’ve driven on highways and mountain roads, off-roading (mud, rocks, 25+ degree slopes, etc) and fighting city traffic. Happy to report that it’s been a lot of fun in these various conditions. It feels powerful, the accelerations put a smile on my face, it’s quiet. It just feels like a modern, good quality engine. Of course the real test will be 30,000 or 50,000 miles - but so far, so good. :like:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
THANKS!!
Nobody has had one long enough to regret it. But they will....

Does anybody even look at what they're buying anymore? The 2.0L has coolant lines running to the rear of the vehicle to help keep that eTorque hardware from catching fire. Jeep Informant just showed a video where a brand new delivery was leaking coolant back there. Ridiculous. That's going to be a constant maintenance item. And all that wiring for the 48v system. And a coolant bottle you can't read without pulling a dipstick? Replacing plugs every 30k? Premium fuel? Induction system cleanings periodically to remove the carbon buildup from the direct fuel injection? What happens when you need to replace a turbo or BSG unit out of warranty? Thousands of bucks. And that's after you spend $1,000 for the option up front, plus $2,000 for the default automatic transmission upgrade you are forced into.

And all of this for slightly more torque and slightly less horsepower, netting an overall similar performance ratio.

Seems like a terrible trade-off to me.

Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
It’s interesting to note that so far the two negative reviews appear to be from folks who don’t own Turbos, and the five positive ones appear to be from folks who do.

I don’t think we can read much into that (the nay-sayers will say owners are rationalizing their decisions; the yay-sayers will say that thousands of miles of actual driving are worth more than second-hand observations). Nonetheless one should find comfort in the knowledge that owners are clearly happy.

No vehicle is perfect or risk-free (the 3.6 threads themselves are far from trouble-free), but I love the responsiveness and sporty feel of my Turbo. So far I’ve enjoyed it for 8 weeks and 2600 miles. I’ve driven on highways and mountain roads, off-roading (mud, rocks, 25+ degree slopes, etc) and fighting city traffic. Happy to report that it’s been a lot of fun in these various conditions. It feels powerful, the accelerations put a smile on my face, it’s quiet. It just feels like a modern, good quality engine. Of course the real test will be 30,000 or 50,000 miles - but so far, so good. :like:
I agree , love the acceleration, it’s a blast to drive , 0 issues thus far and no regrets , and if there are any issues I bought lifetime warranty so no reason to worry

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
No regrets. Waited 200 plus days to get one. I've averaged 19.5 mpgs with 37's city with highway at 75.
It did awesome in Moab and at low speed.
The acceleration is awesome, like someone else commented puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.
The Stop start is barley noticeable.
Love it, love it, love it.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
LOL, I remember when people used to complain that these new fangled computer controlled engines and fuel injection would ruin the internal combustion engine forever.
Shhh....

It's a cycle. Now that us youngsters have gotten older, we want what we grew up with to stay in place.

:popcorn:

I, myself, went with the naturally aspirated V6 and manual transmission.

:clip long explanation:

The Subaru spoiled me and then hit me up side the head with the reality of turbocharging. Never again.

giphy.gif
Sponsored